Carolina soon-to-be empty nesters want Teardrop!

Discussion in 'Meet & Greet' started by Theresa, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Theresa

Theresa Novice

Hi, all! We’re new here and are very interested in buying a teardrop trailer. I would greatly appreciate y’all’s opinions. Everything I know about the Camp Inn teardrops is garnered from research, and I fully understand that real life experience trumps reading!

We’ve been avid tent campers for years, and now that our kids are almost out the door we’re looking to move up to a small camper. I think we’d be very happy with the teardrop. It won’t cost every cent in our bank account to buy, and it’ll meet our needs well. I’m a planner, and my husband just happily goes along. He’ll love the teardrop, but he isn’t interested in obsessing over whether to get this or that detail.

Thanks for any help you can provide us! Please post comments on anything I’ve said and let me know where my inexperience is making me unrealistic. We are complete beginners to this subject!

First things first: We’re looking at buying the 550 body style. The larger 560 is awfully tempting – that sofa and larger cabin area would be very nice on rainy or cold days – but the practical part of me says that we would stay home on rainy days (we are fair weather campers), and since our kids are almost out of the house the 550 is space enough for the two of us. My only reason for going with the larger model would be in anticipation of grandchildren, but grandchildren old enough to go on outings with grandparents are at least 15 years in our future, and I can’t see letting that sway our choices today.

But my biggest reason for going with the 550 is the tow vehicle. Here I’m a bit out of my element and would appreciate comments: After years of driving big vans, I bought a Honda Civic three years ago, and I adore it. I love my little car and don’t want anything larger. I could go up one size to something like an Accord or a Camry, but no more than that -- I don’t want to drive something big every single day just so I can tow a teardrop occasionally. My husband drives a Tacoma pick-up, and he too is happy with that size vehicle. I really foresee us both sticking to this type/size car for the rest of our lives. So, those of you with experience: Are we realistic with the vehicles we have?

Still on the subject of the two vehicle, is it a big deal to have a hitch added to a vehicle? Are we talking maybe $200-300?

Which 550 do we want? I absolutely must have two doors and the windows on the front – those are non-negotiables. The biggest difference between the models seems to be that the two more expensive ones have the front storage area. I think we want this storage, but the practical side of me keeps saying, “But you’ll have a whole car trunk and back seat area. How much do you need to store?” How much can store in this extra space? I’m thinking that the lower area would be the most valuable: space for a tarp, water buckets, etc. Do you have it? What do you store there?

Next, heat and air . . . being a Southerner, I’m pretty sure we are going to pass on the heat. Our typical winter low is around 40 degrees, and we’re likely to stay home ‘til it’s 60 degrees or so. We’ve had our share of snow and ice over the last three weeks, but that’s very unusual. I like the idea of bringing along a little space heater. With good blankets and two people’s body heat, I can’t imagine we’d need more.

I’m less certain about the air conditioning. I read somewhere that it’s really not a need because you’re not in the trailer ‘til after the sun goes down, and then the fan’s enough. But, as I said, I live in the South, and most of our trips will be long weekends -- for us, that means the Carolinas, upper Florida, Tennessee, Virginia. We’d definitely want to camp at the beach. So I’m thinking we need it. But I’m also a bit afraid of it. Is it going to be noisy? Drippy? I know I’m going to end up getting it, but please make me feel better about that choice!

Now, that Fantastic Fan thing. Why do I need it? What’s fantastic about it? If I go with the air conditioning, why do I need the fan? I’m a bit afraid that it’ll be a potential weak spot in the roof that’ll leak as the trailer ages. Yet they call it “fantastic”, so it must do something good?

Next topic: Electricity. Oh, am I out of my element here. I think I understand correctly that “shore power” is going to be our best friend. When we arrive at a campground, we’ll pull out an extension cord and plug into the campsite’s power pedestal (a term that’s new to me) . . . and this’ll make the electrical outlet in the kitchen and the teardrop cabin work just like the ones I have at home. Right? If so, shore power is indeed our best friend!

How often is electricity NOT available at state/national campgrounds? We have a couple years more camping with our kids, so I suppose I should start paying attention to this when we tent camp.

I’m less clear on the DC power /battery. I am certain that we are not going to Boondoggle. Our comfort level is camping at a nice campground with water available, a fire ring and picnic table for our use, and a hot shower a short walk away. So why do I need batteries and generators? Can I forego these items? I’m thinking that it would cut out cost and weight. Advice, please!

