Canopy Weights for REIAlcove?

Discussion in 'Other Gear & Equipment' started by Randy, May 11, 2015.

1. Randy

Randy Ranger Donating Member

One of the hardest setup chores for me is pounding stakes into the cement-like So Cal ground for the Alcove. Anyone know if the slotted Canopy weights work with the Alcove?

Thanks

2. pbaker2225

pbaker2225 Junior Ranger Donating Member

The slotted weights are not heavy enough to be main tie downs. If you can get in some main tie downs and just use them for secondary they will help. I think you could get more weight with the water jug idea and then not have to carry around a lot of extra weight.

3. AlCat

AlCat Junior Ranger Donating Member

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  4. pbaker2225

The ones I have are a disk shape with a slot so they can be slipped around a tent pole. They only weigh about five pounds each. Of course you could stack them to make more weight in one spot. You would have to carry a lot of them to do any good.

5. pbaker2225

I got big nails appx. six or seven inches long and 3/8 inch in diameter and had my son-in-law weld large washers onto them. They pound in nicely and don't break. You use your hatchet and pry them out by the washer. Better not to use galvinised if you are going to weld as the fumes are really toxic when you weld them. I just carry a big bag of these in my under bed storage so I have them handy.

6. Randy

7. Randy

Hey Pat,

Have your son in law weld up four more and let me know how much with shipping! Sounds like an awesome idea!,

R :)

8. AlCat

AlCat Junior Ranger Donating Member

9. pbaker2225

Randy, Those are heavier than the ones I have. I just don't like the idea of carrying all that extra weight and never take mine along. I use them at home but not for their intended purpose. Alcat has a good solution with the water bags. Easy to pack and you have them when you need them.
    Kind of hard to catch up with my son-in-law these days to get anything done. I'll let you know if I have any success at that.

10. Randy

Thanks Pat. I was half kidding, such a great idea. Every stake I've tried ends up getting bent. I'll find someone around here who welds. Weight bags would also work well.

Randy

11. jfocallag

jfocallag Junior Ranger Donating Member

12. pbaker2225

Those look great. Aluminum too so light. My big nails are pretty heavy as I carry quite a few. A little pricy but love the idea of a cord if it is sturdy enough to pull them out with. If you have to pay someone to weld washers on the big nails plus buy the nails and washers it will probably cost quite a bit for them too. I guess you could buy the nails and try putting a cord around them.

13. Randy

Found these tent stakes on EBay, hand forged in a blacksmith shop! He will make custom sizes but 8 inches is perfect. Goodbye bent tent stakes! :)

Hand Forged Tent Stakes

Randy