Calf Creek Campground - Boulder, Utah

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by AlCat, Feb 10, 2016.

1. AlCat

AlCat Junior Ranger Donating Member

Hi. I'm looking for some advice.

I'll be in Utah in August, and hope to camp at Calf Creek, which does not take reservations. If we show up at Calf Creek and it is full, do you have any suggestions for nearby camping spots (with the TD)?

For example, if there is federal land nearby, do you know if it is suitable for camping for a few nights?

There is a campground on a nearby lake (Escalante Petrified Forest State Park Campground - 20 minutes from Calk Creek), but that is not my preferred spot.

-Al

2. AlCat

Also, if anyone has a good resource who I could check with, that would be appreciated. There is a public lands association who I have emailed, but I have not heard back, yet. (http://publiclands.org/Get-Books-and-Maps.php?plicstate=UT)

I could perhaps find a way to contact the local BLM office, or perhaps a local guide would offer advice.....We do plan to talk with a local guide, as we may want a guide when exploring some slot canyons.

-Al

3. jimtiffany

jimtiffany Novice

Hi Al,

We were in that area about a year and a half ago. Beautiful country. We didn't camp at Calf Creek, but we passed by it enroute from Bryce Canyon NP to Capitol Reef NP. I understand your concern about first-come-first-serve campgrounds filling up. We were very surprised to find loads of Europeans in rented RVs swarming the campgrounds. Apparently, the word is out in Europe that a cool vacation is to rent an RV in Las Vegas and camp throughout Utah. The best advice is to get to your preferred campground early in the day. That way you can see who is packing up to leave and nab their spot as soon as they pull out. As an example, we spent the night in Escalante and left very early to arrive at Capitol Reef by 9am, which worked out great.

As I recall, most of that region is in Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument, so camping is controlled by the Forest Service. It would be worth your while to visit a Forest Service office to get info on the FS campgrounds to use as Plan B. We went to the office in Escalante. If you're coming from the other direction, I think there is one near Capitol Reef. Those guys have the best local knowledge, like where it is safe to pull off overnight if you are stuck without a campsite.

You might also consider calling ahead to Kiva Koffeehouse, which is just 2 miles south of Calf Creek CG, to find out if you can boondock behind their place if need be. And there's a motel and RV park in Escalante.

As reference material, I use Delorme Atlas and Gazetteer map books. They are detailed topo maps with all kinds of recreation information, including public and private campgrounds and public land boundaries. I find it useful in the Southwest to know the boundaries of BLM land where you can camp anywhere that has been previously used.

Good luck. I'm sure you will have a great adventure. Next time I'm through there, I'll check out Calf Creek!

4. Jim and Sue L.

Jim and Sue L. Junior Ranger

Way to go, Jim and Ani! I don't think I could add anything to that fantastic hoard of info except impress the importance of getting to the campground early.

Southern Utah is one of our favorite camping areas...and it seems most of the world is of that same opinion. We go there late spring - around Easter - and it's crowded then, but we usually manage to find a camp site. So beautiful there.

By the way, when you're near Brice there's a small campground called Koda Chrome Canyon (yes, just like the old camera film) and they take reservations, but call way the heck in advance. A little out of the way, but gorgeous.

Have a blast and share your adventure with us lonely, house bound slobs (getting the old place up to snuff for sale so we can re-locate and can't go camping this season - Wah! I'm so jealous.)

5. AlCat

Thanks fgor the info!!

Also:
    BLM
    Kanab Headquarters
    669 South Highway 89A
    Kanab, Utah 84741
    (435) 644-1200
    Fax (435) 644-1305
    escalante_interagency@blm.gov

and (from a local):

If the Calf Creek campground is full, sometimes they will let you camp at the group area--if not in use. Generally speaking, you can camp on BLM-managed lands (the call it "dispersed camping") as long as you don't block the road and you don't drive cross country. We usually pick a dirt road, drive down a ways, and camp. Plan to arrive at Calf Creek early in the afternoon to have the best chance to get a site. Camping within the Calf Creek Recreation Area is $15/night. Make sure you have the right maps.

6. Jim and Sue L.

And speaking of Kanab - check the little local grocery stores while you're there (not the big chains) for Kanab Ranch beef. OH!!!!! The best ever!

Now I really want to go back to Utah.

Sue

7. AlCat

thanks for the tip!!

8. Bunni

Bunni Novice

Here are a few web sites we use that may help in your search.

https://www.boondockerswelcome.com/ https://www.campendium.com/
    These are two of the boondocker sites out there

http://www.ultimatecampgrounds.com/uc3/index.php
    This site has the most complete list of public campgrounds we have found. The free online site is a bit clunky (Map is very slow to update) but useable. We bought the app and its works pretty well. No reviews just info about CG's.

Looks like there may be a few BLM sites near by. Hope this helps.

BTW We are camp hosting at Bryce Canyon NP in our Airstream from 1 April - 15 July if any CI folks are out that way please stop by and say hello.

Special offer for CampInn owners only free cup of coffee BYOC (bring your own cup) and fee advice too! :grin:.

Sometimes we really miss our CI. Can't just blindly go down the road knowing you can always just unhitch and spin that sucker around and head back... not so much with the Airstream :(

Cheers,
    Benn

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  9. Jim and Sue L.

Another tip -

At the campground in Capitol Reef there's a little museum/store. Home made pies fresh every morning. Absolutely the best I've tasted since grandma passed over.

Also, as there is no shower in the campground, you have to drive a few miles over to a small town (forgot the name - starts with a T, but there isn't any other around for miles) use the shower rooms in the back. Very nice showers, but that's not the point. At that store is a good supply of Kanab beef in vacuum packs. The sirloin is particularly good.

Camp On,

Sue

10. AlCat

Great!!

Torrey?
    Teasdale?
    Grover?
    Fruita?

11. jimtiffany

jimtiffany Novice

We used the showers at a general store in Torrey. Although Capitol Reef's Fruita campground doesn't have showers, it does have some great self-pick orchards. Late summer into fall is the harvest; stone fruit, then apples. Delicious and cheap. Makes up for having to drive into town for a shower.

12. AlCat

Thanks for the shower tip, Jim.

I've been to the orchards at Fruita, but it was out of season (so no fruit).

I could go to Capitol Reef 100 hundred times and still want to go back for more.

-Al

13. AlCat

Just spent a few days in Fruita. Picked some apples, ate some pie, did some GREAT hikes.

Folks should visit Capitol Reef SOON as visitation is growing and they will soon have a new visitors center and more. The advantage of going in August is the heat keeps some folks away.

-al

14. Fruita and Capitol Reef are real gems. We were there in June for a couple of nights. Picked apricots and got strawberry rhubarb pie at the Gifford House.