Water also confounds me. I am not sure whether I want the sink in our teardrop. The sink looks piddly-small, and I think I’d rather just keep using my washbasin for dishes. I don’t think it’d be a whole lot more work than monitoring water levels and emptying out dirty water. Right now we keep a bucket of water by our fire, which is for safety and quick hand rinsing, and we keep good drinking water in a water basin. But I’d appreciate discussion on the topic!

If we didn’t have the sink, would we have a third storage bin across the back of the kitchen?

Speaking of the kitchen . . . I’ve never been a fan of propane camp stoves. We have a nice one, and it’s covered in cobwebs. What I THINK I’d like in my teardrop: An electric frying pan and an electric hot pot. This’d allow us to get up and make a big breakfast (which we enjoy) without building a fire. The electric frying pan seems like much less work than the propane stove. In college I had those two items – an electric frying pan and an electric hot pot -- and I fed myself for four years with just those items. No, no, I’m lying -- I had a toaster oven too. I could cook an amazing array of things using just those appliances.

We tend to eat out for either lunch or dinner when we’re camping, and then we have sandwiches and snackies for the other meal. When we do cook over the fire, we like to do it right. We already have a lovely collection of dutch ovens, pie irons, and more. Actually, I have all of my grandmother’s grandmother’s cast iron cookware (and it’s every bit as good as when she bought it, probably pre-1900), and I especially like the little round pot that my grandmother says she called “her spider”.

If indeed we were to forego the propane stove, how tall is the stove storage area? Could a small electric frying pan slide into it? I say small because we’re only two people – no need for a big, family-sized pan. Or, if I end up skipping the sink, could I have two pull-out drawers instead of that slide-y area?

One more thing about the kitchen: I particularly enjoyed looking over this site’s threads about customization. I started a computer file of ideas, which now contains “lifted” pictures of that warming rack made from an old grill, the homemade knife block, and more! I am very into both cute and efficient!

Last topic – for now! Entertainment. I’m thinking we’ll skip the TV in the cabin. We have iPads, which can download movies, and I wouldn’t be surprised if they don’t stream TV in future years. But I do admire some of the other teardrop brands (Big Woody is the other one I like, and I’ve seen some pictures of nice homemade set-ups) that feature a TV spot in the kitchen area. I think it’d be nice to be able to sit out by the campfire in our comfortable chairs and watch TV. Any ideas on including a TV in the kitchen area? With its small screen, I don’t see the iPad doing the job out there. I’m thinking it’d need to be secured in some way; otherwise, it could bounce around and be damaged in transit. The only idea I have is IF we skip the sink and have two drawers instead of the stove-storage spot; in that eventuality, the space between the two “sides” could hold a good-sized TV – but then the cooler’d have to go into the car trunk during transport. Your ideas?

Finally, thanks for any help you can provide a new teardrop camper! We’re not looking to buy for probably three more years – but once our kids are out of the house, I’m sure we’ll be making a purchase. That gives me time to determine exactly what we want!

2. Bazza2154

Bazza2154 Novice

Wow where do you start good questions the answers to this will become a comprehensive FAQ.

3. Jean W

Jean W Junior Ranger Donating Member

Theresa,

Welcome to the Camp Inn forum. Please all Camp Inn and talk with Kary. He will gladly answer all of your questions and hopefully hookyou up with a local Camp Inn owner. Seeing a Camp Inn is a must.

air conditioning- since you live South, you need air conditioning! CI uses a small 5,000 BTU window type AC. Noise level similiar to a home window AC. You should not experience any inside dripping. Camp Inns AC sit in a plastic tray and have a drain that exits the bottom of the teardrop. Option has to be orded upfront because of construction differences.

Fantastic Fan -even more important then AC. Great for white noise. Useful during seasons when AC not needed. Fan direction can blow air inside or ourside teardrop. Very useful to cooling tear, circulating air during winter when using electric heat, and letting in rain drops if you forget to close during rainfall.

heat-optional since a small electric heater is very useable. If you enjoy boondocking, then strongly consider installed furnace, which will operate off batery.

DC power /battery- again a no brainer, an absolute must if you desire lights, fan, air conditioning, and furnace, using IPOD, electric frypan and coffee pot, and electric mattress pads or blankets. Basically your camper will be extremely, extremely difficult to sell without any electrical power. Can't imagine Kary selling one that way either.

