Furnace Not Lighting Initially

Discussion in 'Electrical & Mechanical Issues' started by LisaNKevin, Dec 31, 2016.

1. LisaNKevin

LisaNKevin Junior Ranger Donating Member

We're camping in N. Florida for New Year's (Happy 2017!) and it's cold, mid-20's. Tried the furnace, only cold air then shut self off. I turned it back on and it worked. A few hours later, same thing. Cold air, turned off, tried again, success. Any thoughts?
    The tank was recently refilled for the first time.
    That's not a blurry picture, it's frost!
    [​IMG]

2. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

This hasn't happened to me, but I'm pretty sure that there's a valve on the tank that can freeze shut.

3. klint74

klint74 Novice Donating Member

Had a similar problem this year, Campinn fixed a loose wire in thermostat. Furnace works fine now.

4. Tom & Diana P

Tom & Diana P Novice

When our propane tank was newly filled, our furnace did that (in TWO previous non-Camp-Inn trailers). It was explained in the owners manual (of one or the other) that when the propane tank has been newly installed, as it would be if you just had it filled, there can be a bit of a lag in getting propane through the line to the appliance. If that happens, the furnace's built-in protection for the electronic ignition will shut off when it doesn't sense propane. That might be the case with yours, as it worked the next time you turned it on.

LisaNKevin likes this.
  5. LisaNKevin

LisaNKevin Junior Ranger Donating Member

Belated thanks for all the input on this question from last year.

6. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

That is a good idea Bear. My furnace only worked the first night. I've been emailing Cary and he had me doing some testing. It turned out to be a faulty altitude compensator which should arrive in the mail today. It is a bummer I had the furnace problems as it was getting down into the teens but Camp-Inn Customer Service is tops. I just chalk everything up as being part of the adventure of owning a teardrop. Besides my old Little Guy didn't even have a furnace.

7. Ben

Ben Ranger Donating Member

Is the altitude compensator the same device as the propane regulator?

8. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

No. The propane regulator is connected directly to the tank and the altitude compensator is an electrical device in the furnace area.