Curtains didn't come together in the front

Discussion in 'Custom Additions' started by pbaker2225, Oct 5, 2014.

1. pbaker2225

pbaker2225 Junior Ranger Donating Member

As I tried to pull my curtains together in the front windows for privacy I found that when I pulled them together in the middle they would pull away at the ends. I got magnets at Harbor Freight, slit the lining and put a magnet on each end of each curtain. If I close them the magnets in the middle cling together. If I open them the two magnets in each curtain cling together keeping them open.

2. KathyBob

KathyBob Junior Ranger

Pat, so clever! Thanks for the idea. Kathy

3. Jay & Valerie

Jay & Valerie Ranger Donating Member

Valerie does something similar in the purses she makes. The flap that folds over the top of the purse has magnets to keep it closed.

She is going to make new curtains for ours and was thinking about using magnets like that.

4. Pick

Pick Novice

Great idea Pat. I even have the magnets. I bought several in order to pin up aluminium foil behind the stove (to the bolts above the back splash). How did you seal up the cuts you made in the curtains?

5. mariusz

mariusz Junior Ranger

Sounds good I'd try the same

6. birder526

birder526 Novice

Simple, but brilliant! Love the resourcefulness of everyone on this forum! :grin:

7. pbaker2225

I just snipped some of the stitches in the lining that hold the hem up and I hate to admit it but didn't stitch them back after inserting the magnets. It just didn't seem necessary and they haven't fallen apart yet. lol

8. Pick

Pick Novice

Good to know Pat I'll do the same. Maybe add some sewers glue if there is such a thing.

9. purpledew

purpledew Newbie

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  10. pbaker2225

You don't really have to cut many threads to slip the magnet into the hem of the lining. My magnets are the ones from Harbor Freight that are about 1X2 inches. Very strong.

11. Larry Running

Larry Running Junior Ranger Donating Member

Just a thought on the foil behind the stove. Peg found that getting foil slightly wet the foil sticks until she wants to remove it.