Availabe electric sites: varies at state parks in Minnesota. Electric sites always fill up fast at most parks. I can not speak about national parks. Camprgound listings state how many sites have electricity or no electricity.

Water: I would strongly recommend having the sink and 7 gallon freshwater and gray water holding tanks. The gray water is easy to drain, open plug, turn toggle, and drain into bucket or onto ground (if no one watching). Continue to utilize heating water at campfire.

Proprane stove-the Camp Inn stove is very nice. Use a lighter, does go puff like any gas stove. Stove is permanetly connected to the bulk propane tank. Again I recommend having the stove. I have seen a Camp In without the stove. The burner is slid into place under the tableware drawer, which is just above the sink. Depending upon the height of an electric frying pan, it may be stored in the same place.

Camp Inn is designed to place a cooler in the burner spot while traveling. I do not keep the cooler there, instead I store dutch oven and charcoal in a rubbermaid tub.

Don't let George know you have antique cast iron, I will take your "Spider". That is a valued piece.

My tear doesn't have an installed TV. I plan on using my laptop. Installing a TV in the kitchen area is not pratical in my book. Uses valuable storage space, not sure how the TV would respond to road bumps during travel, TV and galley hatch will limit placement. I would recommend a nice large laptop which is much more versitile.

Other brands: I have seen So-Cal, Little Guy, and various levels of homemade craftsmanship. Of the commercial brands available, Camp Inn is the top notch because of using marine and aviation parts.

Another web forum to join, follow, and ask questions is Teardrop and Tiny Travel Trailer forum, and TearJerkers. These two sites contain tons of useful information about teardrops.

Jean

4. Oysterpot

Oysterpot Moderator Staff Member

Too late Jean, I all ready read about the cast iron. I don't buy it if I don't intend to use it.

Now, I am sure a lot of opinions will arrive at this thread, but Theresa, the best thing to do even 3 years out is to communicate with Cary. I am sure he will be reading your post, but with all the questions you have, maybe a phone call to him might be the easier way to go. The folks at CI are extremely friendly, and will give you an answer to your questions.

5. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

Welcome, Theresa.

You've got a lot of great questions. First, I agree that the best place to start is to call Cary @ Camp-Inn and talk to him. He'll know the answer to most of your questions and will hook you up with an owner in your area.

Tow Vehicle:
    Your husband's Tacoma will pull any of Camp-Inn's teardrops. I'm not sure what you Civic would be rated for - Cary could probably help here. The difference between the 560 and 550 models in weight is not that significant.

550/560:
    As a 560 owner I always like to point out the advantages of the 560. We were also fair weather campers. However, after one year of owning our 560 we have over 3 weeks of winter/bad weather camping under our belts. The couch sure makes it easier for the Camp-Inn to be your home-away-from-home any day of the year. If you take care of your Camp-Inn it will most likely outlive you. :) How much use will you get out of it by then? In my opinion, it's certainly worth the $2,500 extra for the larger model. To be fair, I should point out that some people prefer the look of the 550 (more of the classic teardrop look), and it is probably 150 to 200 lbs lighter.

550 models:
    Absolutely get the two-door model, whatever you do. The front storage is very convenient, however, probably not big enough to put water buckets in. Most of the front storage is accessible from the inside and the extra place to put things (not on the bed) is very valuable. The lower third of the storage bin is for outside storage, and the doors are only about 6" tall. If you get the furnace, this will take up most of the exterior storage, leaving you with a 6" cubby on one side that fits wheel chocks, etc...

Furnace:
    If you are sure you won't do any cold weather camping you probably don't need the furnace. However, if there is a chance you will be touring the country, making that Alaska trip, or riding out some storms (great fun) over the next 30 years it might be worth it. Keep in mind that a ceramic heater can only be used when plugged in. In below average weather where power is not available (road trip or full campground) you would be cold.

A/C:
    You live in the South? You want AC. Keep in mind that this is the one and only thing on the Camp-Inn that absolutely requires shore power to work. Everything else can run on the battery when necessar. You won't have problems with leaks because it has a drain that is piped to the exterior.

