Compact Charcoal grill

Discussion in 'Other Gear & Equipment' started by dustinp, Mar 8, 2015.

1. dustinp

dustinp Ranger Donating Member

This past fall I decided I wanted to get something for teardrop grilling. I've followed the Cobb, and Volcano grill posts both on, and off this forum with interest. In doing so, I came across another grill that I hadn't seen mentioned here called the EcoQue. Here is a link to the post where I first heard of it: http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/367819 about the 10th post from the top by Jeff C. It was called the Pyromid grill in the post, and when I searched that name I found this post: http://www.backwoodshome.com/blogs/ClaireWolfe/2012/06/05/pyromid-is-back/ One of the things that attracted me to it was how compact it was when collapsed, and what reviews I was able to find on it were quite positive, so I decided to give it a try. We got ours just before the holidays, and haven't had a chance to try it yet, but the warm weather will be upon us soon, and we are anxious to try it out. Here are a few pic I took today when I was putting it into the Camp-Inn

[​IMG]
    Compliments the Camp-Inn

[​IMG]
    Compact size fits nicely in storage bin.

[​IMG]
    Included zippered storage bag keeps unit parts together in compact collapsed state.

[​IMG]
    Quick assembly with ash grate in bottom.

[​IMG]
    Fuel / briquette grate above ash grate.

[​IMG]
    Grill grate on top.

[​IMG]
    Cover for baking / smoking

[​IMG]
    Top of cover open completely or half to add or check food.

[​IMG]
    Optional griddle for eggs etc.

2. Jay & Valerie

Jay & Valerie Ranger Donating Member

Wow, that is compact. Packs away quite nicely.

We picked up the Volcano and it works pretty good. As a grill it is OK but the food is pretty far from the head source. It still cooks it fine but I would prefer to have the coals closer to the grill top. I may try using the diffuser plate for the coals and see how that works.

What I do like about the volcano is that our dutch oven fits in it quite nicely and provides pretty even heat all the way around.

3. Pick

Pick Novice

Great looking grill. Is that the 12" or 15" model?

4. dustinp

We got the 12". Thought it would pack the best, and sounded like all we would need for tear-dropping.

5. Pick

Pick Novice

Thanks looks like it fits the side table just right. Next question is what is the blue thing under the table ? looks like a trash bin? And your speakers look awesome btw.

6. dustinp

Thanks!
    The speakers I added after removing my analog TV, and adding a laptop shelf in its place for movie viewing. The computer speakers proved inadequate, so after seeing Evans spectacular system, I decided to build my own. It started with a pair for the inside, but we thought it would be nice to have some music outside occasionally too.
    You're correct. It is a trash bin. Wish it were my idea, but I copied it from another CI owners set up that I saw at CICO 2013. It's a pretty easy addition, and helps keep trash off the ground, and a little harder for critters to get at.

7. Randy

Randy Ranger Donating Member

Would love details on the trash bin setup. What a great idea.

Thanks,

Randy

8. dustinp

Hi Randy,

I don't have my CI at home, but can take a couple pics to post either tomorrow if I get out to where I store it, or this weekend if I don't make it there tomorrow. Basically it's just two pieces of wood for slide rails a little thicker than the lip on your trash can, placed a slightly further apart than the outside width of trash cans width at the top, so it can slide easily between the two pieces. Then attach another thin piece of wood like a paint stir stick on top of the first two pieces slightly further apart than the inside width of the can. That is what the lip of the can will rest on as it slides in and out. The other option is to slot the original piece of wood with either a router, or dado blade on a table saw to achieve the same profile as above, which would require a little thicker piece of wood for the rail, but would be a little nicer. The two rails need to each be divided into two pieces with enough distance between the two pieces so that the table leg can still lay flat against the bottom of the table top when in storage mode. Another piece of wood can be placed across the end as a stop. Hope that gives you somewhat of a picture in your minds eye, and I'll try to get a real pic for you too.

9. Randy

Randy Ranger Donating Member

It does! Thanks a lot, awesome idea! I want one!

Randy