Egg Casserole for 1

Discussion in 'Breakfasts' started by Oysterpot, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Oysterpot

Oysterpot Moderator Staff Member

This is a dish I threw together tonight. It is a simile of the Mountain Man Breakfast.

6" DO (1qt)
    2 eggs
    2 T of milk
    1 strip of bacon cut up into 1/2" pcs
    2 sausage patties broken apart
    1 can Hominy
    1/4tsp chopped garlic
    ground black pepper (to taste)
    1 slice onion 1/2" thick chopped
    1/2 C grated chedder cheese

Spray inside of DO, brown bacon and sausage, when meat is just about done, add garlic and onion. When meat is cooked, and onions are translucent, add can of drained hominy. stir until all mixed. Keep DO over coals, stirring occationaly. scramble eggs with milk in separate container. When ingrdients in DO are good and hot, add eggs. Cover Do with lid and add 6-7 coals on top. Let bake for about 20 minutes, or until eggs are firm. Top with cheese, remove from bottom heat and let top heat melt and lightly brown cheese. Remove from heat, let sit for about 8 minutes on a summer day, judge for yourself on cooler days.
    This will make 2 medium servings. It will feed 1 very hungry big eater, or 2 not so hungry med. to light eaters

All in all very good.

PS I am batchin it for a couple weeks, so I will get to play wih single serving dishes.

2. eileenpaine

eileenpaine Novice

Can't wait to hear about smaller sized recipes! Above sounds good but we would add some green chilis to it!
    Eileen

3. Oysterpot

Oysterpot Moderator Staff Member

That is the great thing about this recipe, it is a casserole, and adjustable as can be. I thought about putting in some peppers, but it really didn't spark me so I ommitted. The hominy could be replaced or supplemented with hash brown potatoes. The possobilities are endless.

I just know it is one of my favorite things for breakfast.