Fantastic Fan:
    Everybody swears by this. It's a must have. First, it runs off the battery. If you are anywhere remotely warm, you would be sorry not to have it - especially in a confined space. It even has a thermostat so you can set it and it will turn itself on and off at night as necessary. Of course, if it's super hot, then you need the AC, but all other times this is the ticket. If you look at how the fan is built I don't think there is any chance of it leaking down the road. If anything ever were to cause a problem with leaking it would be the sunroof, and I doubt that would happen either.

Electricity:
    You need the battery. Without it you can't even turn on a light to get in bed unless you have shore power. Also, the water and heat need the battery to function as well. The small battey is only about 1/3 the size of a car battery. I doubt you would save much on cost or weight anyways, but you would lose SO much functionality.

Sink:
    My wife originally said she didn't want a sink because she would never use it. She is so glad she got it. It is convenient like you wouldn't believe and the new faucet has a super long rotating and swiveling neck that works very well. There's also the spray hose accessory too. And you've got running water anywhere: On the side of the road, at a rest stop, at a scenic mountain pass, etc...

Stove:
    The stove is just about exactly like a household gas stove. The portable camp stoves are a bit trippy because you are always fiddling with the mini propane bottles, and they aren't normally made very well. The Camp-Inn stove is WAY different. It is more like an industrial stovetop, and it is plumbed into the main propane tank, so there is no setup time. Also, it will boil a full pan of water in about 5 minutes - VERY fast. You will find that is is extremely convenient. I would not want to be dependent on electricity (electric frying pan) for a hot meal.

Last winter we watched the sun set over the snow-covered desert from the top of the mountain at the Carlsbad Caverns while we cooked grilled cheese sandwiches and drank hot tea. Afterwards, Lena washed the dishes and we were on our way. Without the stove, sink and battery you probably won't be doing things like that. Don't forget, half of the fun of teardropping is getting there, and being able to change your plan at any time because you can cook, eat, clean and sleep ANYWHERE along the way.

If you want TV outside, what about a pull down screen that mounts to the galley hatch, and a mini projector that plugs into your iPad. Who knows, maybe Craig/Cary even know how to do something like this? :)

Finally, if you aren't planning on buying for 3 years DO NOT go see a Camp-Inn in person because you will get bit by the teardrop bug and then you'll be ordering it next month. :)

Please keep the questions coming, and let us know what you decide.

6. KathyBob

KathyBob Junior Ranger

Thanks, Theresa, for asking all those wonderful questions. We, too, are seriously considering buying a teardrop - probably sooner than you - and the responses you've received (in addition to those who responded to ours) have been very helpful.

7. Theresa

Theresa Novice

Thanks, all for the help! As I said earlier, I am fully aware that real-life experience trumps research on this topic. Things I'm thinking now:

I'm convinced that the Fantastic Fan is a good idea. And I'm sure we'll go with air conditioning but skip the heat.

As for DC power, I was thinking about "plug in things" working with Shore Power -- but do I understand that without battery power the lights, air, and other "hard-wired things" wouldn't work at all? I was thinking that they'd all work with Shore Power. This is the kind of thing I'm trying to learn.

Evan, you said the SMALL BATTERY. Do I have a choice to go big or go small on the amount of DC power? Perhaps the right choice for us is to have a minimal amount of battery power, and we'll count on Shore power for the majority of our needs. Electricity is probably the thing about which I am least confident.

I still see the sink and stove as negative things -- space-suckers with minimal usefulness -- I don't see them as upgrades, especially the sink, which looks too small to be much good. I don't mean to insult something that most of you seem to love; either I have a different camping style, or I'm missing something.

I'm disappointed to hear that the front storage is mainly "inside storage" -- we always pack light and wash clothes every 2-3 days, so we don't need lots of inside storage. I'm thinking that we're going to need space for fire buckets, camp chairs, tarps, etc. -- and that type of thing you don't want to put in the cabin on your clean bed. Is it possible to forego the built-in storage on the front and carry a camp box on the tounge? What I'd really like: The attached box, but no inside access; instead, doors to open to the front to hold equipment.

I like the idea of a pull-down TV screen for the back. If positioned correctly, I suppose it could be permanantly attached to the kitchen hood?

And I'm going to bring up a couple NEW QUESTIONS:

1. How does the wood in the cabin and kitchen area hold up over time? I mean, the trailer isn't as element-proof as a house. Do you care for it in any special way? I'm thinking about how we waterproof our covered deck every two years.

