Essential gear for pick up trip

Discussion in 'Other Gear & Equipment' started by SarahNell_and_Robert, May 8, 2013.

1. We're still loosely scheduled to make our trek from South Carolina to Wisconsin around the end June/early July to pick up our 550. When we do, we'll be in it for a week right out the gate—along with our two dogs—ending in the upstate of SC for a friend's wedding that following weekend before coming home.

Mostly because I hate guessing and would rather have our TD in front of us to figure things out, we've not bought the first thing. However, our trip is quickly approaching and there are things we'll obviously need in order to get through our first week—coffee maker (priorities, please), dishes, silverware, sheets storage bins, bungees...

I'm steady building a shopping list but wondered if those of you who've been on the road a bit can recall your pick up/first few nights and maybe those 5-10 things you totally wish you had but never thought of when it was all brand new.

We'll obviously be tailoring and adding more fun items as we travel in the months to come. So I'm more interested in those, "don't even go that first week without this..." kind of suggestion.

Thanks to anyone who can help lighten the load of preparing for our first trip!

2. Dave

Dave Novice

Guys,

Welcome aboard. If you really like good coffee my wife Jolley and I use a french press from Planetary Design. It is metal and insulated and keeps the coffee warm for a couple of hours. We've used it for the last 4 years and really like it. here is a link to their website:

http://www.planetarydesign.us/products.html?paction=

Also, don't forget a couple of small flashlights.

Have fun!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  3. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

We had fun hitting up every camping store between Wisconsin and home adding to our collection. Don't worry about what you don't have - remember, your new camper is portable. :)

Kevin S likes this.
  4. skissinger

skissinger Ranger Donating Member

If we're talking coffee snobbery (I admit I've turned into one), here's a couple of hand mills that might interest you, if you are addicted to freshly ground beans:

http://www.amazon.com/Porlex-JP-30-Stainless-Coffee-Grinder/dp/B0002JZCF2/ref=sr_1_15

http://www.amazon.com/Turkish-Coffee-World-Grinder-X-Large/dp/B001B1AGCO/ref=sr_1_4

Otherwise...it's all personal preference of course. Jenn's list is great; and if you've been a tent camper you already have the essentials you need.

And, if you forgot anything, I count either 5 or 6 Cabelas you can pass by on your way from Wisconsin to South Carolina, depending upon what route you take to get there. http://www.cabelas.com/stores/stores_home.jsp

:)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  5. Thanks Jenn—yes we've been tent camping for years and spend a lot of time outdoors so gadgets and knick knacks we are full of! Your list nails what I would expect. I guess it just helps to have some clarity thrown in the mix.

Dave—thank you! I was leaning towards some good reviews I saw on one from REI, but I will definitely give this one a look too.

And yes, Evan that was also in the back of my mind. Considering there should be some really cool stores along the way we don't necessarily have here, I'm hoping we plot out some points.

Thanks yall!

6. Jean W

Jean W Junior Ranger Donating Member

Favorite cooking herbs and spices.
    Salt and pepper
    Bug spray
    Cell phone chargers
    Door matt

Water hose to put water into holding tanks.
    Wheel chocks
    Where are the dogs going to sleep? Extra dog towel to wipe their dirty paws before jumping into teardrop.

Are you bringing some sort of galley shelter?

7. AlCat

AlCat Junior Ranger Donating Member

Additional things you may want to bring with you, rather than get on the road, or perhaps have them drop-shipped to CampInn so you don't have to carry them with you

- bungee cords to keep the "handle" of the drop-down wheel at the hitch secure, so it doesn't get banged around

- towel for the shower(s) you'll likely be taking some time on the drive home

- if you will be camping but not at a campground, you may want to bring a roll of toilet tissue

- locks to prevent TD theft (one for a wheel, and one for the tongue)

