First Excursion

Discussion in 'Adventures & Excursions' started by Lane and Michael, Jul 4, 2017.

1. Lane and Michael

Lane and Michael Junior Ranger Donating Member

The weather was variable, but last week Lane and I took our first trip together in the Firefly. (I hope we are not taking someone else's name.) What a great little camper. As we expected it attracted some attention. I do wish that the first words out of people's mouths were not, "How much does it cost?" I don't like talking prices. One guy kept at me, and I finally said that it is hand made. He shut up.

We were especially proud that we managed to attach the the side tent without having practiced beforehand, and we were also glad that it stayed up in the gale and that it stayed dry until the middle of the second night when the rain found its way inside which made for an unpleasant experience in the early morning light before I was awake enough to realize the rain had not stayed where we planned. That it stayed dry as long as it did was a small miracle given the conditions.

We hope to take it to Ontario next month. At this point it is just under 1000 miles.

2. BL

BL Newbie

It always amazes me when people ask me how much mine costs. I feel like saying,'Well...tell me how much you make in a year and I will tell you if you can afford one'. Honestly the best response I have is they are like a car, the base is 8K and the more options you add, the more expensive they are.

3. My husband tells them the base price also and states, " after that it depends on the options you select." That seems to suffice.

4. GhostOrchid

GhostOrchid Junior Ranger

Nice to hear that I'm not the only one annoyed by the how-much-does-it-cost question. But since when was the base price 8K?

We saved for a long time, but for some reason feel sheepish stating what we paid, thinking it sounds like a lot of dough, especially considering the prices you see in the used markets for full-size campers/trailers.

Rather than replying with "if you have to ask, you can't afford it," (which is what I feel like saying), I just hand them a brochure and say, "You should check the website. They've gone up a lot since we bought ours."

Randy likes this.