Fires

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lee49, Nov 24, 2014.

1. Lee49

Lee49 Novice

i went camping for 3 days
    friday,sat,and sunday
    most trailers were gone sunday around noon
    as i walked around i found 4 fires
    that were left burning
    why cant people put there fire out b 4 they leave

2. Chuckwagon

Chuckwagon Junior Ranger

Thanks for the safety reminder. "We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo

3. Jay & Valerie

Jay & Valerie Ranger Donating Member

I found something similar a couple of weeks ago. I took a bunch of water over and put it out.

I can't believe people are that irresponsible.

4. Mark & Casandra

Mark & Casandra Junior Ranger

Wow...4 fires left burning...that might be a record! We have run into this a few times. If it's near our campsite, we put it out. If it's one we see while out sightseeing, hiking or biking the trails, we call and let the Park Rangers know. It is so hard to believe that people will vacate their campsite & leave a fire burning. Jay, you are being nicer than I found myself wanting to be by calling them "irresponsible".....I was thinking more like I can't believe people are that "stupid".

5. Lee49

Lee49 Novice

YOU CANT FIX STUPID ^ 5

6. Jim and Sue L.

Jim and Sue L. Junior Ranger

My favorites are the bonfire bozos who have flames leaping nine feet and sparking all over the place like the Fourth of July...in California...in a drought. Of course they leave the embers smoking, so we always have extra water on hand to clean up after them.

Sometimes it seems we are the only ones really listening to Smokey the Bear.

I love my Smokey.

Sue

7. Mark & Casandra

Mark & Casandra Junior Ranger

Last summer we were camped next to a couple in a fairly large travel trailer. They had been inside the trailer all day and we finally saw them come outside a little bit around supper time. The man was grilling something and also built a huge bonfire (using LOTS of lighter fluid). They went back inside to eat their dinner, then came back outside and emptied the rest of the bottle of lighter fluid to revive the bonfire even larger....so we thought they were finally going to spend some time outside & enjoy their campfire.....we were cooking outside & enjoying our campfire & just being outside during this whole process. The couple sat out by their fire for seriously about 15 minutes and then the lady went back inside and we heard the man stirring around in the dark. Next thing we know, the man walk up to the fire and we hear this gush of water & POOF.....no more bonfire! He had drug their huge ice chest over by the fire & dumped all the water & ice from it on the fire to put it out & then went inside the trailer and watched TV & never came back out that night. We still laugh about that couple & their bottle of lighter fluid bonfire they enjoyed outside for a whole 15 minutes.

8. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

I suppose the bright side is they out it put. I have been camping next to a site where the folks took off, with a full fire going, so they could go enjoy the ranger talk. When they had been gone a bit and I was ready to turn in, I went and put it out for them since I wasn't going to be watching it. When they got back they were upset that it was out completely and that "some jerk out it out". I was in no mood to have my little Dottie go up in flames that night. Smokey says, "only you can prevent forest fires" and I take that seriously. I have my grandmother Smokey Bear cookie jar on my counter and see him every morning. I love that sweet old bear.

9. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

Wasn't Smokey a cub about 40 or 50 years ago? That bear must be getting old.

10. Theresa

Theresa Novice

Unfortunately, we've seen this too. I can't believe adults are stupid enough to endanger not only themselves but other people and a campground! On one memorable camping trip, it seemed that the responsible people who put out their fire were in the minority!

When I see this, I report it to the campground host. A reprimand from the host seems a bit more "official" than a word from a fellow camper, who's easy enough to write off as a crank.