Chili Mac

Discussion in 'Main Dishes' started by mewton, Sep 7, 2011.

1. mewton

mewton Novice

I know, I know this is far from gourmet but in my effort to find something quick and easy that my boys would eat while camping I reached into my past and pulled out this Army favorite. You could start from scratch but for simplicity and speed it's hard to beat the following.
    One box of mac and cheese
    two tablespoons butter
    one can of Hormel no beans chili (best brand for this that I've found so far)
    Boil noodles and drain, add butter and stir in nasty powered cheese. Add chili and stir on stove until hot.

Nothing fancy but it fills little bellies quick using a minimum of cookware. Because these are all dry/pantry ingredients (except for the butter which can be substituted with oil) I try to keep this in storage for emergencies or when we just didn't have time to make it to a store that day.

2. Ladymc

Ladymc Novice

Sounds good! I'm all about comfort food - but in Texas we use Wolf Brand Chili! NO beans of course!

3. Oysterpot

Oysterpot Moderator Staff Member

That sounds pretty good. My goal now is to start cooking in the smaller pots, and that would fit right in.

4. Hilditch

Hilditch Novice

That sounds terrible. That is also why you won't find Hilditch at a pot luck. The real thing is worth the time.

Hilditch

5. starlight

starlight Novice

Mish mash stuff like this was the greatest when I was a kid (and also in sea scouts). Throwing odd things together can make great combinations. I have the feeling your little folks are going to have fond memories of this special dish when their older. :) Sounds like a fun one to try--thanks for sharing!
    --Stelena

6. mewton

mewton Novice

Chili Mac was an army staple when I was in the service, I don't know if it still is but anyone who was in the service in the 80's sure ate a lot of it. As far as making it from scratch while camping, I like my kids too much to spend that much time cooking while camping and it's absurd to make a bechamel for a proper cheese sauce while camping anyway. I guess you would just have to know something about cooking to realize that though.

7. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

Heheh.. LOL with "All" (wink) your posts.. agree...
    in the 60's Service gourmet meal was Canned Spanish Rice, canned Hot dogs with beer...
    However... I had to do the Souffle Grand Marnier on a campside stove..

[​IMG][/URL]

GOTO for pics

With the saddened or Gladden outcome.. (apologies, web format cut part of the pic, just notice that, sigh)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  8. Oysterpot

Great story, with pictures. Thanks You put up a pretty fancy fair for "camping" LOL

9. Hilditch

Hilditch Novice

GREAT COOKING Frank! Damn oven.

I also have this oven and it is great. As a warning to the new owners, using this oven to cook biscuits or pizza in the galley will scorch the wood. Keep it at 350o or below in the galley and use a remote burner for anything higher.

Hilditch

10. Oysterpot

From what I can see from the pictures, I believe that dish, or a facsimile of it can be done in a cast iron camp oven.

Dutch Babies

[​IMG]

11. fpoole

Interesting George, good idea.. but would be afraid of burning the bottom... but certainly looks good... hmmmm... interesting..

12. Oysterpot

Frank,
    With the proper placement of the coals, burning isn't much of an issue. The DO cooks that are in our local camping group are doing a Dutch Babie DOG. Each supplies their own recipe, but all are making pretty much the same thing. The rest of the campers in the group get to eat the results.

13. fpoole

Heheh.. get to eat the results, can't beat that... fun...
    I suspect even 2nd, 3rd, 4th... would be good...