Car Wash?

Discussion in 'Tips & Tricks' started by Chuckwagon, Nov 23, 2014.

1. Chuckwagon

Chuckwagon Junior Ranger

Is it okay to run the trailer through a car wash to remove salt and dirt?

2. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

Hmmm... I've often wondered about that too.. but somewhere, I got the feeling the TD wasn't high enough plus, now thinking you'd probably have to take the Propane tank off for fear of the hose breaking.....

That would be of course, subject to getting the car wash guy to let it in... I'm not sure they would do that... unless you knew him/her... and during a real quiet time to try it out...

I always thought it could be done.. just never enough guts to follow through with it...

I just use the self wash ones.

3. Mark_inMA

Mark_inMA Novice

Re: Car Wash? NO Aluminum Cleaner setting

I use the manual/wand kind like Frank said. Just the regular-soap and rinse settings

AVOID any "aluminum (or chrome) cleaner" settings. Somewhere in the forum there is a
    horror story from Cary or Craig about trying to even out the blotchy mess :cry: that someone made.
    I sorta recall they even had to use scotch brite or steelwool :eek: which they always warn against.

4. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

Yah, I dunno, I use all the options, well not the tire/engine cleaner except for the tires.
    But the pre-rinse, foam brush, HP soap wand, HP rinse and finally the wax...

Worked great here, I'm guessing other washers use different soaps, best would be to find one that you'd use and try it carefully...

I wouldn't use the Chrome Cleaners etc on the TD, but on the tires and maybe on the front hitch, just to get grease off.

While I have a Blotchy part on the back of the hatch, it was due to putting the cover on when wet. It's now covered with my Decal, the big one, but when I have to sell it, I'll have it "Detailed" buffed out...

fun.

5. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

AAAGGGGHHHH!!!!
    (Holding head with hands while running around the room screaming.) :cry: :cry: :cry:

Now that I have your attention...Mark is correct...NO ALUMINIUM CLEANER SETTING OF ANY KIND AT THE CAR WASH!!!! None, zip, nada, nix, never, no way, no how!

It is much too painful of a sight to behold...just thinking about it makes my knees weak and I have to sit down. (Deep breath...)

Ahhh! That's better! Carry on!

:cool:

6. Pick

Pick Novice

Sure glad I read that post Betsey. I was on my way to the car wash soon. Now I'm a little leary to use one. Who knows what chemicals were used last and remains in the hoses.

7. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

It's really only the aluminum cleaner that is a problem. And you can run the water/soap setting for a bit to rinse out the line.

We have used the car wash to clean off a teardrop, but we've only used the sprayer (water & soap). We wouldn't use the brush, as most of them tend to be made of the hard plastic bristles which 1) Scratch the aluminum; and 2) Hide grit and small pebbles, which also scratch the aluminum.

:cool:

8. scoen

scoen Novice

Does anyone use the 'under-body' spray (or use the wand) to clean the road salt & grime off the bottom of their trailer? Is there anything that can be damaged or shouldn't get that wet?

9. Larry Running

Larry Running Junior Ranger Donating Member

Now owning that trailer I will say the detailers did a GREAT job.

10. hiadventurer

hiadventurer Junior Ranger

Camper.jpg
    I.would not reccommend car wash. On RAGBRIA this year my father thought he was doing us a favor and sprayed ours off half way through the week. There was apparently a strong cleanser in line that dripped on top and took off the finish on the top of trailer ( next to air conditioner). Took a lot of work to blend the top with Walbinizer and then coated with marine wax. The patina has since returned...but no more car washes only hand washing. The under.carriage spray can also be very intense in some washes., my concern with the battery tender and scaring of the wood under carriage probably not a.good.idea...R