Change in REI return policy

Discussion in 'Other Gear & Equipment' started by mcjimjam, Jun 4, 2013.

1. mcjimjam

mcjimjam Junior Ranger Donating Member

Just received this email from REI about a change in their return policy. It is now limited to one year from date of purchase. Oh well, I guess all good things must come to an end!

Here's the email:

Since 1938, getting you outfitted with the right gear to enjoy your
    outdoor adventures has been our number one goal. We have earned
    a well-deserved reputation for our friendly expertise, and our 100%
    guarantee means that we stand behind everything we sell.
    REI has one of the best return policies in retail, and we remain committed
    to your satisfaction with everything you buy at REI. We also have a
    small, but growing, number of customers who stretch our policy beyond
    its intended purpose. To ensure that we can continue to offer our 100%
    Satisfaction Guarantee, we're updating our policy: You have one year
    from purchase to return or exchange any item you're not satisfied with,
    except items purchased from REI-OUTLET, which must be returned
    within 30 days of purchase. If you want to learn more, please click here.
    These updates enable us to maintain our robust policy and, as always,
    stand behind all purchases made at REI and REI-OUTLET.
    We are committed to getting you into the very best gear and apparel for
    your outdoor adventures. This means offering you great service and
    standing behind the products we sell. That was the case in 1938, and it
    remains true today. I thank you for your support and patronage of REI
    and wish you a season of unforgettable outdoor experiences.
    Tim Spangler
    Senior Vice President, Retail

2. AlCat

AlCat Junior Ranger Donating Member

Still a great return policy

-Al

3. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Just got the same email. I'm really kind of surprised that it lasted thing long. I actually tried to buy parts for a broken trekking pole of theirs a couple years ago. They said, 'Go pick out a new pair.' I saw my old pair of poles a month or so later at the next 'Garage Sale', so they must have figured they'd make something on those returned/exchanged items.

4. mcjimjam

mcjimjam Junior Ranger Donating Member

Speaking of the REI garage sale....I love this video of the great deal this couple got on a tent. Still not sure I would want to stand in line for hours and then fight the hoardes of people that attend those sales though!

http://youtu.be/B1-UHTWAEQg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  5. AlCat

REI likely had to change the policy because it was such a big story that came out of that book ("Wild"?)

(where the woman walks the Pacific Coast Trail, discovers her boots don't fit, so she returns them, worn and battered, to REI and they drop ship a brand new pair, in the right size, to her, along the trail. That probably opened 10 million eyes to their somewhat private return policy.

-Al

6. AlCat

"REI, which actually stands for Recreational Equipment Inc., made the change after noticing a sharp uptick in returns of merchandise more than a year old, said Senior Vice President of Retail Tim Spangler."

"'We’ve always taken back products more than a year old, but to see that growing disproportionately caused us to ask some questions,' Spangler said in an interview last week at REI’s Tacoma store."

http://seattletimes.com/html/businesstechnology/2021116265_reireturnsxml.html

Already, about 90 percent of returns are made within a year, and REI will continue to take back defective products regardless of their age, he said.

“For 90 percent of our customers, this isn’t going to impact them. And for the other 10 percent, a good chunk are still going to be protected by this,” he said.

“If you buy that tent, and the seam blows out after two or three years, and you feel that it’s defective, I want you to bring it back and we’re going to take care of you,” he said. “We’re always going to stand behind our products not to be defective.”

Even so, REI likely will remain at the liberal end of the spectrum for return policies. Seattle-based Nord­strom, also known for easy returns, has no deadline at its full-scale stores but a 30-day limit at its discount Rack chain. Target and Walmart give their customers 90 days to return most items.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016