2. Are the curtains in the cabin special in any way? Are they on rods, or are they velcroed in place? I'm not sure from the pictures. I am sure I'd want to ditch them ASAP and sew some in a color more attractive than brown. I do like cute.

A couple people suggested that I call the company and talk to them. I will . . . but I am not yet educated enough to know what I need to ask! I'm getting there.

And don't worry about me jumping the gun and being overly-anxious to place my order. Right now we still have two children at home, and it's not the time for us to make this move. It IS time for us to learn what we want so we're ready!

Thanks again, one and all, for your help! Please keep it coming!

8. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Novice

My old teardrop didn't have a stove or sink. After using the trailer for a few years I was sick of messing with portable stoves, and hauling water around. The camp inn kitchen is so perfect in everyway. Messing with the layout and features is like drawing glasses and a mustache on Mona Lisa!

9. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

If you didn't have a battery, you could still have lights by using Shore Power. It doesn't matter as far as AC is concerned - the only way that works is with AC. Lights and AC DO all work with Shore Power.
    As far as the front storage, it is not suited for large items. My guess is that your idea to skip the front storage and add your own box would suit your needs better. That's where talking with the folks @ CampInn will be helpful in your decision-making process. And it sounds like you're pretty certain about the sink & stove. I can only tell you that we also tent camped for a long time, and having a sink and built in gray water storage has been a great improvement to our camping experience. At first we still brought along our 'dishpan', but quickly left it home after realizing the sink, along with the sprayer hose, eliminated the need for it. We have ample storage space for everything else we need in the under-counter area and upper open shelf space. But if maximizing storage space is your goal, then eliminating the sink and stove is the way to go. Have you examined a 550 'in person' yet? That would go a long way in helping you see just what kind of room there is, and isn't. Good luck in your search for CampInn knowledge!

10. Jean W

Jean W Junior Ranger Donating Member

How does the wood in the cabin and kitchen area hold up over time?

Camp Inn uses top quality finishes, seems to be multiple coats to sidewalls, inside cupboards and galley. As with any wood surface, promptly clean liquid spills. The flat surfaces "weather well". The real issue is the cut ends, which allow moisture to enter faster then the flat surfaces. Thus Camp Inn has changed manufacturing practices due to past experiences with moisture problems. Best left to Cary to explain.

As for not enough education to talk with Cary. This is the best time to contact Cary. He is a great resource, will answer all questions professionally and over and over. Believe me, I have asked many "stupid" questions. The only stupid questions is one you do not ask.

Also, I strongly recommend you find numerous brands of teardrops to view so you can compare and contrast various setups.

The curtains can be left off any order. Personally I agree with you, I have had custom curtains made and will hang them with pencil type cafe curtain rods.

Jean

11. Steve & Ellen

Steve & Ellen Novice

Theresa,
    You sound like I did before we bought the 550 Classic with the lighting upgrade and the SUV height.
    What we got and why.
    AC...I don't suffer heat and humidity well. Yes, the sound does certainly dominate the area served. I sleep with ear plugs every night no matter where I sleep. I awaken easily. Not drippy.
    Roof fan... Great for ventilation, on or off. With a small heater, shore power needed, with it open there is great air movement. No leaking yet.
    Front storage...You just never know what you might need to put in there. Our tow vehicle is sometimes full. Also looks cool.
    Tow Vehicle..We use a Subaru Forrester. OK but could stand to be upsized.
    Onboard Water is OK. I use it in fair weather camping. If we are in the same spot for more than a few days, we need to dump and fill a few times. We, and others as well, use the dining table to place and rinse the dishes. The pressure water system is pretty handy there, with the spray hose. The sink although small, is big enough.
    Propane... We like ours very much. It is very convenient.
    TV....We use our regularly. I also hook up the dish antennae. My wife is forced to recline periodicaly during the day. This helps her. Also when the grandchildren are with us, they stack like cord wood and watch movies,at rest time, LOL, or if the weather is bad. I have often wanted to have a small flat screen to use in the dinning area. There is an outlet on the trailer that allows a splitter and have a smaller TV in the back.
    Good to have you on board.
    Keep us all updated on your thoughts.
    Steve

12. Evan

Theresa,

Battery:
    Yes, you do have a choice between the small battery (standard option) and the large battery (useful for people who need to run a breathing machine all night, etc...) You should just stick with the small one you will be fine. I think a battery is required for the lights to operate even when plugged in to shore power. If I'm correct, the lights run off of the battery, and the shore power keeps the battery topped off. Without the battery I doubt that anything in the 12v system would work at all.

