CA State Park El Capitan State Park recommendations?

Discussion in 'West' started by AlCat, Dec 8, 2011.

1. AlCat

AlCat Junior Ranger Donating Member

We are planning a trip to El Capitan state park (California) in May. Has anyone been there, and do you have a favorite campsite (for a TD)?

Going to drive from the San Francisco peninsula over to the coast, and then down the coast "highway" through Big Sur and down to the Santa Barbara coast. Can't wait.

2. GTXgreg

GTXgreg Newbie

Hi Al,
    The boys and I camped there a few years ago with the YMCA Indian Guides, so I don't know good TD spaces. It's a nice park with great views as its on the hill above the ocean. I like it a lot more than Refugio to the north where the campsites are more densely packed. The only advice I have is that the UP/SP coast mainline runs parallel to Hwy.1 on the east side of the park, so if you get a space closer to the ocean it's quieter. There will be a couple of freight trains going through at night.

Greg

3. eileenpaine

eileenpaine Novice

We have camped in that area the last 2 years. We found 2 campgrounds we had planned to return to, but the HWY1 had slid and was closed for months.
    in the southern area of Big Sur, Check out Kirk Creek (ON a cliff above the ocean with AMAZING views) -could be windy. It and Plasket Creek are both part of Los Padres National Forest. Plaskett Creek is south of Kirk Creek and on the inland side of HWY 1 -more sheltered in a forested/park setting -but does have beach access.
    Skip Limkiln State Park for camping -(if its even open). The trailer sites are a paved parking lot at the bottom of the park, but by the ocean. The tent only sites (where i know a TD would fit) are beautiful! Nice walks up to the old kilns.
    We also like San Simeon State Park - esp off season when not crowded. It is easy access to the Elephant seal site and Hearst Castle - even if you don't want to do the castle tour -we get coffee there and walk out across the parking lot to an aberration point and just watch the ocean and look for zebras!. Morro Bay SP is pretty, by a marina (with sea otters!), and close to Morro bay's harbor shops and restaurants. its not very private and lots of family and school groups use it. Once again -it has been good for off season camping.

Let me know about El Capitain. We made the HUGE mistake of going to Gaviota SP instead!!!! To say it was windy is a severe understatement!

Enjoy your trip!
    Eileen and Tim

4. AlCat

thanks for the thoughts

I think we are staying at Limekiln (1 night) and then Montana d'Oro and then El Cap

I've actually never been to Hearst Castle, so we may have to do that.

I heard a zebra or two got loose last year, and the neighboring property owner shot them. Seriously. I guess there must have been some bad blood, down there.

5. AlCat

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/01/12/hearst-zebras-killed-_n_808227.html

yep, three zebras shot by neighbors

January 2011

6. eileenpaine

eileenpaine Novice

Limekiln in May should be good. There will probably be very few people there. The trailer sites are all together, but on the water! before you get there -check out Kirk Creek!! I forgot about Montana del Oro. I have never camped there, but done lots of day hikes (husband's grandparents lived there for a few years) Let me know what you think about the places you camp in.
    Also -love how autocorrect changes OBSERVATION point into ABERRATION point . perhaps i need to do more proofreading!
    Eileen

7. AlCat

some of my inspirations are an aberration, so....

Will definitely check out Kirk Creek. I think I saw a Sunset article about it.

Also hoping to do a February trip. Likely closer to home. Maybe up in Napa.

8. AlCat

http://www.hearstcastle.org/explor...ks-announces-reopening-of-limekiln-state-park

Just FYI, Lime Kiln is open (since July 2010)

thanks for the heads-up, though

Al

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  9. Steve_B

Steve_B Newbie

I'm a new member of your friendly forum. Friends and I organized a teardrop gathering at Montana de Oro SP in 2007. One of the campers, Gage, has an album with good event pictures. SLO Gathering We all had a great time at Montana de Oro including our well fed raccoon visitors who foraged our gathering.

10. 1Door

1Door Novice

Thanks for joining us!
    Love the photos.

11. AlCat

Just stayed at Kirk Creek (south Big Sur) - no showers, no running water, but incredible views and great access to what southern Big Sur has to offer

There is some parking on Highway 1, just outside the park, so it's feasible for a tent camper friend to join you at your site and park outside of the park.

-Al

12. rotus8

rotus8 Ranger Donating Member

El Capitan is not our favorite Park, but is close to one of our son's house so we have stayed there a couple of times. Sites are very close together, freeway is close and loud.