Campground recommendations West Virginia/Maryland?

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by Biggie, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Biggie

Biggie Novice

A new job just took one of our sons from Boulder CO to Shepherdstown WV (near the Maryland border on the Potomac). In anticipation of visiting him there, we were wondering if anyone has any campground experiences /recommendations to share with us. I did find a Greenbrier State Park in western Maryland which is about 1/2 hour away. We have never traveled in that area or the Washington DC area (about 90 miles away) and are looking forward to seeing all the historical sites!

2. Jim and Sue L.

Jim and Sue L. Junior Ranger

Oooo, nice area. We were south of there, camping along Skyline Drive in the Shenandoah National Park in Virginia. Not too far south of Harpers Ferry at the confluence of the Shenandoah and Potomac Rivers; a must see for all Civil War enthusiasts. Beautiful country all around. Take Rt. 67 from Shepherdstown to Harpers Ferry. It's a pretty short hop, but the Shenandoah NP is a bit away.

For a nice place to camp on the way, if you're going through Pennsylvania, along I70/76 out of Pittsburgh, there's Ohiopyle State Park and all those lovely Frank Lloyd Wright homes like Falling Water and Kentuck Nob.

There are campgrounds around Dc, but we never stayed in any as we have family there. Maybe someone will hop in here and give you some help with that.

Not much help for ya, but we tried. Okay, guys, chime in with the info for Terry and Julie!

Sue

3. Mark_inMA

Mark_inMA Novice

While on my pickup loop around most of the eastern US, I spent a night at Cherry Hill Park the closest to Washington DC.
    Cherry Hill Park It is just outside the northern I-495 beltway adjacent to the I-95 N ramp. Although it is in sight of the highway
    the traffic noise is minimal. They have tent spots, back-ins with AC&H2O+grey, pull throughs with 30A / 50A
    and some cabins for fly-in family members. It is a good sized park with 400 spots.
    They cluster the types of spots so your neighbors would be pop-ups, truck campers or small trailers,
    not Class A monsters. It is an urban private park, but there is reasonable 15'(?) grass space between the gravel
    and paved slots with picnic table and fire ring. (see Google)

The distributed bath houses are quite clean with a nice bench in each shower stall to dry your feet and heat in March!
    The park is family friendly with two well equiped playgrounds and a pool with spray feature. They have a large shelter
    on a city bus line with good connections to/from the city every half hour.
    They also have Laundry, free WiFi and a good sized camper supply store. They even show pet walkers available.

It is a clean/groomed park and the people seemed friendly to me at all times even check in.
    There were no evening rowdies but also no gestapo feel like some private parks have.

d= d= (two thumbs up)

Being full feature and IN Washington DC plus heated shower rooms, the current $62 (2013) back-in seems reasonable to me.
    Not sure if they have seasonal rates.

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Novice

Make the short drive south to Pohick Bay regional campground in Lorton VA. It has electric at every site. It's very wooded. They have nice clean heated bathhouses with laundry. On site mini golf, frisbee golf, paddle boats, water park, propane, wifi. It's about $30 per night.

5. JoeinKY

JoeinKY Newbie

Another good place to stay in DC area is Greenbelt National Park in Greenbelt MD. We stayed there the end of May for a couple of nights. The park is completely surrounded by town but the campground is in the middle of 1200 acres of woods so traffic noise is minimal. Subway station is about a mile away and there are plenty of stores and restaurants in the area. We took the subway into DC each day and did the tourist things. If you do ride the subway get the daily pass, you can ride all day anywhere in the system for one price, think it was about $13.00. From Greenbelt to the mall in DC took about 30 min on subway, no traffic or parking hassle. Good level paved sites, bathhouses had showers for about $20/night through ReserveAmerica.
    Just passed by on the way home from DC trip but Seneca Rocks in WV is very scenic also.

6. mcjimjam

mcjimjam Junior Ranger Donating Member

This might be after the fact, but we stayed at Greenbrier SP in MD, back in July of 2013. The campsites were very nice, and if you like hiking, the AT runs through it (almost the halfway point). The park staff was very helpful, and told us that there are great views from Washingtom Monument SP, which is close by. We plan on making a return trip, in the future!

7. Claudia

Claudia Newbie

We just finished a week at Cunningham Falls State park, MD. Site 9. It was beautiful the entire week.

8. Dahava

Dahava Novice

I stayed in Fort Frederick SP in Big Pool, MD and was the ONLY person in the entire campground! I was there in November. My site was 15 feet from the Potomac. Beautiful!