Storage:
    I don't think Cary would recommend removing the storage box and putting a tongue mounted bin in it's place because it would seriously mess with the trailer's tongue weight. It is very important to keep this balanced - especially when towing with a smaller vehicle. Our main storage area is the bed. We throw down a small 5'x6' tarp and then you can put anything you want on the bed (including camp chairs, pop-up tent, portable bathroom, bikes, etc...) As far as the interior access to the front storage bin, it may be more useful than one would first think. When camping in a tent, there is generally extra floor space available to put your shoes, clothes and other junk. In a teardrop the only floor space is your bed, so you need little cubbies to put your shoes and junk in. That's what the front storage is for - not your large camping gear. The large gear will need to either go in the tow vehicle, on the bed, or perhaps in a hitch mounted storage bin on the back of the teardrop.

Sink:
    One thing to keep in mind is that teardrop camping is a whole different animal than tent camping. Even the most experience tenters will probably find their methods and routines changing once they start teardropping - for the better, of course. :)
    Originally my wife said the exact same thing - that the sink was WAY too small and she already had her whole scene down with the dishpans. Now she swears by the sink - especially the sprayer hose. She still uses the dishpans for a whole mess of dishes (with the sprayer hose), but the sink has proven invaluable for all kinds of quick and convenient things. As far as wasted space, the faucet will swivel out of the way to be flat against the wall, and then we put a cutting board across the sink to reclaim the counter space.

Perhaps you should ask Cary, how many people start out thinking they don't want the sink - and how many of them end up getting it and are glad later. I think it is the default position of veteran tent campers. :)

WOOD:
    I haven't heard of anything special that needs to be done to the wood in the cabin or galley besides cleaning up spills. The woodwork is one of the most impressive elements of the Camp-Inn - you will be impressed when you see one.

CURTAINS:
    I don't think there is anything super special about them. They aren't velcroed - they slide back and forth on little clips. Perhaps if you send them your fabric they could have the curtains done up for you that way? Generally, Cary and Co. will go out of the way to accommodate their customers special requests.

13. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

Theresa,

You are getting lots of good info here. I'm only going to add a bit on the sink & curtains.

Over the past 10 years, I've never used our sink to do dishes. But I would also tell you that for us, the sink is essential. It makes lots of tasks so much easier.

We used to carry 2 nested Rubbermaid dishpans that we stored on the shelf above the silverware drawer. I've done away with those (wanted something more compact) & now use 2 collapsible dishpans that, when collapsed & nested, are only about 4" high. They are 11.5" x 13" & each holds up to 10 qts of water. I can easily do all of my dishes, except for my large cooking kettle and my DO's (which I don't wash by conventional means anyway). They are a bit pricey - anywhere from $14.00-$20.00 each. I waited & got them on sale for $10 each. I feel they are well worth the $$, as they fit my needs perfectly.

The sink is also useful for getting a quick cup of water for cooking, filling pots for cooking (by using the sprayer head), rinsing small items, wetting a cloth or paper towel, brushing teeth, etc.

We replaced our curtains last year. It is possible to make your own. Craig, being the talented guy he is, made new ones with material that matches our quilt. The old ones were from the days prior to having them lined & were a much lighter weight material than what is used now & quite frankly, I got tired of looking at them. :)

Hope this helps.

:cool:

14. Theresa

Theresa Novice

Thanks again, all, for the advice. I'm learning and shaping my opinions, but I'm not done with questions yet!

Steve & Ellen, You say you have the 550 Classic with upgraded lighting -- I'm thinking that's just our choice.

However, you said SUV height, and that sent me scurrying to read on the official manufacturer's website . . . I'm getting the idea that the SUV height has two purposes: 1) to suit the tow vehicle and 2) to raise the cabinets for tall people. (For the record, I'm short, just barely under five foot; my husband is 5'10".) Does this lock us into one style of two vehicle forever?

Evan -- I think I understand power much better now and the standard battery is absolutely the right choice for us.

Two offshoots on the subject of power . . . aside from the stove, what does the propane tank power?

And I see that the Camp Inn Shore Power uses a standard 15-volt cord . . . but when I look at campsite hookup info online, most often it seems to say 30-volt. Does this mean you just use a converter?

