Dual Hitch w/ bike carrier in use

Discussion in 'Other Gear & Equipment' started by mcjimjam, Oct 31, 2014.

1. mcjimjam

mcjimjam Junior Ranger Donating Member

As requested, here is our set-up using the double trailer hitch, and the Yakima bike carrier.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Mark & Casandra

Mark & Casandra Junior Ranger

Which Yakima carrier do you have? I'd like to compare dimensions to our Kuat NV and see if a setup like this might work for us. We currently put our bike rack on the back of the trailer, but then have to remove it as soon as we arrive in camp so I can cook supper...which is not the most convenient. Do you have a closeup photo showing just the double hitch & bikes/rack better?

3. hiadventurer

hiadventurer Junior Ranger

I as well would be interested in the distance. I'm guess you both are equipped with a 2" hitch? I would be Interested in this type of setup howeverwe have an Outback with a 1.25" hitch and I haven't seen or been able to locate a dual hitch, I am guessing they don't make them for some safety reason...

4. mcjimjam

mcjimjam Junior Ranger Donating Member

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  5. Jay & Valerie

Jay & Valerie Ranger Donating Member

Interesting.

No clearance issues while you are driving? I know you had said to be careful not to jackknife but regular driving, turning, backing up ok?

That looks like it extends about as far as a tailgate might. I have been wondering if I would have enough room if I dropped my tailgate so I could fit a motorcycle in a dual cab short bed.

6. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Here's a REALLY close-up view of the set up. I had an extension added behind the dual hitch to give some additional clearance while turning to help avoid jack-kniving.

http://www.pbase.com/kgilbertsen/image/137643253.jpg

We don't use the extension as a rule, since jack-kniving is not really a big concern, as long as you stay aware while backing up.

BUT, if you don't use the extension, you have to first hook up your trailer to your tow vehicle, and THEN add the bike rack, followed by your bikes. The hitch release can't be lifted to free the trailer hitch from the ball - it hits the bottom of the bike rack...
    The model of Yakima bike carrier we have is the Doubledown 2.

7. Jay & Valerie

Jay & Valerie Ranger Donating Member

Interesting...this might be just what I need.

I am thinking about selling my current truck and getting a smaller V6 Toyota. The access cabs are really small in back but the bed is long enough for my bike in back as it has an extra 12". However, they are hard to find as most are full crew cab models which loses a foot in the bed. Dropping the tailgate and using a bed extender gets the space back but rides right over the hitch. Extending gives more room and resolves clearance issues when turning. A longer trailer is also easier for me to back up (used to it since I have a boat).

8. rotus8

rotus8 Ranger Donating Member

Be a bit careful about using this much extension on a smaller vehicle. The extension multiplies the tongue weight (I am sure there is a formula but I don't know it off the top of my head) by a significant amount. It puts the weight further back so the leverage effectively makes more weight to the back wheels and reduces the weight on the front wheels.

9. Ken & Peggy

My tow vehicle is now the Toyota Tacoma 4 door with the 5 foot bed. I am not sure what the difference in tongue weight is, but can say the truck handles well with or without the extension. But I should figure out exactly what the difference in tongue weights are with both configurations to be sure...

10. rotus8

rotus8 Ranger Donating Member

I found this calculator that might help:
    http://www.visualsc.com/hitch_calc.htm
    It looks pretty comprehensive.

I also found references that give a rule of thumb that a hitch extension reduces hitch capacity by 50%; the rack is effectively an extension, so by cascading two extensions you would reduce capacity by 75%.

11. Ken & Peggy

Wow, that's a considerable reduction. I am still OK with my tow vehicle, but someone with a vehicle rated at 2500 pounds or less might want to avoid this setup using these guidelines.
    Thanks for the link.