Door Screens

Discussion in 'Care & Maintenance' started by jfocallag, Mar 19, 2016.

1. jfocallag

jfocallag Junior Ranger Donating Member

I have the door screens. The zipper on the one that I used the most often stopped working. It would separate. I was considering ordering a new door screen but decided to google the font of all knowledge, the internet and sure enough there was a youtube video on how to fix it with a pair of pliers. I did as instructed and now the zipper is working. Below is a link to the youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIyUFG4Y7so

Below is another youtube that recommends applying the pressure on the sides so that you do not break the zipper pull:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-s0jJheo6w

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  2. birder526

birder526 Novice

Thanks for sharing the links. Ironically, Michael and I were working on my screen door today as the zipper splits all the time. We had no success today. I did talk to Cary about the continuing problems we've had with both doors and he gave us the contact information for the door maker. I think we'll have to send the door back for repair or replacement. Very frustrating.

3. Les Izmore

Les Izmore Junior Ranger

Cool Beans!

We were starting to wonder what to do about that. For now it has worked to zip it from the opposite zipper pull than we normally use.

Thanks! Great tip!

4. jfocallag

jfocallag Junior Ranger Donating Member

I was using the opposite zipper as well until it too gave up the ghost. Applied pressure to both with the pliers and they now work perfectly.

5. Larry Running

Larry Running Junior Ranger Donating Member

Wow, how easy. Thank you.

6. Les Izmore

Les Izmore Junior Ranger

We tried fixing one of our zipper slides, but used a little too much oomph and made it worse. We called Cary and he put us in touch with Kevin Wilson, who makes the door screens for them. He was kind enough to send me some extra zipper slides and we have replaced the one that I mangled.

It was a fairly straight forward repair. Since it was the upper slide that I mangled, I undid the sewing on two sides of the triangular vinyl reinforcement at that top, removing about 2/3rds of the thread on both of those sides. Once that is open you can slip the old slide off and put the new one on. Getting it on evenly takes a little bit of fiddling , in order to get both sides of the zipper started equally, but you can take it on and off until you finally get it right. After that it is simply a matter of sewing the reinforcement back shut.

So thanks Kevin! It is great to be able to once again zip the door up from either end!