Fires in Texas

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Ladymc, Sep 6, 2011.

1. Ladymc

Ladymc Novice

Fires in San Antonio to the south of us, Bastrop to the East of us, in north Texas and N.M. to the north and west of us. Best place to go camping is right here in our campground. All campers are gone now that Labor Day is over, the C.G. is empty and no one to start a fire...just a few work kampers left....but we're still sitting alert. There were 2 fires close by down the road yesterday but were put out quickly. If someone is stupid and throws a cigarette out of a car we've got trouble....Texas has received 7.8 inches of rain this year so far and usually have 30 inches. Please pray for rain!

2. Steve & Ellen

Steve & Ellen Novice

Will do, and be safe.
    Steve

3. Oysterpot

Oysterpot Moderator Staff Member

Hey Linda, there aren't any fires in Wisconsin. I am sure it will be nice and cool as well. CI CO!!!

4. Ladymc

Ladymc Novice

If only George, if only...

5. AnnaSteve

AnnaSteve Novice

Linda we will pray for rain in Texas we have plenty of rain in New York.Steve :)

6. pat walsh

pat walsh Junior Ranger

Linda and Bill, Stay safe. Texas has had enough fires Lord send the rains!

7. Jim and Sue L.

Jim and Sue L. Junior Ranger

Linda and Bill,

We've been watching the news on your fires. Bad news at that. Be very, very careful. A wind can spring up out of nowhere, whip those flames around and shoot them in a totally different direction in a heart beat. You guys are suffering the same thing we did just a few years ago when California nearly burnt to the ground. Please take care.

And if the fire department tells you to pack up and leave, PACK UP AND LEAVE! You can recover from anything..but you have to be alive to do it. Please, please be careful.

Sue and Jim

8. Ladymc

Ladymc Novice

Thanks for your concerns Sue/Jim! I appreciate it. Packing up would include grabbing Bill, the dog, the cat and my purse - the rest can be replaced! No fires close to us and we are very watchful. Thanks again!

9. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

...except the 560 - can't leave that... :)

10. Ladymc

Ladymc Novice

Oops! My bad Evan! You're right of course! Gotta take my bed!

11. starlight

starlight Novice

Right-O on that one. One of our motivations (beyond enjoying camping) for the Camp-Inn was to have a shelter for any future firestorms or earthquakes here in SD. Volunteering at shelters during the last firestorm made me think about that--especially when the school shelters were running out of space (folks were still pouring in from Camp Pendleton into the later hours of the night). Glad you and Bill safe right now, but it wouldn't hurt to have your rig stocked for at least 72 hours w/ food, water, and clothing. If you can, get extra sets of your medications so you don't run out. Folks here were in shelters for quite some time. Our prayers are with you and your region.
    --Stelena

12. Jim and Sue L.

Jim and Sue L. Junior Ranger

As Jim said, "It's a bed on wheels." Great for evacs. We are going to use Spamalot as a part of our earthquake survival kit.

Jim and Sue

13. Ladymc

Ladymc Novice

Absolutely! I've always considered it our "Bug Out Bag". That and the mini van with stow and go seats, we have lots of room to throw stuff in - IF we have the time. But I'm not worried, just cautious.

14. starlight

starlight Novice

Funny thing is that yesterday we were thinking it'd be good to have the raindrop already (with a generator for AC). With all of SoCal out of electricity and incommunicado (all phone lines down) in the heat it would have been a great time for a cook-out and to have ac for some of our older neighbours during the day while we could sleep in it at night. Power did come on close to midnight--it was the darkest (and quietest) I remember for a long time. The only lights on the block were camping lanterns or the very smart ice cream truck at 9:30. :)
    Stelena