Cross country travel guides

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by Mick'nSarah, Sep 7, 2010.

1. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

Hi all-

As we are starting to think about picking up our 560 next month, I have started collecting info and thinking about routes. I am curious if folks have favorite travel guides they use for cross country journeys or websites they like? Perhaps you have driven your trailer back from MN/WI and have suggestions for us getting back to the NW. With the weather change we are already seeing, I am thinking things are going to be cooler than originally thought (although we are webfooted and don't mind the rain so much). Also, any tips on places to take the younger set are also valued (we will be travelling with our 3 year old).

Evan, one other thought I had while checking out the campgrounds/parks section (especially after seeing how you have broken out the recipes), was, is there a way to break out reviews/questions by region (say NE, SE, NW, SW...or something along those lines)? I know we will be looking for great new places to explore soon, and will be happy to post info. Just an idea. To organize that for easier searches.

Thanks all!

Sarah

2. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

Sarah, we did the trip last November/December.
    http://snugglebugroadtrip.shutterfly.com/
    We went straight over in 3 days, and then took our time on the way back (via Texas and the SW). Perhaps you can get some ideas from our travels.

Splitting out the campground section is a GREAT idea, so I've implemented it. Check it out!

Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
  3. Mick'nSarah

I just kept it a bit general with my suggestion since there aren't a huge number if posts yet. I am sure that will change as folks experience new places.

Thanks for the link. I will have to check that out! Appreciate it!

4. Mick'nSarah

Thanks Evan, it looks great!

5. Jean W

Jean W Junior Ranger Donating Member

Vacations in Northern Minnesota can be fantastic in October. For many years our family enjoyed a long weekend the third week of October along the Hwy 61 North of Duluth. Granted, we have experienced all weather extremes: 80's, rain, snow, usually in 60's during the day. Fantastic time to travel.

I would suggest Black Hills, even Teddy Roosevelt National Park in North Dakota. Weather wise, traveling thru Nebraska/Kansas should be comfortable.

Fall vacations are one of my favorite times. In fact, I am trying to decide where to go for a week in October. So many choices. Minnesota state parks are a fantastic deal. After the 3rd week in October, water hookups, shower facilities may be limited.

Jean

6. bcannizzo

bcannizzo Novice

Mick n Sarah

I would check out the Ringling Bros Circus Museum in Baraboo, Ws and see what is going on there the time of your trip. It is slightly south of Nedecah. If you like the circus you will love it... we were there in the spring so have no idea of fall activities.
    Just drive safe and love your new tear!

7. Jean W

Mick n Sarah,

While in the area I strongly recommend visiting a true piece of Amarakana, the Forevertron.

Ask Cary, he will be amazed you have heard of the place. Connleys surplus is interesting if you enjoy those type of places. If you are geocachers, there is a geocache at the Forevetron.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forevertron

Jean

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
    Chuckwagon likes this.
  8. mewton

mewton Novice

Are you planning on going straight back home or making an extended trip? I'm planning on picking my raindrop up in April but I'll be making a detour to Alabama before driving it back to Spokane WA ;-) I'm in the same boat, I know plenty of places to go in the NW and there are plenty of places I know to go to between Nedecah and Spokane but I need to research my route better to know where to go in the south east. The only places to visit on my list so far are the Smokey Mountains NP and the Ozarks.

Greg

9. Jean W

One of the greatest finds in May is Mark Twain Lake Army Core of Engineers campgrounds. Nice sites, fantastic bath facilities, very reasonable prices. I highly recommend this place!

INDIAN CREEK (MO), MARK TWAIN LAKE, MO
    http://www.recreation.gov/campgrou...ex=CampingSpot&contractCode=NRSO&parkId=73218

There are other ACOE campgrounds in the area, I have not seen them, only this one.

Also, everyone should visit the headwaters of Mississippi River in Lake Itasca State Park, northern Minnesota. Very large state park with 2 or 3 campgrounds. Walking across the headwaters is enjoyable, cool, refreshing, and one of those "must do" bucket lists for everyone.

