Doug and Sally's first 100 nights

Discussion in '100 Nights' started by DougLeland, Jul 5, 2011.

1. DougLeland

DougLeland Newbie

7/6/11 marks the second anniversary of our visit to Necedah and introduction to our Teardrop (affectionately known to us as the Tin Toad). Since then we’ve spent 112 nights in the Toad and towed the Toad more than 19,000 miles, to include a 15,000 mile trip last summer -- border to border and coast to coast.

Summer of 2010 included driving from San Diego to the Canadian border so that I could ride an ElliptiGO bike (elliptical machine on wheels) back to San Diego. Without spending a night at home we immediately headed for the East coast and Sally’s high school reunion. We pulled the Toad through Steamboat Springs, past Mount Rushmore (just missed the Sturgis rally but made the obligatory stop at Wall Drug), stair-stepped our way through southern Minnesota, Iowa, Illinois, and Indiana into Kentucky, West Virginia, and then to McLean, Virginia for the reunion. From there to Vermont (family) and then Maine. Our return included another stop in Steamboat Springs, Yosemite (bear tried pushing us out of our site) and a couple stops along the coast of California.

For photos and movies of our bike trip and Toad trip down the West coast, go to http://web.me.com/dougleland/On_the_GO/Welcome.html. Many funny stories about giving “tours” of the Toad, some of which are described in the blog section at the website.

In three weeks we leave on a 10,000 mile trip, back to Vermont and Maine. The Tin Toad (and our Maine Coon cat Willie) should cross the 25,000 mile threshold about the time we cross the Mississippi for the second time.

If anyone is interested in a cross country ElliptiGo or bicycle ride in 2012 -- either as rider or part of a Teardrop support caravan, let me know.

A few pictures follow (having a hard time getting them to upload to the site). More pictures at the website above.