First Long Haul For #873

Discussion in 'Long Haul' started by Ron & Judy, Jun 29, 2017.

1. Ron & Judy

Ron & Judy Novice

On the road for our first long haul late May-early June. We had a blast! We’ve treasured the simple joys of tent-camping for 40+ years, and LOVED the benefits of tear-drop camping. We found set-up and take-down to be very easy, allowing for one-night stays and minimal concerns over weather. We had several sites with electrical and water hook-ups and couldn’t believe how luxurious this felt.

Traveling facts:
    Travelers
    : Ron & Judy, Wisconsin
    Dates: May 23 – June 10, 2017
    Trailer: 2017 Ultra 560, #873, “AJ”
    Tow vehicle: 2013 Ford Edge
    Total miles traveled: 5,884 in 19 days
    Number of nights: 13 nights camping, 5 frequent traveler hotel reward nights
    Number of states traversed: 10
    National Parks and Monuments: Great Sand Dunes NP, Grand Canyon NP, Petrified Forest NP, Bandelier NM, Chimney Rock NM
    Number of campgrounds: 7

We started our camping adventures with a 4-night stay at Abiquiu Lake, NM where we encountered major winds every afternoon into early evening. We used our galley side screens and under-storage lids as windbreaks, which made cooking interesting. But it worked. Day trips included Bandelier National Monument, Los Alamos and Ojo Caliente mineral hot springs.

Kaibab Lake, Williams, AZ offered a base for Grand Canyon NP adventures and a drive to Jerome over a “primitive” road – sans AJ, of course – on our way to Sedona. Our most interesting stay was Fool Hollow Recreation Area in AZ, offering concrete paved campground roads and camping pads. We could avoid stepping onto the ground if we wished! We were surrounded by large fifth-wheels and motor coaches. Ron had the neighbors laughing as we began to set up: “Wait until we inflate it!”

We visited Petrified Forest NP in AZ and wandered some trails. Our stop at the Very Large Array in NM was fascinating! We lucked into a guided tour and learned a lot about the research being conducted in this astronomical radio observatory.

We spent several nights camping in three TX state parks. We explored Austin’s music and bats, and enjoyed reconnecting with Judy’s cousin after many decades of living separate lives.

Along the way, we ate roadside lunches, campsite breakfasts and dinners, and a few brewpub dinners. We learned a lot about cooking with a cast-iron skillet that we had sitting on a basement shelf for years. Refurbished it and will never let it sit idle again!

Overall, we learned why so many campers have chosen Camp-Inn. The galley setup is so convenient, the cabin is comfortable and the Fantastic Fan was all we used for temperature control. I guess we’re saving the A/C for another time. Our new Coleman cooler and cozy kept ice blocks frozen for days; the stove is amazing! Another benefit: not having to haul water from a campground pump. Lovin’ this life!

Attached Files:

2. Tom & Diana P

Tom & Diana P Novice

Sounds like an amazing trip! We've passed the VLA several times, but I never thought to stop in. We will next time. :rolleyes:

You were very fortunate not to need the AC in Texas in May-June. That's unusual for sure. I'd even call it heavenly! LOL

Diana

3. KathyBob

KathyBob Junior Ranger

Just read your story! Sounds like you had a great time. We just returned from a trip to Michigan. I'll send your pin out tomorrow!

Kathy

Tom & Diana P likes this.
  4. pbaker2225

pbaker2225 Junior Ranger Donating Member

Nice story and great pictures. I went there in May without my Camp Inn. Went with a friend that I didn't want to sleep with. lol. I want to go again with my trailer and see even more of that area. Very interesting and beautiful.