Dewey's winter camping images

Discussion in 'Adventures & Excursions' started by michaelo, Apr 18, 2014.

1. michaelo

michaelo Novice

Summer camping adventures are not far off now, here's a few pics of Dewey's first winter to tide you over.

[​IMG]
    Rio Grand at Big Bend NP, Texas

[​IMG]
    St. George Is. SP, Florida

[​IMG]
    Guadalupe Mountains NP, Texas

[​IMG]
    Seminole Canyon SP, Texas

[​IMG]
    Hueco Tanks SP, Texas

[​IMG]
    Carpinteria Beach SP, California

[​IMG]
    Parting shot, sundowner at "The Dew Drop Inn"

2. jfocallag

jfocallag Junior Ranger Donating Member

You're killin' me!

3. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Great pics! How did you like Big Bend?

4. michaelo

michaelo Novice

Thanks Joan, I think, haha. Ken. Big Bend is just fabulous, may have been the highlight of Dewey's maiden tour, I wrote about our visit in "The Dew Drop Inn Chronicles" in the Excursions and Adventures forum, page 11.

Michael

5. jfocallag

jfocallag Junior Ranger Donating Member

Michael, I am green with envy when I see your posts. Would have loved to spend my winter tooling through the warmer climes of the south.

6. 1Door

1Door Novice

Maybe we will see you on the road sometime...
    We are keeping 2NA CAN!

7. pbaker2225

pbaker2225 Junior Ranger Donating Member

I'm so glad you didn't give 2NA CAN up Susan. I have really been enjoying your posts and pictures. Keep it up and send some of the puppies and what you have done to accommodate them on your trips. I don't have a dog now but may in the future sometime. I'm too selfish right now to want to spend the extra time and effort it takes for a dog.

8. michaelo

michaelo Novice

Yeah, great news! Did not even want to think about not having you on the forum. I guess your side tent worked out. Yes here's hoping our paths cross in the future. Thanks again Joan, the south in the winter is the place to be, all those snow birds can't be wrong.

Michael

9. michaelo

michaelo Novice

How many days to your pick up date Pat, you must be beside yourself with excitement, we know we were with our's. See you next month when our paths cross at Mossyrock.

Michael

10. pbaker2225

I'm picking up my trailer on May 2nd. I'll spend the weekend at my brothers place in Montello. He is coming back with us. I'm taking one of my cot tents for him to sleep in on the way. I sure hope I have room to haul everything. I'm not taking a bike on this trip as I figure I'll have enough to worry about but might have to take the bike rack to put a box on to carry the overflow from my car. I don't know if he has ever camped in a tent or not. It is still pretty cold so will have to bring a heavy sleeping bag. I sometimes carry an extra ice chest between the bikes and the car bumper. I made a light bar from one of those light bars that stick onto pickups between the tailgate and the bumper. Very narrow strip of leds with brake and turn signals. I stuck it into one of those round tubes that are used over floresent bulbs to protect them. I need to think of a way to seal the end the wires come out of to keep water out. I haven't figured out how to attach it to the bike rack yet.
    My brother is leaving the Wednesday before Memorial so Hope to pack up fast and leave Thursday for Mossy Rock. I hope I have guts enough by then to brave Seattle traffic.

11. michaelo

michaelo Novice

After crossing the country Seattle will be nothin, try getting through the Emerald City mid day but avoid the lunchtime blitz. You're getting so close that the wait is over but the hurry up to get everything done in time is on, have fun with it, we're excited for you!

Michael

12. pbaker2225

Thanks for the encouraging words. In my limited travel through Seattle I have found that if I leave home between 7:30 and 8:00 I end up there at a pretty good time traffic wise. my exit is 210. Does that sound about right to you or do you think I should leave a little later.
    I'm looking forward to hearing you and Susan tell about your experiences.

13. michaelo

michaelo Novice

I'm thinking that'd be fine for Saturday or Sunday, folks aren't up and around yet but during the week I'd leave later, any time after 9 sounds good.

Michael

14. pbaker2225

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

15. JoeB-NW

JoeB-NW Novice

Looks like you had a good winter. Guadalope NP is nice, I got caught there in September a few years back, snow and the sun went down. It got cold FAST.

Pat we are exactly one week behind you to pick up our 560. We have to leave the house at 4 AM to avoid Seattle traffic. Fortunatley it will be a Saturday so we can sleep in, 6 AM it is.

Have a good trip and see you both at the PNW Gathering hopefully.

Joe B

16. PlasticsMan

PlasticsMan Novice

The Double-Wide adult beverage looks especially tasty...

17. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

Heheh, that Rio Grand pic... I kept looking for John Wayne...

I guess it would take a few "Double Wide" then I'd appear right???

fun..
    Seattle Traffic... going through. On way will be ok like mornings, leaving Seattle, but going into it, enh??? not so good.

I usually plan on going thru there between 10-2:30pm... some days you're lucky. going SB from Everett is rough