First 100 Nights - Allan and Fran

Discussion in '100 Nights' started by Craig Edevold, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Craig Edevold

Craig Edevold Administrator Staff Member

10-pound Tigger

One Ton Buffalo

Allan Hendrix and Fran Govean (allan_fran)
    August 20,2012

GETTING STARTED WITH VEINISSE

My dad had started to build a teardrop from scratch in 1950 or so. There were those plans
    in Mechanix Illustrated. He built the axle, stored it in the garage of the new house
    he was building, and passed away in 1962 without doing more than move the axle around
    a little when it got in the way. The last time I looked, it was still there, no worse for wear
    but certainly no closer to completion, either.

Fran and I began thinking about teardrops after seeing the Huell Houser show on classic
    teardrops around 2003. We also started with the idea of building a new one, but the
    memory of that axle dissuaded me. I can’t speak for Fran but she didn’t push for a home-
    built, either. Then we thought of rehabbing a “classic,” but again that axle was on our
    minds. Finally we decided to investigate new factory models. A lot of Internet research
    showed we could get a cheap one for a few thousand bucks, but it would just be a trailer
    shell with a shelf for a “kitchen” and off you go. We could get expensive, luxurious
    modern teardrops for the cost of a new car; no further comment. Finally we found the
    Camp-Inn website, liked what we saw, and asked for an estimate in June 2006. Delivery
    would be June 2007...

We went ahead, waited out the year, and took delivery of our “Veinisse” in Necedah
    on June 8, 2007. She is what’s now a Model 550 with some options and accessories.
    Veinisse means something like “road elf.” It’s easy to pronounce if you know a little
    Norwegian. We call her Nisse (two syllables) for short. We took an initial week to drive
    from our home in California’s Sierra foothills, through Nevada, Utah, Wyoming, South
    Dakota, Minnesota and Wisconsin to the Camp-Inn factory.

Pick-up day was interesting. We had just hooked Nisse to the truck when Cary came
    out to say there was a tornado alert, the tornado was nearby and coming our way. We
    put Nisse back in the shop and got ready to run to the storm shelter if we heard a big
    wind coming. We spent an hour or so before the “all clear.” We went down to nearby
    Buckhorn State Park, got our second set of tornado instructions from the campground
    host, and spent the night in a very nice campground with one other camper. Everyone
    else had scrammed. There was plenty of wind, but nothing approaching a tornado.

We had a fine several days heading back across the northern tier. A couple more
    tornado instructions, but no problems. We visited the Kensington Runestone Museum in
    Minnesota. It was a nicely done little museum, focused on the runestone and the history
    of immigrants in the area, and several rungs up the ladder from the usual hometown
    collection of everything that didn’t sell at the garage sale.

We spent a couple of days at Theodore Roosevelt National Monument, another high spot.
    The first night a ranger came by to warn us that there would likely be big thunderstorms

that night, lots of lightning, and we should consider whether we wanted to leave. If not,
    he said, when we hear a train coming, hole up in the outhouse. The wind picked up.
    There was thunder in the distance and coming fast. Already a long line of Class A motor
    homes was grinding up the road to the top of the bluff, on the way out to Medora. What
    with everything coming our way, the last place we wanted to be was on the top of a long
    open butte. Why on earth would anyone decide to take a Class A up there? Even Nisse
    would be a dandy lightning rod. We and our two dogs spent a cozy night in Nisse. The
    lightning was everywhere, heavy rain squalls as the cells passed over, the racket was
    incredible, but otherwise the night was uneventful.

The next night Fran woke me up to reprimand my Shi-Tsu for being noisy. He was
    chewing or licking or something. Tigger was in fact asleep, and “something” was a
    huge bull bison grazing about six feet from our screen door. Tigger woke up and began
    to growl low and deep, making it clear that he, 10-pound Tigger, would tear out that
    buffalo’s throat if it got any closer. I’m sure it would have chuckled indulgently if a bison
    could, as it respectfully moved off to a new patch of grass.

We had smooth sailing from then on. Our trip home was 20 nights and a little more than
    4600 miles. Nisse behaved perfectly, we were comfortable throughout, and we were
    committed to more adventures. Family health issues slowed us up in 2009, but Nisse has
    been busy otherwise.

What have we learned?

Check your equipment! One day the electrical plug fell out of the receptacle on the
    bumper, bounced for 200 miles on the pavement, and got ground down to a sliver. I
    found it when I noticed sparks on the pavement as we pulled into a campground for
    the night. That took the next morning to fix. Another day the ball bounced out of the
    trailer hitch on a 10-mile downhill from Angel Lake to Wells, NV. Everything worked
    OK until the bottom of the hill. No damage; I had crossed the chains correctly; lesson
    learned. (A corollary lesson – you simply can’t see the trailer if you’re towing with a
    large vehicle. If something feels funny, get out and look!) Yet another time we heard
    the water pump running as we pulled into our driveway after a long day’s travel. I guess
    I had left the pump switch on – the one that shines bright red so you can’t miss it – and,
    coincidently, the spring clamp holding the hose that feeds water to the pump had come
    loose. It filled the under-sink storage, not the gray water tank, but again, no real damage.
    A trip to the hardware store for a screw band clamp and a couple of hours sticking my
    head under the sink time and time again got it fixed.

