Creamed Wild Rice Soup

Discussion in 'Main Dishes' started by Oysterpot, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Oysterpot

Oysterpot Moderator Staff Member

I made this one 11/12/11 at a DOG I attended. Had a nice 3 days camping and cooking. I used 1 large skinless chicken breast, cut up and browned in bacon drippins for the cooked chicken.

10 inch deep DO (5qt)
    6 Tblsp. butter, margarine or olive oil
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    1 diced carrot
    1 cup sliced mushrooms
    1/2 cup flour
    1/4 tsp pepper
    1/2 tsp salt
    3 cans chicken broth
    2 cups cooked wild rice
    1 chicken breast, cooked and diced
    1 cup half and half
    parsley or chives for garnish

Melt butter in the Dutch oven; sauté the onion and carrot until they are tender. Add the mushrooms, sauté 2 minutes longer. Blend in the flour, then gradually stir in the broth. Cook, stirring constantly until the mixture comes to a boil, then boil for a couple of minutes. Stir in the cooked rice, the chicken, salt and pepper and simmer for about 5 minutes. Blend in the half and half, then simmer for another 10 minutes. Garnish with parsley or chives.

To cook the wild rice, wash in cold water using a strainer. Put two cups of wild rice in a pot with 5 to 6 cups of water. Cover and bring to a boil, then boil for 10 minutes. Reduce the heat to a simmer and simmer for another 50 minutes.

[​IMG]

2. KathyBob

KathyBob Junior Ranger

George, this looks wonderful. Will try at home this week. Thanks, Kathy

3. Oysterpot

It is good, Left overs thicken up to a stew consistancy, but are still very good.

4. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

Because the rice absorbs the liquid, you can add some water or milk before reheating. It will change the consistency back to soup without changing the flavor.

:cool:

5. KathyBob

KathyBob Junior Ranger

made it for dinner tonight. delish. of course, I added garlic which I do for almost everything! thanks, George

6. Oysterpot

Kathy,
    As most people who cook have learned, very few recipes are set in stone, and can't be "adjusted" to taste.

I did not have the chives to garnish with, and I think they would be a very good addition. Garlic would be good as well.

Glad you liked it.