Epic Journey

Discussion in 'Long Haul' started by Mattster, Oct 13, 2014.

1. Mattster

Mattster Newbie

So we'll be leaving at 0600 hours on Wednesday for a little trip to Indianapolis for Valerie's annual convention for the American Psychiatric Nurses Association. By way of the Boston area for my 39th high school reunion. With stops in between at Maine, NH, VT, NY, PA, WV, OH and MI. Then home by way of New Orleans. And some other western states. The return trip on I-10 will pick up Mississippi, giving us every single state east of the MS River. Plus a few others. If you're interested, we carry a DeLorme InReach Satellite Communicator that posts our position every ten minutes on a map athttps://share.delorme.com/MattTrask. Be sure to set the filter for "Currently Tracking" or it will try to show you all of our other trips as well. The track should run from 10/15/14 til 11/2/14.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  2. Jay & Valerie

Jay & Valerie Ranger Donating Member

Wow, big trip but sounds like a lot of fun. That is a lot of territory to cover in 2 weeks.

Capture lots of pictures along the way.

3. birder526

birder526 Novice

Come to Cape Cod! It is beautiful this time of year!!

4. Mattster

Mattster Newbie

Heh. Not likely to actually go over the Canal. I left Cape Cod to my Ex eleven years ago and try to stay as far away from her as possible. But you're right, it is the time of year for the Cape.

5. birder526

birder526 Novice

Ooops, sorry! Enjoy the rest of MA!!

6. pbaker2225

pbaker2225 Junior Ranger Donating Member

I hope your trip is going well. It sounds like a great time with lots to see. I don't see any western states in there though. lol If we go any further west we have to swim.

7. Mattster

Mattster Newbie

The "Vacation" part of the trip starts on Saturday. We've been in " Vessel Delivery Mode" up til today, having to get Valerie to Indianapolis for her Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner conference. But we're here and on time. If you look at the map link above, you'll see that we did ME/NH/VT/CT/NY/PA/WV/OH/MI/IN since Sunday morning. When we leave here on Saturday we'll be in "Tourist Mode", putting the anchor down no later than 1600 hours each day and using no alarm clocks. We'll linger anyplace that attracts our attention along the way. The itinerary is IL/MO/KS/AR/OK/TX/LA over maybe three days and then spend a couple of days in New Orleans. After that we'll do MS/AL/FL over three days to get home.

Is that enough western states?

BTW, if you look at our older tracks on the map you'll see that we picked off MN and IA on our voyage to pick up The G.E.M. in Necedah. Combine the states from that trip and this one and we've gotten every single eastern state and the first row west of the river.

8. pbaker2225

pbaker2225 Junior Ranger Donating Member

Wow you have been busy covering a lot of territory in a short time. I hope you will keep us posted on your favorite spots. I would love to come back that way and spend a lot of time seeing all those states.
    Since I live out here on the west coast and am only a few miles from the straights of Juan De Fuca all those states you have mentioned are eastern to me where I guess everything west of you is western. Funny about our different perspectives.
    Have fun, I'm waiting to hear more about your trip.

9. Jay & Valerie

What part of TX will you be roaming through? We are in Austin and there is a lot of cool stuff to do around here.

10. dhutchin

dhutchin Novice

A beautiful scenic drive down through TN and MS is the Natchez Trace.

11. Jay & Valerie

Yes, that is an amazing strip of highway. My wife and I did part of that back in 2007 in my Honda S2000. It was an incredible drive through some very diverse scenery...lakes, swamps, farmland, historical civil war battlefields.