Do you camp to travel or travel to camp?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ladymc, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Ladymc

Ladymc Novice

Yeah the IPad's my next toy purchase for Bill. He's always swiping my laptop!

2. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

I do both, Camp to travel and Travel to camp, errr.. I guess, whatever that means...
    I do Dive campouts, but both are important.. probably more camping to dive... but in other areas, actually any other area, I pick something or somewhere interesting and plan to camp it...
    Toys?? heheheh Oh yeah.. but like to just sit around fires. Problem is weather most of the time. Wind, rain, Snow, cold..
    But fun...

I like to cook too and enjoy just going out to cook..
    Anyway, both and like to have a theme, like Margarita night, wine and Cheese soiree' Beef and Beer... etc... and plan accordingly..

3. I love my Kindle and store all my books, pic's, music on it. I have a Bluetooth speaker that is very nice also.

4. Old_Prospector

Old_Prospector Junior Ranger

I see this was an old post given a new life last month. The original question "travel to camp" or “camp to travel" is worthy of discussion.

I can say for certain that I “camp to travel.” I have several interests, but two primary ones are genealogy and geography. In 2014, before my 560 purchase, I drove back east searching in state historical archives, looking for names in cemeteries, checking records in churches, libraries, and local history societies. I loved the adventure, but found staying in motels a detraction from an otherwise exhilarating trip. I ordered my 560 upon return and took delivery in August 2015.

When I ordered the trailer, I lived in Kansas (30 years), but on a whim purchased a house in Phoenix, moving from Kansas right after picking my trailer up in Necedah. I retired at age 67 in August 2014. No more long winters, shoveling snow, raking leaves, and the unexpected benefit of walking without leaning. The wind seems to blow all the time in Kansas (if not from the north, then from the south), which causes walking with leaning into the wind.

I traveled extensively during the summer of 2016 and mixed genealogy with sightseeing some amazing geography. My travels took me through Arizona, Nevada, Oregon, Idaho, Wyoming, Nebraska, Iowa, Illinois, Wisconsin, Michigan, Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia, Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, New York, Indiana (slipped back into Canada, so no Ohio or Pennsylvania), Missouri, Kansas, Colorado, New Mexico, and home. My genealogy yielded lots of good information and the places I visited enhanced the traveling experience. All-in-all, I was 73 consecutive nights in the trailer and put 15,000 miles on the car and 12,000 on the trailer. Sometimes staying several days at an RV Park and taking day trips with the vehicle only, is the smart thing to do, especially when visiting places that have limited parking options. (i.e. Niagara Falls, Quebec City, downtown Toronto, Lake Placid, or any downtown library, church, or genealogy research center).

Phoenix is too hot during the summer, so driving to parts of the US and Canada at that time is perfect.

This year I'm on week 5, and have traveled through California (Sequoia, Kings Canyon, Yosemite, Redwoods), Oregon (Sisters Wilderness, Lincoln City to Astoria coast road, but Crater Lake was only partially open due to snow), Washington (Olympic Peninsula), British Columbia (Vancouver Island, Whistler, Kootenay Lake), Alberta (Jasper and Banff), and I'm now in the tippy top of Idaho at Bonner's Ferry. No planned genealogy this summer, but I love seeing new places and meeting people. Most people have tremendously interesting stories and experiences if you just listen.

Yes, there is no doubt that I “camp to travel.” Although I prefer nice RV Parks, it isn’t uncommon to camp off gird for a night, or in a Walmart parking lot, especially when distances between points of interest are far apart.

Happy travels to everyone, no matter what motivates you to hook up the trailer.

5. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

I enjoy both although I'm speaking only of my Little Guy. I've driven Route 66 twice and very seldom slept in the same spot for more than one night. It took me six weeks and I had to keep moving but often only 50 miles apart. I did very little camping and the trailer was mainly just a bed.

But I've also volunteered at Washington State Parks and been in the same spot for months on end. In this case I brought a canopy, microwave, office refrigerator, coffee machine, and had a picnic table to put everything on. IMG_0002.JPG IMG_0006.JPG