Furnace Furnace Option - Needed?

Discussion in 'Camp-Inn Options & Accessories' started by jeepers29, Mar 16, 2014.

1. jeepers29

jeepers29 Newbie

Hi everyone, we are considering purchasing a camp inn and wondering if the furnace option is necessary. We live in Texas and like to start camping in early spring. We also look forward to camping in various locations during the summer (north of here:)) - appreciate your thoughts

2. Kelly

Kelly Novice

I camp primarily in Canada (from May to September) and do have the furnace option on my trailer. The furnace has only been "needed" a couple of times. The first time was on my trip home from the factory after picking up the Raindrop early in the Spring. The second time was when I was camping in the Rocky Mountains when the weather was cool: sleet and rain.

I have also used the furnace at times when it really wasn't "needed" to take the chill/dampness out of the cabin, but did because, well, it's there to use.

It probably depends on how far North you plan on travelling as to whether you need a furnace. If you plan on camping in areas with electrical services, you might find a small portable heater works well for you. If this interests you, have a look at some of the threads about preferred portable heaters.

I hope this helps you out a bit.

Kelly

3. skissinger

skissinger Ranger Donating Member

As with anything, it's personal choice. For me I chose not to get the furnace option, and I like the additional storage space that provides instead. What I do for cold nights is I have a 12v mattress warmer (only a single, because that's all that is made currently; although some people have been lucky enough to score a queen size on places like ebay).

If I have shore power, I have a small heater as well--but I only used it twice last year. It was either "on" or "off"--so that's why I rarely used it. I've been casually looking for a different one that has a timer, but only half heartedly. I suspect that it will be one of those gear items I don't take this year.

I did just buy (literally, a week ago) a 12v electric blanket that has a 30 or 45 min timer; so I don't know if I'll use it or not--we'll see how often I use it this year.

Keep in mind I'm just a weekender; people that go for long trips or full time might have different needs.

As other people have said on this forum, what you take with you changes as you work through what you really need and want!

4. jeepers29

jeepers29 Newbie

Thank you both. I'm leaning towards no now - We have a family of 4, so will need all the space we can get :)

5. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

Well, up here in the PNW area, I believe it's "Must Have"...

I believe there are additional threads on it, but I, for one, am glad I got it... the storage space you might save by not getting it is minimal... you can carry whatever you would pack in it inside the cabin or in a container in the car...

Like a Fire Extinguisher, you don't need it until you NEED IT....

and trying to put one in aftermarket, well? But I guess the Electric ones work.. assuming you always have electrical that is..

6. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

I agree with Frank. I also agree with everyone else. We have used ours several times, and I am happy to have it, and it is out of the way which I really like. We also seldom camp with shore power so the small furnaces everyone is talking about don't work for us. Plus, I travel with a kid, so having the heat in my bed would be nice, but doesn't help him at all.

I think it depends on how you camp, and where you camp. I didn't get the a/c, but got the furnace and in the NW that works. I have camped in 104 degree temps, and it was hotter than blazes (by our standards), but the fan worked great. It was the one time I was wishing we had a/c. I have used my furnace quite a few times and was pleased to have it. It sure is nice to wake up, fire up the furnace on a 'crisp' morning just to take the chill off before getting out of your warm, cozy bed and changing clothes. Only takes a few minutes!

As they say, different strokes for different folks!

Best of luck with your decision!

7. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

A Camp-Inn could easily last your for 20 or 30 years. During that time, will you find yourself in a place where you wish you had the heat? If the answer is no, then don't get the heater.

8. AlCat

AlCat Junior Ranger Donating Member

I have been lucky to have only camped when/where no heater was needed. But I plan to use the TD much more in the coming years, and I suspect I will be sorry that I didn't buy the heater.

You can always be more efficient with your storage inside the trailer, and decreased storage is really the only reason not to get the heater.

9. Pick

Pick Novice

My concern about the furnace was mostly centered on the space. Knowing owners explained that it wasn't all the much to lose. I'm glad I have ordered the furnace and the AC as I'm positive there will be times when I will be glad I did. Also another owner pointed out that should you ever decide to resell it will be to your benifit to have these options installed. The next owner might require them.
    MDP
    Mike & Denita

10. michaelo

michaelo Novice

We spent almost a month in Texas on Dewey's maiden tour. We loved it, the beautiful well designed and thought out campgrounds in some of the prettiest country we've been to in a while, we pretty much had the campgrounds to ourselves and the hiking trails were pleasantly devoid of people, just us and the plentiful wildlife. The daytime temps were the perfect sixty something, but the overnights got pretty chilly, so we were so glad we had our furnace, it was essential really, I don't think we could have camped as long or enjoyed winter in Texas without it. Seems such a shame that more people are not enjoying off season camping in Texas, maybe it's because they don't have a comfortable Camp-Inn trailer equipped with a furnace.