As for removing the front storage box -- I wasn't clear. Let me re-word: I would never order it and remove it myself! I am sure that would ruin the trailer. I was pondering whether to go with the Base or Special model, which don't include the front storage box. We already have a metal drop-front camping box, which we love, and I was wondering whether -- since the front storage box isn't all that good for "outside storage stuff" -- it'd be possible to carry that box on the tounge instead of the built-in front storage.

However, that was just a passing thought and I've already given it up. After reading what you said about literally no place except the bed to put little things, I'm thinking that it'd be better to go with the front storage of the Classic. I don't think we'd need that much inside storage space for long-weekend trips, but we would probably want it for longer trips (which we will take after we retire, and that date is not necessarily close, but we can see it from where we're standing).

Thinking of whether to get this or that option, what choices CANNOT BE ADDED LATER? Those are the things that we "have to get right", and they're more important.

Thanks for the idea of providing material for the curtains! It'd be wasteful to have them make the plain brown, when I am sure I'd throw them away within weeks of taking possession.

And now my new thoughts -- you knew they were coming!

The two tables -- or maybe I should say the table and the cooler table -- are different sizes, right? The cooler stand is smaller? Are they interchangeable? Could we have an extra attachment on the left side of the trailer so that the cooler could go on the left instead of the right, if it suited our purposes at some point?

I've been looking for a book on teardrops online, but the only book I can find seems to be more of a history-of-trailers rather than a camper's guide. Can anyone recommend anything? I'm going to the library tomorrow, and I'm going to see if I can garner any info from regular RV books.

Last question: When we're ready to make this actual purchase, is buying a Camp Inn like buying a car . . . that is, is negotiation expected? Or is it like buying a dozen eggs? This is the price, and if you don't like it, go to another grocery store.

Thanks for your help, all!

15. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

Theresa,

You are asking lots of good questions and getting lots of good info. Keep the questions coming!

Here's my input on a couple of your comments/questions.

Just to clarify...if you don't want the curtains but want the tracks & slides we use, you could order the tracks and slides but you will need to make your own curtains. We have no way of custom making the curtains, as our curtains are not made in-house. We do have customers who choose to get the hardware from us and sew their own curtains. I apologize if my previous comments were misleading. I sometimes forget that not everyone here on the forum realizes that Craig, my husband, is one of the owners of Camp-Inn.

There is not a "discount" for buying directly from us; also there is no dealer mark up. The price is not artificially inflated to provide room for negotiation. This also makes it fair for all customers, as no one gets a "better deal" just because they are better at negotiating.

:cool:

16. Evan

Good questions, Theresa.

First, the SUV height: If you are short you may not appreciate the extra height. At 5'-10" your husband will probably not hit his head on the standard height model so this may be the ticket for you. When you do see a Camp-Inn pay attention to which model you are looking at. This will give you a better idea of which height is right for you. If you go with the shorter (standard) height and upgrade to a taller vehicle you should still be fine, because you can just get a drop down hitch - that's a standard $20-$30 item.

Front storage:
    I think you will find the front storage to be useful.

Options that can't be added later (or at least would be very hard).
    AC
    560 (Couch / Bunk Beds)
    Furnace
    SUV Option
    TV
    Fantastic Fan
    Sunroof

Things like tables, cooler, fridge, side tents can be added at any time.

However, if you weren't getting the tables up front you should make sure to have the brackets premounted to the trailer.
    The cooler table is roughly half the size of the kitchen table.
    The cooler table can be placed where the kitchen table goes.
    Excellent idea to have a third location for the cooler table. However, it might not be very convenient when used with the kitchen table because you would have to walk all the way around it. If you use the fridge the DC outlet is located on the right side of the trailer and probably would reach across.

Other than the online forums I am not aware of a published guide to teardropping other than the 'book of misadventures' that we all read a chapter from now and then. I suggest keep reading the forums, ask questions, and when you are ready start doing it. Before you know it you'll have 100 nights under your belt and be giving lessons to the rest of us. :)

17. Steve & Ellen

Steve & Ellen Novice

SUV height...I got it for taking the TD on unimproved roads. My wife is 5'2". I am 5'10". We both find it OK.
    Tables...Cary will want to mount and install the dinning table. The inserts in the galley for storage are located unit by unit.
    If you get the model with utility hook-ups, a table on the left side will cover the outlets for the utilities.
    You might want to consider the receiver hitch. Of all the extras, I find it to be the most practical. It carries some of the stuff for camping with out increasing the tongue weight or loading the tow vehicle.
    I have appreciated the no-haggle pricing. It keeps all our purchases on a level playing field.
    Since our purchase, I have added myself the screen doors, windscreens at the galley, rear bumper, receiver hitch. The bumper was the most tedious.
    Good luck,
    Steve

18. Theresa

Theresa Novice

More good answers!