Take a good look at the little amenities other campers have put on their teardrops. Any
    group camping events are great for this. We found out about the remarkable Tear-E-Z
    (“tare easy” not “tier easy”) paper towel holder and the wonders of yachtsman’s kitchen
    gear at the Northwestern event last summer. I show off the canvas covers padded with
    that foil-colored corrugated insulation I made for our Coleman coolers. They extend the
    life of our ice by at least 100%; they’re great for boondocks camping. And the folks at
    Camp-Inn are always improving their product and sometimes have kits to upgrade the

older units. It’s worth checking.

You will be asked about your trailer. Some are just looky-lous, but many are genuinely
    interested in getting one just like yours. On that first trip home, we had two cars full of
    South Dakotans follow us for 30 miles until we stopped to take a breather, just to ask
    us some questions and take some pictures. Keep some of the brochures to hand out.
    You’ll get used to the stock questions: Where do you sleep? (And ...you’ve got to be
    kidding). Can you stand up to dress? Don’t you hate to cook outside? Don’t your toes
    get cramped?

On the other hand, people will look at your trailer in the campground while you’re not
    around, so a little security consciousness is a good idea, too. We have a hitch lock, a long
    tie-out cable, and locking lug nuts. We also lock the doors even for a short trip to the rest
    room (by the way, that answers another question you get asked), unless we know for sure
    there is no one else around.

So, that’s Nisse’s story about how we got started. There are a lot of adventures in Fran’s
    logbook: Yellowstone, Zion, Great Basin NP (the highest and coldest), fall color in the
    Sierra, the most beautiful single campsite on the West Coast (El Capitán State Park near
    Santa Barbara). Portland, Seattle, the Mendocino coast. Dispersed campsites around
    the Great Basin. As of August 2012 the logbook shows 19 trips, 24,000 miles and 118
    nights, with many more to come.

2. Little Patriot

Little Patriot Junior Ranger Donating Member

Thank you for sharing. I learn something each time I come to the forum.

Your experience raises a question or idea. Is there a checklist that one can refer to as you set up and get ready to leave camp? You know, 'do this first, then that.'
    A checklist that would help someone from forgetting to do something crucial to the safety and care of the TD? It could be laminated and kept with the camper.
    I have not read the manual, so maybe there is one in there already?
    I remember seeing a surgeon once, using a checklist prior to operating. I jokingly asked him if he'd done the surgery before (I was the patient.) He replied that it was standard procedure in all operating rooms.

I hope to place my order for a CI TD in October.
    Deb and Kyle

3. AnnaSteve

AnnaSteve Novice

Allan and Fran great story and thanks for sharing. :)

4. rushthecat

rushthecat Novice

Enjoyed reading your story. Safe travels!!

5. Jim and Sue L.

Jim and Sue L. Junior Ranger

Great adventure and good ideas. We haven't come nose to nose with a Buffalo yet (and no moose, either), but we are heading to Yellowstone after CICO. We have high hopes.

Like the bit about the cooler cover. I have been thinking about making one, but would rather buy it if available. Haven't seen one anywhere. Where did you get yours? Bass Pro, Cabella's?

Anyway, keep traveling and sharing your adventures.

Thanks and ...

Camp On,

Sue and Jim

6. jfocallag

jfocallag Junior Ranger Donating Member

Deb and Kyle,

There is a checklist on the back of the manual. You will find that you add to it like I added to make sure that the cover for the 110 port is closed.

I also added to check to make sure I have the tables. I take the tables out and put them in the garage when packing the galley. One trip I forgot to put them back in and had an unwelcome surprise when I got to my destination.

Joan

7. pat walsh

pat walsh Junior Ranger

Alan and Fran,
    good read thanks. I have not settled on a paper towel holder will check that one out.

8. Biggie

Biggie Novice

Pat - I've been checking out the paper towel holders recommended here by various people - most seem to be no longer made. :( I almost ordered the "Perfect Tear" paper towel holder, but now I keep seeing reviews that the ratchet system that prevents the roll from unraveling fails after a short time. If you find any good prospects, please post.

9. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

Terry & Julie,

The paper towel holder we have in ours was one I picked up at Kitchen Collectibles at the mall in LaCrosse. It was $15 & I know they still have them. I really like it as the towels do not unroll or loosen during travel. It fits perfectly in the hatch, almost as if it were made specifically for it!

