Copper Harbor, Michigan

Discussion in 'Adventures & Excursions' started by Jean W, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Jean W

Jean W Junior Ranger Donating Member

Greetings,

Today I pull into Fort Williams state Park in Copper Harbor, Michigan. Finish setting up and a guy comes up, hey, a teardrop just like yours was in the same site the other day.

We exchange a few pleasant comments about teardrops, then I explain off to supper tonight in town. Well, I drive the few blocks of the town, turn onto one of the side streets to explore cafe options, and am blinded by the setting sun shining off the galley hatch of a Camp Inn.

Wow, unbelievable, a Michigan 560 sitting in the parking lot for excursions to Isle Royal. Placed a ziplock protected note on the windshield letting the ownwers know I am in the state park until Saturday.

Keeping my fingers crossed we can meet face to face.

My first meeting another CI in the "wild".

Jean

2. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

Awesome! Keep us posted on who you bumped into. That is pretty neat!

3. I LOVE hearing these stories of instant camaraderie with other CI owners. I once owned a Jeep Wrangler, and we would wave to each other. But we certainly didn't leave notes on windshields, go out of our way to meet the owners. What a bond you all have with each other!

4. Jim and Sue L.

Jim and Sue L. Junior Ranger

Got a feeling there'll be a lot of sightings in the wild and bumping into in the coming weeks leading up to CICO. Yeah, let us know who it is dallying about Isle Royal.

Camp On,

Sue

5. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Very cool Jean. We stayed in Fort Wilkins SP in the fall of 2010 - a great campground. We're thinking about getting back some time to be able to backpack Isle Royale before the end of September, when the ferry's stop running.
    Have a great trip.

6. nice, did you ever meet up with the CI owner?

We visited the park and Fort summer of 2011 but didn't camp there. Looked like a nice park.

We tried to connect with fellow CI owners of a Raindrop last week camped in Savanna, Illinois at the Palisades but no luck. Our daughter saw it there on a tuesday hiking excursion and we went out Wednesday night to meet the folks but no one was around. Chatted with some other folks camping though.

7. Jean W

The couple are still on Isle Royal, tear still in parking lot.

Todays adventure was a 5 mile drive on forest roads to visit Keweenaw Rocket Range.

The Keweenaw Rocket Range was a NASA-operated base for launching sounding rockets between 1962 and 1971.

http://www.gt.org/keweenaw-rocket-base/index.html

Subaru Outback did find on roads once I found the correct road. First road ended up being a Jeep road. Had to back up for about a quarter mile to a turn around spot.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  8. Jean W

Friday evening update: While I was talking with a couple who are camping with a motorcycle and pullbehind camper, I was shocked to see the 560 roll on by and take the site next to me.

WOW, I actually get to meet the missing owners. Can't remember his name, hers is Cisi. They are from Ada, Michingan. They too are very surprised to see another Camp Inn out in the wild.

We exchanged a few short conversations about Isle Royal, misc. topics. A few other campers showed up wondering what about the differences between a 550 and 560.

Finally I was able to grill the last steak and the other couple off to town for supper.

On a side note, Copper Harbor is a one gas station town. Sells regular (no lead) gas for $4.41 and premium gas for 4.81 a gallon. Cash sales only. No credit cards. For some the premium gas price may seem reasonable, for me it is ouch! The cheapest gas around is around $3.60 a gallon about 50 miles away. Seeing as I had less then a quarter tank remaining, thought the $20 investment is a cheap compared to flagging someone down to get gas. THere is no cell reception in Copper Harbor, unless I climb up to the top of the tallest peak.

The state park campground has free Wifi.

Jean

9. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Jean, I remember having to go up to the top of Brockway Mountain so we could call the kids. That's a great area. How long will you be staying?

10. rockytopsc

rockytopsc Novice

Their's may have been the one we saw last Saturday when were leaving the UP and crossing the bridge. Can't remember the type of SUV this one had but it was a dark tow vehicle.