First of 2 shakedowns this weekend

Discussion in 'Adventures & Excursions' started by Jim Carter, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Jim Carter

Jim Carter Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

We will be taking the Flapping Flamingo to Raccoon Creek State Park this weekend for a Dutch Oven Gathering (DOG). First time for 2 nights in a row.

Then the next adventure will be Memorial Day weekend in Ohio for a (wait for it) Dutch Oven Gathering.

That will give us two short trips before we head off for three or so weeks this summer. And of course there will be a DOG on that trip too. In fact, the National DOG in Kansas.

Now, if Spring would just get its act together we could really enjoy ourselves ;)

Cheers!
    Jim

Jenn, Evan, Tour 931 and 1 other person like this.
  2. dustinp

dustinp Ranger Donating Member

Amen! Last year ice out on the lake we live on was a more normal April 4th....this year, as of today we still have 2 ft of ice, and vehicles were driving on it as of last Friday when our latest snow storm started and dropped another foot of snow on top of it.Winter weary.:eek:

3. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

If it ever stops raining I need to meet the lawn. Enjoy your shakedown.

4. I am guessing you don't want to hear me complain about the cold weather in SC while you are under a foot of snow.

Jim Carter likes this.
  5. dustinp

dustinp Ranger Donating Member

No problem.....it's all relative;)

Warren Mary Ellen likes this.
  6. Jim Carter

Well, it did snow all day today but none of it stuck here is western Pennsylvania.

7. Lynne & Scott

Lynne & Scott Junior Ranger Donating Member

Sounds like a wonderful first trip of the year. As I look out at the recent 12” of snow the dakotas saw, I am thinking my first venture may be a few weeks out ;) Enjoy!!

8. Of course it won't be long before it is 500 degrees or something ridiculous here. That is when our Camp Inn will hit the NC mountains though.

9. Van_and_Terri

Van_and_Terri Ranger

We are currently at Hunting Island State Park in SC and the weather is perfect for camping. We found our first live Sandollars today. Headed to Skidaway Island in GA on Thursday.

10. On our List of places to go in SC. We are over 200 miles away in the northwestern corner of the state. Have a good trip.

Van_and_Terri likes this.
  11. Jim Carter

Well, it turned out to be more of an adventure than we expected. Thanks goodness it was only as low as 27F Friday night/Saturday morning because our furnace will not kick on. We used the furnace on the trip back to PA from Necedah so I know it can work.

Saturday night/Sunday morning it only got as low as about 40F.

We were toasty warm under the covers but not so much getting up. Much like tent campingo_O.

We had great fun cooking with the other Dutch oven enthusiasts.

And then it will be a call to Cary When I get a chance tomorrow to see how I can fix it or get warranty service.

Attached Files:

Jenn likes this.
  12. SethB

SethB Ranger

Are those pictures of your contributions? Nice looking breads!

13. Jim Carter

Thanks.
    Yes the small ones are a vegetarian version of pepperoni rolls with sun dried tomatoes, mushrooms, bell pepper & garlic and the loaf is a multigrain sour dough.