Jean

10. Ladymc

Ladymc Novice

If you're headed through the Ozarks there are lots of options. Northern Arkansas has the Bull Shoals area that is very well know for it's beauty. Central Arkansas (Hot Springs area where I used to live) has beautiful Lake Ouchita (pronounced Wa-She-taw)that was 20 mins. from our home and of course a lot of other amenities in Hot Springs, well known for the Bath Houses of the 1890's. For a simple camping experience (and cheap) you can stay in The Gorge, which is the park part of Hot Springs National Park (the whole city is a National Park but the only place to camp in the city is The Gorge, off Hwy. 70 N) It's very beautiful there with a mountain to hike (with trails) and a pretty stream.

11. If you are in the Smokies area check out the Tail of the Dragon highway in Tenn/NC - http://www.tailofthedragon.com/

Then of course there is the Jack Daniels Brewery in Tenn. It is in a dry county so they can only serve Lemonade but it is a neat place to see.

Also Land between the Lakes in Kentucky is awesome.
    and you could come back home through the Natchez Trace Trail. Starts in Mississippi and ends in Tennessee. We did this trail last January and it was like we were the only people on the trail most of the time. We felt like we were in our own little world. Loved it. Walked some trails that our (in general) ancestors could have walked on years ago.

12. Oysterpot

Oysterpot Moderator Staff Member

Speaking of the Smokies, a must visit is the drive and tour around Cades Cove. It is a very beautiful place to visit. Has a camp ground as well. I believe elect. only at site.
    2 thumbs up.

13. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

We did our 1st backpacking in the Tenn/NC area of the Smokies back in 2006. Walked part of the AT and visited the Cades Cove area. It's a beautiful part of the country.

14. mewton

mewton Novice

I just wanted to thank everyone for the suggestions, they are appreciated. Sometime between now and next spring I need to sit down with a long list of places we want to visit and make an itinerary and travel plan. Unfortunately there are always more places to visit than there is time.

Cheers,
    Greg

15. Mick'nSarah

Just to piggy-back, I appreciate all if the advice too. As we start getting a route finalized, I will update and see if folks have more ideas for me.

Cheers!

16. Mr Ed

Mr Ed Novice

17. Larry Running

Larry Running Junior Ranger Donating Member

Mick and Sarah,
    Peg and I before our first trip (60) nights requested through the internet state highway maps for all states we thought we might be going through. We then bought an Rand McNally atlas and downloaded the app AllStays. We also got the books "Americas most scenic byways" and "Off the beaten path". From the books we took notes on places we would like to visit and put post it notes in the atlas by each place in which we were interested.

We then took off without a route, just tried to stay off freeways and have fun.

AllStays (Camp and RV) is a great app for finding campgrounds. One thing to be aware of, when it gives mileage to a campground it is as the crow flys. Great if you are on a fairly straight road, quite another if you are in the mountains.

Hope this helps,
    Larry and Peg

18. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

I just learned of this "Trip Planner" online. Much like MS Street Maps, but I think a little better and less complicated.

It's kinda kewl and if you do a search for "Best RV Trip Planners" it will probabaly pop up along with the Good Sam one...

But, POIs listed..

RV Trip wizard you can specify what type of camping, BLM or KOAs, fuel costs and food if you're feeling "Anal" about it all...hheheh... fun..

All Stays is another highly rated one... as Larry noted above...

While I'm down in Quartzsite, AZ, till April, I am starting to "trip plan" before Summer BKTs.. heheh.. fun regardless of vehicle /home...

(can't post photo links as everyone, FB and google have changed their 'photo Address formats' that won't show up on these forums.. sad)

19. Jim and Sue L.

Jim and Sue L. Junior Ranger

Hey, Uncle Frank, enjoying the monster flea market in Quartzite?

Sue and Jim

20. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

Heheh, Yah..
    I describe it as "A Giant Flea Market with an Interstate (Hwy 10) running though it, all sitting in a sand, gravel parking lot with bushes..."...

and now it's starting to fill up...
    Pics Here