First long haul trip in 2006

Discussion in 'Long Haul' started by jodennis, Jan 1, 2014.

1. jodennis

jodennis Newbie

Hey all, Jolene from California checking in (finally). We've taken several trips in both my original 550 Ultra #42, and our current 560 Ultra #163. This little story is from my first long haul trip with my now-husband, Luke. For my first sabbatical from work, in 2006, we took my VW New Beetle TDI with my 550 #42 on a large Western states National Park tour from July 24-August 25th. In all, we covered a bit over 8500 miles, and went through 13 national parks and a couple national monuments. Memorable stops on this trip were the 4 days we spent at Yellowstone, finding out we were expecting our first child in Colorado (altitude makes for BAD morning sickness), seeing Carhenge in Nebraska, The Mammoth Site in SD, and showing off my old stomping grounds in Madison, WI to my beau. We STILL talk about this trip and my husband recreated many aspects of it for our kids later on (another story I'll post later). We averaged about 25mpg with that bug towing the trailer. Sadly, both are gone now, but what fun we had.

2. pbaker2225

pbaker2225 Junior Ranger Donating Member

It sounds like a great trip. Congratulations on the trailers, trips and babies. That is a really cute outfit. The 550 on VW look like they belong together. I'll be waiting to hear more.

3. KathyBob

KathyBob Junior Ranger

Jolene, sounds like you are long overdue for your long-haul pin. PM me with your mailing address and I will send you your pin. Kathy

4. David Olson

David Olson Novice

Sounds like you had a great trip too. Congratulations.