Michael

11. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Are you camping where there is electricity? I have found a 400 watt personal heater works perfectly. A 1200 watt will cook you out!

The heater is nice because it's always there even if you don't have power. But the bad news is, it's always there...taking up valuable storage space. I'd rather have storage for food or clothing....or a warm blanket than to have another single tasking appliance.

I've been out as low as 28 degrees with a single person. That's where I discovered the 1200 watt will cook you. The campinns are pretty cozy,you don't need a lot...just enough to know out the chill.

12. Snudley

Snudley Novice

I've been in my Raindrop when the weather was well below freezing, and have never regretted passing on the heater option. I live in Texas, so the air conditioner here is the only no-brainer, but my future will include a lot of cold and high-altitude trips.

The small portable furnaces work wonders in the small space, and I'll be trying a heated mattress pad soon. If electricity is scarce, there are D/C powered ones, and perhaps and inverter will do the trick for A/C pads.

13. Steve & Ellen

Steve & Ellen Novice

I really thought about that for sometime. I went with no furnace. Since I was coming from year round tent camping, I figured I could handle the lack of heat. I hunt a couple of weeks every January and know it can get cold. A couple of years ago it got down to the mid teens. It was ok. If I knew it would be in the teens every time, I would get the furnace. I do have a cook tent with propane heat ready to start when I wake up.

14. dhutchin

dhutchin Novice

I'm a retired pig vet and we commonly heat pig barns with propane heaters. I got called out to a farm that was complaining of lethargic pigs and some mortality. I went in the barn and within a few minutes I was down. Luckily, when I went down the O2 levels were higher at floor level. I was able to crawl out. Turns out the propane heater was malfunctioning and was blowing carbon monoxide.

I'm sure some folks are thinking…Hmmmm, that explains a lot.

I'm certain that the propane heaters sold with the campers are fine and dandy. I can't ever trust them again, personally. Please make sure you ventilate your cabin properly when using a gas heater. I don't want to scare anybody, but make sure your equipment is operating properly.

I use a 12 volt mattress pad that works fine down to mid 20's. When I have power, I have a small cube type ceramic heater. It's a 1200 watt heater that has a switch to only use 600. It also is thermostat controlled, so it will cycle on and off without cooking me out.

2 people in that tight cabin will heat it up pretty quickly.

15. Mick'nSarah

The newer campers come with carbon monoxide detectors too. They can be a little finicky sometimes, but I am sure they are a good thing to have. We always have the vent crack at least a little and usually the windows slightly too.

16. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

Yah, same here, slight vent opening and both, usually, cracked open... depends on the temp on how open, but it is always open.. if too drafty, I'll spread out the jacket that's hanging on the hook to block a direct draft... It works... so far I guess, I'm still here... heheh..

17. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

The trailers have a small vent in each door that allows for some air exchange regardless of whether the windows are cracked or not. I imagine that this is a safety feature. That said, the windows should still get cracked - otherwise, at the very least, there will be some condensation to deal with.

18. Mick'nSarah

Evan, I thought I read those were not really for safety, but due to the air tight nature of the trailer, it allows doors to open and close easily. They of course would push air in and out as doors open and shut, but I was under the impression they didn't do much in ventilation otherwise. Am I wrong there? Cary?

We use the furnace for short spurts of time, but I have really appreciated it. We rarely have plug in, and it just makes for a little more comfort.

Oh, and the other variant for the windows is rain. I have kept the vent cracked, but closed the windows with torrential down pours. It might have been a toss up between rain coming in and condensation though!

19. Pick

Pick Novice

Oh so that is what those dodads on the door are for. I thought they were lights. Good to know.
    MDP
    Mike & Denita

20. Bechtle

Bechtle Novice

Furnace may not be a required item, but it sure Is nice on cold mornings or evenings for that matter.

I may have been one of the first to order for a CI Carbon Monoxide Detectors, if not the first.

Our experience was a nearby larger generator that was emitting sufficient Carbon Monoxide to trigger the CO Detector in my camper which was parked at least 30 feet away. ...lesson: the CO may be coming from your neighbor rather than your own rig.

rare, true. But enough of a scare for us to order a Propane/CO Detector.