SC State Park Calhoun Falls State Park

Discussion in 'Southeast' started by Warren Mary Ellen, Jan 21, 2018.

1. Did not stay here yet , but we did go down for a hike with the dogs. After having snow on Wednesday, we hit 70 today in Upstate SC. I wasn't kidding in another post when I said you can get hypothermia and sunburned in the same week. This is one of the newer state parks in South Carolina and is on Lake Russell which was built in the early '80s and the park is around 15-20 years old. While we were there we scouted out the campground, which is well planned and the sites are all level with a picnic table, fire ring, lantern post with a large area to spread out your gear.

There are two loops and right now only 1 is open for the winter. A lot of sights are on the water with both pull through and back ins. Since this is a newer campground, the sites are spread out a little bit so are you are not on top of your neighbor with some set off by themselves. Bathrooms with showers and each loop had a playground. There were some outdoor showers if you have been in the lake. This part of the state is red clay so if you do go in, you will won't to watch off the red shirt. And don't go in with in cotton on or it will be permanently dyed. There is a fishing pier as well.

This state park has a small marina and boat ramp too. This Lake is pretty remote and not very developed. It is a COE lake and is on the SC-GA state line. The Corps does not allow docks on this lake and all of the towns near are small like Calhoun Falls. You had better like being remote if you do go or don't mind a 45 minute or so drive to a city of decent size. Since this is one of 3 lakes along the state line you can find several other state parks that you could jump from one to other very easily. The other two lakes are Strom Thurmond (Clarks Hill if you live in Ga.) or Hartwell which is the one closest to my house. On the weekends this park is pretty hard to get a site in because anyone who fishes and camps knows this is a great spot.

The county is Abbeville that it is in and the city of Abbeville is small is a pretty neat town. Several good restaurants there and it is an older town with some local history to it. You can visit the house where Jefferson Davis and his cabinet decided to disband the Confederacy. There is an old Opera House that puts on plays and concerts that are quite good. If you saw the '90s Movie. Sleeping with the Enemy you have seen Abbeville. It was filmed there.

Calhoun Falls | South Carolina Parks Official Site

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
  2. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

I could use some of that 70 degree weather. Great story telling.