Colorado/Utah: beautiful parks, wonderful memories

Discussion in 'Long Haul' started by Ken & Peggy, Aug 29, 2015.

1. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

We took 2 days to drive to Denver from Chicago to attend the wedding of one of our oldest daughters friends - a young lady from one of the 3 families we camped with when the kids were growing up.
    From Denver we were off to Allenspark, a town a few miles south of Rocky Mtn. Nat'l. Park to spend a few days with our oldest daughter, son-in-law, and grandson. Hiked in the park, explored a few towns nearby, and just enjoyed their company.
    Then it was south to Great Sand Dune NP in southern Colorado, and a visit to Zapata Falls nearby. The first of many wonderful surprises along the way. Neither Peg or I are big on sand dunes, mainly we hate climbing them. But the park was stunning, and the short visit to the falls was something that shouldn't be passed up if you get to the area.
    From there it was west to Durango, arriving too late to get a spot near Mesa Verde NP. We stayed in a private campground that the Silverton Durango Railway runs right through, so we had that going for us. The visit to Mesa Verde was incredible - we did a couple of ranger-led walks into the cliff dwellings, which I had done back in 1967 with my family. Amazing stuff.
    Into Utah, where we tried to camp in Canyonlands NP. No sites available, we began the drive out as the rains began. We came to a river of water running across the road that had not been there 2 hours earlier. The truck has 4 wheel drive, I'll take it nice and slow... We got about 200 yards into the water when the front of the truck started to slowly slide downstream. I stopped, put it into reverse, and prayed I could back up. I'm writing this, so you know it worked. We were able to get onto clear, wet pavement and park in a close-by pull-out. As there is only one road in and out of the park, we decided to sleep there. Well, the decision was kind of made for us. A couple of sisters traveling together also decided to live, so they parked with us for the night. We shared our beer and cheese sticks for dinner, and gave them a couple of fleeces and a blanket and they slept in their car. Got up in the morning, made some eggs and coffee for everyone, and enjoyed the sunrise.
    That day we saw a bit of Moab, and drove into Arches NP, where I hiked up to Delicate Arch, alone, as Peg told me I was crazy to start in the hottest part of the day. It was worth the effort.
    From Arches we were off to Capitol Reef NP, via Goblin Valley State Park, where we drove through the biggest hail storm we'd ever seen. I was sure the truck and trailer would be pock-marked like a golf ball, but we escaped without a dent. Got to the campground, were able to get set up, and eat during a pause in the storms, and hunker down in the camper and enjoy a fantastic lightning show that we watched approach for at least fifty miles.
    Next to Capitol Reef, which was like an oasis - peach, apple, pear orchards everywhere. The campground was filled with cottonwoods. Did some great hikes over the next few days.
    Bryce Canyon NP was next, with the unique hoodoos and beautiful colors. On the edge of a plateau, these incredible eroding landforms are like nothing else. More great hikes.
    The ride from Bryce to Zion NP on Rts. 12 & 89 is not to miss. And Zion is amazing in it's own way - with towering canyon walls all around you. We did some incredible hikes here as well. Angel's Landing, 2.5 miles each way, with a 1500+ foot elevation gain, enough to almost kill two flatlanders like us. The last half mile is primarily hanging on to chains, making your way over 3 to 6 foot wide sections with 1,000 foot drops on either side. We made it about half way up the chains before Peg decided she'd had enough. I found it incredible to get as far as we did, as she is deathly afraid of heights.
    We also hiked The Narrows, the section of the Virgin River where much of the time is spent hiking in the river. One of the most memorable hikes ever!
    Finally, to Salt Lake City to visit my brother for a couple days. He lives 10 minutes from the American Fork Canyon, a gorgeous area with camping and fly fishing opportunities everywhere along the way.
    Then, the long ride home on Interstate 80. Wonderful memories, with talk of returning already being heard.

Ken & Peggy
    550 Ultra SUV #266
    2013 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4WD 4.0 l engine
    Either 5,122 or 5,211 total miles (I'm old)
    23 nights, 24 days

2. GinaNBob

GinaNBob Novice

Ken
    Great story and great pictures.

3. Ken & Peggy

Thanks guys. If you haven't been that way, I'd suggest you try to make it at some point. It is so incredibly unique and just plain gorgeous country. Pictures don't come close to showing it as it looks.

4. Ken & Peggy

Thanks Jenn. Ah, the Grandone... we've got him today. Almost 2 yrs old! So much fun. Hope you're doing well.

5. pbaker2225

pbaker2225 Junior Ranger Donating Member

Wow, what a beautiful trip. It really makes me want to get out and hike. I'm still trying to heal though. I love the pictures.

6. Ken & Peggy

Thanks Pat. Hope you're able to get back out on the trails soon.