- hand santizer for when you don't have water but need clean hands

- knife and cutting board(s) (plastic/vinyl/skinny is good - we bought a set in multiple colors, as one color is for veggies, one for meats - important stuff when you are dealing with an environment that isn't as sanitary as your home kitchen, perhaps)

- single-use gloves for when you dump your grey water and have to handle your grey water hose (keep in mind that your grey water hose is FILTHY from the very first time you use it at a dump station - not because of what comes out of YOUR tank, but because of what is on the ground around ANY dump station - and your dump hose WILL touch the ground and become filthy. When you then coil up that hose and scratch your nose.....) Don't be the guy who infects the clean water spigot by handling your dump hose and then using the clean water source with dirty hands.

Wow, looking at my list makes me wonder if I have a cleanliness fetish....

-Al

8. AlCat

from another thread - the motor vehicle registration for the TD

-Al

9. Cary Winch

Cary Winch Camp-Inn Staff

Al,

Oh, no! No, this is something we strongly recommend doing after getting the trailer back home. Do not attempt going into the DMV before going through our registration tutorial during orientation. You would only need to pre-register if going on a extended trip on the way home from picking up that exceeds your state's grace period (20 or 30 days typically depending on the state).

Cary

10. pat walsh

pat walsh Junior Ranger

Per AlCat:
    "- bungee cords to keep the "handle" of the drop-down wheel at the hitch secure, so it doesn't get banged around"
    We did that the first year but Marty said that was not a good idea but I forget his reason - I do remember crossing it off my list.

11. skissinger

skissinger Ranger Donating Member

Why not to bungee that handle up, because its potentially possible that on a sharp left turn...that handle can punch a hole in your TV bumper. Ouch.

12. pat walsh

pat walsh Junior Ranger

Not sure that is what Marty said. Cary, Craig, Marty what is the real reason.

13. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

Craig told me it was so it could easily right itself in case it got caught on something. As I recall.

14. ghaynes

ghaynes Novice

If you bungee it horizontal and are backing or have a very tight left turn (trailer and car at 90 degrees or more to each other) the handle may, if the stars and your bumper align, punch a hole through your bumper.

Just let it hang loose...

15. AlCat

good point!

16. 1Door

1Door Novice

You need to go to Walgreens and buy a "female urinal!" The handle goes in front! You will need to "hide" it behind a tire so when you wake up at 3:30 in the morning, it'll be an easy reach. DO NOT squat in the area...chiggers...and don't be walking with a flash lite to the bathroom!!!
    Whatever you use regularly in your kitchen at home you will find useful in your new galley.
    Don't forget kleenex and wet wipes.
    Hope this helps.

17. Cary Winch

Cary Winch Camp-Inn Staff

Yes, by all means leave it hang. It is a natural instinct to bungee cord it back but trust me, not a good idea. I have seen handles ripped off the jacks hooking on truck bumpers and on most cars and SUVs it will punch a nice ugly hole in the bumper cover if bungee corded back when turning left. There is no harm in it hanging down. Leave the bungee cord hanging on the garage wall.

Cary

18. 1Door

1Door Novice

Alan here;

It seems the coffee issue has been addressed, however being an old time coffee drinker, and camper, I must add something. Irish Mist, why have coffee when you can have real COFFEE laced with whiskey. Speaking of whiskey, a good fifth makes everything and anything more acceptable! So enjoy and let the good times roll... but stay in your camp site. Why leave?

Of course I assume you know how to make good coffee; good whiskey, a dash of sugar, and of course a topping of whipped cream. It never fails, good days get better, and bad days are made good.

19. AlCat

we applied the bungee because the handle "knob" (black piece) got broken on a very early voyage.....

but a broken knob is a far smaller price to pay than a punctured bumper!!

Am glad I thought to comment on this thread, as I learned something!!

-Al

20. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

so that's that little "dimple" I see in my bumper... OK,understand it now.... I thought it was more of a wives tail... so "lessoned Learned... until a few "Irish Coffees" that is.. luv'em...