Fresh water filling funnel

Discussion in 'Tips & Tricks' started by rotus8, Jun 27, 2015.

1. rotus8

rotus8 Ranger Donating Member

When we are boondocking, our water in the trailer tank lasts about a week. On longer trips I carry two fresh water 5-gallon cans for backup. It is quite convenient to have the water in the trailer tank, but pouring from a 5-gallon can into the tank filler is quite difficult as my cans have no spout. I have siphoned using our fresh water hose, but I now have a better solution. I purchased a Lisle 17232 Right Angle Funnel for $12. These are available at various auto supply places, but I got mine off Amazon. The funnel comes with two angled bends in it for getting to awkward places. I cut the funnel just above the lower bend and it now goes into the tank filler and provides a perfect entry for dumping my water can into.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. GinaNBob

GinaNBob Novice

Great idea. Thanks for sharing

3. Jim and Sue L.

Jim and Sue L. Junior Ranger

We use a cut-off water bottle. Yours is much better. Thanks for the tip!

Sue and Jim

Kevin S likes this.
  4. Randy

Randy Ranger Donating Member

On order, thanks!

5. Chuckwagon

Chuckwagon Junior Ranger

I wonder if it's "food grade" plastic?

6. AlCat

AlCat Junior Ranger Donating Member

good question, chuck. I checked, but found no answer.

Of course, the hose I use to fill the TD's water tank may not be food-grade, so....

-Al

7. pbaker2225

pbaker2225 Junior Ranger Donating Member

I would not think food grade plastic would be necessary when it is only used as a funnel not used long enough for any leaching to happen.

8. adrianneross

adrianneross Junior Ranger Donating Member

I like your funnel. Thanks for sharing!

I have a couple of collapsible buckets (Seattle Sports) that I fold up and keep under my sink. If I fill them up about 3/4-full, they're less likely to tip over and the edge makes a little "spout" when I pour out the water. They do a pretty good job filling up the water tank - there's a little bit of leaking but not too bad - I bet your angle funnel would help. Two buckets = approx. 1/3 water tank.

Also, the collapsible bucket is handy for storing chip ice (from the gas station) in a cooler - if you put the (5-7 lb) ice bag in the bucket, it will melt in the bucket rather than all over everything. More or less. Assuming it doesn't tip over.

Chuckwagon likes this.
  9. Wade and Nan

Wade and Nan Novice

Nothing beats a "right handed funnel." But ours comes close.
    We visited a fermenter's shop and got a food grade funnel and tube/hose for filling our tank. $3.50 for both.
    It is still a bit of a wrestling match solo, but since we are married...
    Now a right handed food grade funnel, that's what dreams are made of.

10. Monica & Bill

Monica & Bill Novice

Thank you for this great idea. I bought this funnel, and will cut it down as you did. Thanks again for posting!

11. Hey rotus8... I got one of those funnels and cut it as you suggested... works GREAT! Thanks for the tip.

--Ken (The Short Short Trailer)

rotus8 likes this.
  12. fernlane

fernlane Junior Ranger

this is the really cheap version that's available everywhere and works great. Just cut off the narrow end so it'll fit into the trailer water filler. $1.39 at Advance ...

iur.jpeg

r dickson
    550 #645

Kevin S, TearDragger and dustinp like this.
  13. Ben

Ben Ranger Donating Member

This is the same funnel we bought for a very different purpose. It fits great into a 1 gallon water jug - stays in place without having to hold it. This is kept in our side tent for those night time "nature calls". I'd recommend getting 2 different colors though if used for both purposes.

14. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

I don't really have anything to add to this thread as I have no experience with a sink in a teardrop. But I am learning a lot.

15. Tom Sutor

Tom Sutor Novice

I saw a video (Andrew White) of an overlander using a shaker siphon or rattle siphon, so I bought one at a truck stop for $10 or so. It works great. I put the 7 gallon aquatainer on the counter of the camper, stick the siphon in, shake it 4-5 times and water gets sucked into the tube, the other end of which is in the camper filler spout. Takes a minute
    or so to drain 7 gallons into the camper and the only lifting is getting the aquatainer onto the counter. No holding a heavy water container while pouring into a funnel. My son, who is a full-time RV'er, uses one now.

16. Les Izmore

Les Izmore Junior Ranger

This was intriguing, so I went looking for this. Here is one recommended by Amazon:
    Amazon.com: SUYIZN Siphon Hose Pump, Shaker Siphon, Moves Up to 3.5 Gallons Per Minute - Perfect for Transferring for Gas, Fuel, Oil: Automotive

And here is a video showing it in use:

I don't know that we would use this very often, though this would be very handy to have in Mexico, to get 5 gallon jugs of water from the reverse-osmosis stores into the camper's water tank. You gotta love the simplicity of it.

17. Randy

Randy Ranger Donating Member

Ordered, thanks!

18. Kevin S

Kevin S Ranger