FOR SALE Camp-Inn For Sale Scam on Craigslist

Discussion in 'For Sale / Wanted' started by Betsey, Apr 7, 2018.

1. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

Hi All!

The following listing on Craigslist out of Baltimore is not a legitimate sale.

2008 Camp-Inn Teardrop Travel Trailer, 550 Ultra Camping AC & Furnace

The camper shown is one of our old loaners that was sold last year and that person is not selling it. The photos are ones Cary had taken to use for posting the sale on Ebay. I have marked it as prohibited but wanted to share it in case anyone came across it.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
    Tour 931, AlCat and Ben like this.
  2. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

Thanks for looking out for us.

3. KenO

KenO Novice Donating Member

Had encountered this posting on Craigslist and contacted the "seller". He answered me after a couple of days with the following:

On Mar 27, 2018, at 12:29 PM, Rob & Cathy <cathy.hartsfield@archleague.me> wrote:

Thank you, it should go a lot smoother now that we have each others emails. I am sorry for the late replies, but we are also in the middle of a property purchase and doing both at the same time proves to be a little challenging. We barely have time to check our email but I can assure you we are doing it as often as we can. So please bear with us because we are not ignoring your emails or anything.

I my previous messages I was saying that we are selling the trailer through AZC, are you familiar with that?

Meanwhile please find more pictures attached.

Thank you!
    Rob
    A couple days later with this:

No problem. The trailer is also listed with AZC I was talking about, so I think it would be easier to just send you the link: Inventory #  118203 - AutoZabi Consignment & Sales
    Sorry for using acronyms, I should have mentioned it from the beginning and spare some conversation time. AZC stands for AutoZabi Consignment or autozabiconsignment.com and it's a consignment service for vehicles and large items mostly. A quick look on their website should give you an idea about how they work or what they are exactly, but since you've mentioned you are not familiar with the service I can give you a quick rundown of the process. There are a few things worth mentioning.
    First, the trailer is already stored with them, so should you be interested in buying it, you must go through their website by registering as a buyer. Once your registration is complete, they will send an Invoice with step by step instructions on how to complete the transaction: payment instructions, your bill of sale, transaction info etc. You must follow the payment instructions to send and confirm the payment with AutoZabi Consignment and the shipping process will start once that's completed. The shipping should not take long ... according to their website, they guarantee to have anything delivered in maximum 5 business days, but I am sure it will take less since that's their margin.
    So that's the basic buying process. There's also a delivery inspection and a 7 day money back guarantee which means that you will have an AZC representative on site at delivery to answer your questions if you have any ... or to show you how things work. The 7 Day money back guarantee starts the day the trailer is delivered, not the day it is shipped. It actually starts the moment you sign the delivery papers. This costs nothing as it is part of their guarantees.
    The trailer was also pre inspected before even being listed for sale and passed their inspection flawlessly.
    They also have a return policy which makes me responsible for everything in case you need to return it, which I am confident it won't be the case. We know what we're selling.
    So that should be it.... can't think of anything else I should mention and I don't want to make this email longer than it already is. If you have any questions please feel free to ask.
    Also, please consider that if you register as a buyer for our trailer, it will also make it unavailable to other people and I have a few interested. So should you be interested in buying, make sure you understand the process completely or ask any questions before you register....I am sure neither of us have any time to loose.
    Thank you,
    Rob & Cathy
    I didn't click the link and tried to google it - no dice. Ive tried to report it as a scam (hit the prohibited link) but not really sure how that works. I think that if a lot of people mark it as prohibited, they'll take it down. Maybe a few more folks can try. Thanks.

KenO

4. Van_and_Terri

Van_and_Terri Ranger

Sounds like they have their scam down to the last detail. It’s almost a sport with me playing with the scammers and telemarketers.

5. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

Lookup Tom Mabe's telemarketer response. It is hilarious.

Van_and_Terri likes this.
  6. Van_and_Terri

Van_and_Terri Ranger

He was my inspiration!

Tour 931 likes this.
  7. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

KenO,

You got a lot more information out of him than I did...he still hasn't answered my email. I said that as it was an older CI, I was curious what # it was. If you have further contact with him, see if he'll give you that info. I would also be interested in the pictures he attached are. Can you post them here or message me a link?

Thanks!

8. KenO

KenO Novice Donating Member

Betsey,

I stopped emailing him after I got the second email as I knew it was a scam after receiving it. I had been through this same type of exchange on a John Deere tractor a year or two ago. They want for you to send money and they'll deliver the item for inspection, fully refundable of course. I've marked it as prohibited quite a few times but it's still posted. Good Luck. Thanks.

KenO