First Trip Help Needed: Necedah-memphis

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by Memphis David & Emily, Mar 3, 2018.

1. Newbies here: We are picking up our 550 in Necedah in two weeks. We had hoped for a few nights of camping as we work our way home through Iowa and Missouri. My research is indicating that State Parks have the water turned off (no restrooms or showers) until April or later. I’m guessing you can make suggestions for a fun trip home with our new teardrop. We are really excited about it, but things aren’t looking good for the March trip. We definitely don’t know how any of this works.

Any suggestions?
    FYI: Hannibal, MO is half way for us. We planned 3 nights/4 days (785 miles Total)

Thanks,
    Memphis David & Emily

2. lorieandkeith

lorieandkeith Novice

Dear David and Emily:

I am in Iowa City. I don't think you will find county or state parks open that early here. My recommendation is Walmart. There is an app for truckers that tells you where all the Walmarts are, whether camping is allowed, and the rules.

I'm sorry I can't think of anything else.

Lorie

3. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

You can shower at most truck stops for about $5.

4. jfocallag

jfocallag Junior Ranger Donating Member

Do you have the Allstays app? It looks like you might have better luck once you hit Missouri. Not sure what your route is. Look at National Forest campgrounds as well as state and county campgrounds. They may not have running water but some do have pit toilets. Good enough for an overnight stop. If all else fails, there are RV parks.

5. dustinp

dustinp Ranger Donating Member

As anxious as I'm sure you are to bond with your new baby, I think Camp-Inn will store it for you until the weather is a little warmer and more conducive to finding usable camp grounds along your route home. There is still a good possibility of snow and salty road conditions that time of year, something that these beautiful teardrops aren't very fond of, and need attention paid to remove quickly.
    If that is not an option, that mileage is doable in a day with two drivers, or at least getting into MO would be, where you might have better luck with finding open camp grounds.

6. lorieandkeith

lorieandkeith Novice

FYI - the weather for the foreseeable future looks awful. Cold, rainy and wind. Maybe Dustin has the best answer.

7. Ben

Ben Ranger Donating Member

I agree that if the roads are going to be salted along the way it would be better to wait if possible. However you'll have to make the trip sometime. The way I plan trips like this is to use GoogleMaps. Put in origin and destination and see what routes are quickest or most scenic - depends on your goals. Then I'd figure out how long I want to drive each day which will let me know where to search for the night. I usually prefer state parks to commercial RV parks. Like many others, I use Allstays. You can search by state using a map and select various criteria (Ex. Open year round). A quick search this way for your route - Necedah to Memphis would run through St. Louis. There are 2 state parks just outside of St. Louis that are open year round. At the Dr. Edmund A Babler state park, the water isn't turned on till April 1st but sites with electric are only $19/night. However, "During the off-season (November through March), potable water is available at the frost-free water spigot located near campsite 36."

Another hand website I like is "Campsitephotos": Campground Directory - Campsite Photos
    They certainly are not as comprehensive as one would like but for the campgrounds that they do cover, you can get a decent idea of what the site is like before reserving it. The above mentioned state park is not covered by campsitephotos.

I'd recommend bringing a space heater for this trip. It's sure nice to have a warm cabin when it's cold - especially if a cold tent is your frame of reference. Ben H

8. Jim Carter

Jim Carter Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

I have noticed that the KOA's seem to be more likely to be open with showers/restrooms available. I am picking mine up next week and that is where I was able to find a campground that was open with facilities.

9. mariusz

mariusz Junior Ranger

I slept in rest areas, truck stops numerous times, and never had a problem, ;)

10. Sky bear

Sky bear Novice

Speaking from experience I would strongly advise that you have CI "wrap" you trailer for protection. For a
    modest amount ($50) you will have some level of protection from all the mag chloride, etc. various DOT's
    spread on the roads. You won't be able to use your trailer if you use this method but you'll be glad you
    didn't if snow is forecast. Use a motel and then enjoy your unblemished trailer when you arrive home. If
    the weather turns out great then take the wrap off and camp. The other smart alternative is to do as others
    have suggested and have CI store your trailer until a better forecast is predicted.

11. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

I wish I had done this.

12. Randy

Randy Ranger Donating Member

There is always the delivery option. When you factor in gas and trip expenses, it may be a good investment for some.

Randy

13. rotus8

rotus8 Ranger Donating Member

Running water shouldn't be a requirement, though operating toilets are! The water tanks in the trailer should be plenty for the trip (if they don't freeze!), especially if you don't intend on cooking large meals with lots of dishes to wash. As for showers, just be dirty for a couple of days - it's camping!

Tour 931 likes this.
  14. Thank you for all the kind replies. We’ll let you know how things develop. Praying for an early thaw.