:cool:

10. Biggie

Biggie Novice

Betsey - Gee, I can't tell you how much I love this forum! I appreciate your fast response! You've allowed me to end my paper towel holder search! I'll be headed to the mall in La Crosse to make my purchase this Saturday! Thank you - Julie

11. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

Craig mounted ours on the first spar (the one closest to the latch) on the right side of the hatch.

I will post a picture of it tomorrow so you can see exactly where it is located & what it looks like.

12. Little Patriot

Little Patriot Junior Ranger Donating Member

Thank you so much, Joan.

I just discovered the search window on this forum. Typed in 'checklist' and everyone's posts on the subject came up.
    This forum is wonderful.

Deb

13. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Betsey, is it their Perfect Tear holder? Do you use a weight to keep the towels from unrolling? We have what looks like a similar holder, but I'm using a rubber band on it when the hatch is open.
    I remember some people had the holder with a slot to feed the towel through, but haven't been able to find that one for years now...

14. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

Ken,

I think it might be...It looks like this one:

Paper Towel Holder

The nice thing about it is that it has a ratchet that keeps it from unrolling or from pulling off too many towels at once. And the roll fits snugly on it, so there is no moving around at all.

15. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

That's the one. Ours is very similar. But it does need a weight hanging over it to stop it from unrolling in a breeze.

Thanks.

16. rushthecat

rushthecat Novice

Carol found the Kamenstein Perfect Tear Paper Towel Holder at Bed Bath and Beyond yesterday.

17. Bunni

Bunni Novice

Mike,

That's the one we have. Works well unless it's really windy. I wrap a small strap of Velcro around the paper towels when it's windy.

Meribeth

PS
    I'd love to go shopping with Carol!

18. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

I just put a rubber band around the end of ours and it holds things too. Easy!

19. AllanFran

AllanFran Newbie

I haven’t seen cooler covers for sale, although someone must manufacture them. We designed and sewed ours with help from Julia (of Toodles). They’re made of medium weight canvas from a huge roll in some hardware store in Utah –we got 7 yards at $5 a yard and I wish we’d bought more. The canvas encloses silver-colored “corrugated cardboard” insulation about 1/4” thick, sold at Home Depot for about $10 per 24”X10’ rolls. (Think of those gadgets you prop up behind your windshield to keep the sun out of your car.)

Although I’ll keep trying to post pictures, bear with me on a verbal description. Somehow I can’t seem to make the pictures go into the file.

The bottom is a folded canvas tube sized to fit snugly around our Coleman metal coolers. It’s just slightly narrower than the bottom part of the cooler is high, so it doesn’t drag on the ground. The top edge of the tube, all around the cooler, is open so the insulation slips in and out. We cut and seamed holes for the handles through the canvas and insulation, and these help keep the cover in place.

The top is a shallow canvas box, again two-sided and sized to fit snugly over the top of the cooler and extending down to meet the bottom tube, along the split between cooler top and bottom. We left an open overlap in the inside back of the box top to insert the insulation. For two of the covers we made a canvas hinge to hold the top and bottom covers together. I left off the hinge on the last cover to see how it works, and there’s really no problem. The top slips up a bit when I open the cooler, but I can push it right down into place as I close the cooler. Just put your finger through the joint between top and bottom to operate the latch.

I’m just learning to sew (or maybe trying to recover memories from long ago of watching my mom sew). I didn’t make a pattern – just cut a piece of folded canvas a little oversize for each part, sculpted the structure with a little pinning to show me where to sew and cut. The side tube is easy. The box cover was a little tricky, but you cut and sew the corners inside out, and you end up with a neat box. It’s a little like mitering a crown molding: better than a crossword puzzle for keeping Alzheimer’s at bay.

Someone else might prefer to mock up the cover with paper or old bed sheets, and maybe get everything right the first time...

We did in fact get the “Perfect Tear” paper towel holder, installed on a little plywood fixture between two ribs on the right side of the galley hatch. That way I didn’t put screw holes through the aluminum by mistake. No problems so far with the ratchet, but the wind will whip a long stream of towels off the roll in an instant, so it’s functionally just as bad as the ratchet failing. I stole an idea I saw at the Northwest Campout last year. Someone had draped a chain over their towel roll to protect it from gusts. I hung a piece of light twisted link chain from a screw eye in the fixture, long enough to go around a full roll and hang down to keep the paper in place. I came across a neat stainless steel icon of a TD, about 3” long, and used a split ring to hold icon and chain together. A CI key fob would do the same job.

This worked so well that when we had a similar problem with our TP roll at a remote campsite, I fabricated something along the same lines from a piece of twine and a short piece of piñon branch through which I bored a hole with my Swiss army knife. It works well enough that we put the item in our drawer so we can use it on our next trip, too. If you don’t camp out in the brush you probably don’t need one.

20. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

That is a fairly common addition to a paper towel holder in a teardrop. I think the first time I saw one was 6 or so years ago. There are lots of teardrop designs that people have come up with, most made of wood, some even in the shape of a CI. There are people who sell the chains/teardrops online. Ours is the CI key fob.