WI City Park Dalrymple city park (Bayfield)

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by pedalpaddlehike, Sep 26, 2015.

1. On our way to the Camp-out we decided to go to the far north and see the Apostle Islands. Without a plan, we drove into Bayfield and straight to the National Park office. We asked about camping on the water and claimed that view was higher on the priority list than facilities.

At the recommendation of the ranger, we headed straight for Dalrymple. It is a city run park on the north end of town. When we first arrived we were pleased but not impressed. It was a beautiful setting with electric sites, hydrants trickled throughout, and vault toilets. It wasn't until we reached the back of the park that were were blown away. Along the waterfront, there were several sites built up and leveled by retaining walls placed right on the water. They were all separated by 20 yards or more and lined with wood fences. Each electric, with a picnic table and fire ring. The beauty of it was the site we had chosen, we backed our 550 in and turned it by hand so with an open door we were overlooking a view of sailboats and ferries making there way to and from the islands. In the morning the Sea Kayakers were close enough to converse with. In the late evening we enjoyed the reflection of the moon and the lighthouse in the distance.
    For a short stay not needing showers or laundry I would rate it a 10/10.

Showers were available at the local community center for $4 per stall but only on certain days.

*I would not recommend taking a large camper.
    *The lower roads were a little rough. No problem for my old trailblazer but if your TV is a classic auto or low ground clearance be aware.

2. Re: Dalrymple city park, Bayfield Wi

Forgot to mention that there were a couple very large piles of free firewood.
    Camping was $20 per night. No host on site, money was placed in lock box.

http://www.cityofbayfield.com/dalrymple.html

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  3. dustinp

dustinp Ranger Donating Member

Re: Dalrymple city park, Bayfield Wi

Sounds like a nice find.
    We weren't able to make it to the CICO this year, but would like to give your Bayfield find a try sometime.
    Thanks for sharing it!