Hardware without curtains sounds like a great solution. I'm a good seamstress and would prefer to make something to match my quilt, but I can't make hardware. Thanks for the clarification.

Negotiations when buying -- thanks. You know, for a specialized item like this, it's sometimes hard to know the expectations.

With our (lack of) height, I'm sure that the standard height is right for us, but it's good to know that if we ever go back to driving an SUV again, we could add that adaptor to match up to the tow vehicle.

Table on the left side of the trailer would cover the utility area -- duh! I should've figured this one out myself.

Thanks, all!

19. Cary Winch

Cary Winch Camp-Inn Staff

Theresa,

Let me mention a couple of things that have been bought up that need correcting.

Tables. Both tables are standard and not optional on 2011 models.

Battery. There is only one size battery now, the larger one. There is now a option to upgrade the larger style battery to a high end AGM like our smaller one used to be.

Fantastic fan. This is standard on all units and not optional on 2011 models.

Front storage box. If you get a model without our integral storage box you will not be able to put your own box on in front. Our frame is not rated for a load at that point. Our storage box is part of the trailer's body. A box mounted to the frame there will mostly break the frame since it is not designed for such a modification.

Table on left side. We get asked this one alot. Even on a trailer without the utility door we cannot mount the table on the left side because of the direction the mounts slide in.

Shore power. The trailer is 15amp. You are correct, some campgrounds do not have an outlet less than 30amp. We sell a small adapter to allow you to plug your 15amp cord into a 30amp outlet for $3.10. The trailer has a circuit breaker to protect it at 15amp then.

Propane. Other than the stove it is also used for the furnace option. It also provides LP to an external gas connection in the utility panel for using your own portable gas appliances. Things like your own portable stove or a barbecue.

Things that cannot be added later. It is easier to answer this by what can be added later. Anything on our accessory list can be added later at any time. There are a few items on the option list than can be added later if the trailer is brought here to the factory. These things are the Alcan cover, the bumper, the receiver hitch and roof rack. We have done TVs too, you don't want to be here for that though ;). Pretty much everything else cannot be added later. The two options with the most regret for not getting up front are the air conditioning and furnace. Neither can be added later and I get asked all the time to add them. We have built several customers new trailers because they wanted to add these things that they did not get up front. That is the only solution to not getting everything you need up front, order a new one. I recommend avoiding that problem as best you can.

Gotta get you hooked up with another customer so we get you seeing one in person. I have someone in Statesville who would be perfect. Let me know.

Cary

20. Hello Theresa,

You have many of the questions we had when we bought. This is now starting our third year and we love it. I will tell you what I did and why. By the way, we are in NC so many of your concerns were our concerns.

I bought the 560, primarily for the dog. He travels with us most of the time and the extra room is good for that purpose. We have never put up the bunk, so the sofa is always up.

We bought the air conditioner and not the heater. We have a little electric portable heater if we need it. Typically, we get a camp site with water and electric, so we just plug the heater in the provided outlet in the 560 and it more than suits our needs. We also bought a small inverter if we are any place without electricity, but we have never had to convert the DC (battery) to AC.

The air conditioner of the 560 does the job for us, well.

We bought the "moon roof". The fan on the air conditioner works well with the "moon roof" or door windows open.

My wife loves the propane stove that Camp-Inn provides. It is a two burner and very heavy duty. We bought a grill that sits on top of the burners for eggs, pancakes, etc. When the stove is stored away, the grill sits on top of the burners in the storage space for the stove. We have had no problems with it.

We did not buy the TV, but had Camp-Inn provide the cable hook up, should we ever decide to add a TV. We ended up adding an under the counter kitchen TV/DVD/AM-FM radio. We typically do not watch TV, but have watched movies and listened to CD's. etc.

We love our 560. If you are close to us, please let me know if you would like to see it. It is in Macon, NC