Expanding Water Hose

Discussion in 'Other Gear & Equipment' started by Les Izmore, May 22, 2017.

1. Les Izmore

Les Izmore Junior Ranger

Has anyone on the Forum tried using an expanding water hose to connect to campground water? The earlier models were pretty flimsy, so we never were interested in trying them out. But having a longer hose can sometimes make it a lot easier to fill our water tank. This one looks promising:
    Amazon.com : Premium Expanding Water Hose 25 Foot - Lightweight & Durable Expandable Garden Hose - Doesn't Twist & Kink - Brass End Fittings - Suitable For Home & Heavy Duty Commercial Use By Innav8 : Patio, Lawn & Garden

I would pull apart the quick-connect/pressure reducer that shipped with our camper, putting one on each end of the hose, so that pressure is reduced BEFORE reaching the hose (I wouldn't trust it without the pressure reducer first). It would certainly make life easier when trying to break camp in cooler temperatures, when the standard hose becomes more inflexible and hard to squeeze into the pass-through.

Thanks in advance to anyone that has a couple of cents to offer...

2. pat walsh

pat walsh Junior Ranger

We got a hose like this for our garden this spring. I like how lite it is and yet it seems durable. Not sure I would use it for drinking water.

3. Les Izmore

Les Izmore Junior Ranger

AlCat likes this.
  4. pat walsh

pat walsh Junior Ranger

That is the one we have and like it. Have not had kinks. We roll it and use bunge.

Les Izmore likes this.
  5. Les Izmore

Les Izmore Junior Ranger

We got the flat polyurethane hose yesterday. It does state that if the hose is intended to remain pressurized to be sure to put a pressure reducer on the supply end that is capable of limiting pressure to no more than 51 psi. I believe this is the pressure reducer that ships with our campers, and it limits pressure to 40-50 psi. Camp Inn assembles the reducer with a hose adapter and the quick connect in order to protect the internal plumbing from being exposed to excessive pressure. With this hose, you would need to disassemble those three adapters so that the pressure reducer is on the end of the hose that attaches to the water supply.

We also made a simple hose reel to store this hose, made from two scrap pieces of 1/8" plywood and two short pieces on 1x2. The one by twos are mounted parallel to one another, with sufficient space between them for the pressure reducer adapter to fit between. That assembly is centered between the two rectangular pieces of plywood. It isn't the most elegant solution, but with the heavy brass adapters on both ends of the hose, it does make it easier to coil up the hose.

6. Les Izmore

Les Izmore Junior Ranger

I thought I would share our experience over the pasts couple of months with the Clear Flow Water Hose. It is smaller and lighter than a standard hose, and much easier to roll up and stow in cooler weather. The one thing that we have noticed is that it no longer collapses as flat as when we first got it. As a result, it takes up a bit more storage space now than at first. But it still takes up far less space than a standard hose. We had thought of getting a second hose, so that we would have up to 50 feet of hose, if needed. But it is a fairly small number of campgrounds where this is desirable (mainly in large loops with only a few communal hydrants). And in those situations, we bought a dollar store bucket that enables us to fill the tank quickly enough with the help of a funnel.

So far this hose has been meeting our expectations.