Galley Bin Storage boxes

Discussion in 'Custom Additions' started by skissinger, Dec 31, 2014.

1. skissinger

skissinger Ranger Donating Member

I've seen this customization at gatherings, and I've been secretly hoping for them for a while. My "stuff" in the bins naturally is stored from bottom up; so it seemed like the top portion of the bins was wasted space--as others have noticed and customized. So this year, after whispering in Santa's ear (otherwise known as my brother, who has the tools and the skills), for Christmas he made me these. Well, for Thanksgiving, but I told him they counted as xmas gifts from him for the next several years! With my "stuff" in the bins, we measured how much space was available on each side for depth of the drop-in drawers--so for depth everyone would be different.

He made them out of poplar, and left them unfinished. After researching a bit, I decided to finish them with tung oil. It takes several weeks and several coats--but hey, it's winter. In the north. It's not like I was going to be taking the camper anywhere. After several weeks of applications, wait a week/sand, re-apply--here's the beautiful finished product. Has yet to be road-tested, so for all I know they won't be as good as baskets other people have used. But they sure are pretty!

The left one rests on wooden platforms as other people have done. The right one, we noticed there was a slight gap on the right side (where the battery is) and using small brackets, and angling the left side; instead of a drop-in it's more of a slide-in. The right is also less deep than the right, but I don't think that will be an issue.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Right side:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Storing the right one:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Edit: Pictures re-uploaded--hopefully they stick this time!

2. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Wow, they look beautiful! That's a great gift, for sure.

3. Old_Prospector

Old_Prospector Junior Ranger

Beautifully made and a great fit. The idea of putting items that get used the most near the top of the storage earns you an A for efficiency school. The tung oil application highlights the poplar grain. It just pops!

4. Little Patriot

Little Patriot Junior Ranger Donating Member

Thanks, Sherry.
    I thought I was unable to view because of my device.

Deb

5. skissinger

Pictures re-uploaded. Not sure what happened there.

6. pbaker2225

pbaker2225 Junior Ranger Donating Member

Cudos for your brother on a job well done. I just saw the pictures and they are really pretty. My little baskets work great but certainly not as pretty.

7. Little Patriot

Little Patriot Junior Ranger Donating Member

Very nice, Sherry.
    Thank you for sharing.

8. Jim and Sue L.

Jim and Sue L. Junior Ranger

Ooo.. those are sooooo nice! Me want!

Lucky you to have such a thoughtful and talented brother.

Sue

9. Pick

Pick Novice

Very nice, much better than my plastic bins kind of keeping with the quality of a CI trailer I'll want to upgrade mine soon.

10. Cary Winch

Cary Winch Camp-Inn Staff

Camp-Inn versions coming soon. Prototypes sitting on my desk as I speak. Great timing Sherry, what a coincidence.

Cary

11. skissinger

12. birder526

birder526 Novice

Beautiful! And functional. Thanks for sharing!

13. birder526

birder526 Novice

Cary, would be interested for our special teardrop!

14. hiadventurer

hiadventurer Junior Ranger

Cary, will this be ready for new builds soon, if so I maybe interested...THX R

15. Towbert

Towbert Novice

Cary; +1 for our April build (hopefully).

16. Cary Winch

Diane, Michael, Ron and Brad,

No problem. We will be able to set you up.

Cary

17. Mark_inMA

Mark_inMA Novice

I like the sturdiness and more integrated look of the wooden boxes.
    I think that Sherry's boxes are beautiful and would thank a sibling for such gift, but the sides
    in her pictures seem a bit thick which makes the boxes heavier than ideal. (pro for plastic)
    Many bedroom drawer side & back panels are thinner even though bedroom drawers are bigger.
    I also like the side ventilation holes in the typical Target plastic boxes for holding fruit.

One usage point is the right bin. Not intruding in the frying pan slot & handles is good.
    I prefer a box just between the hinges for the right bin. That allows me to SEE & change the state
    of the Battery Master Switch. Also, with table already on the counter, I occasionally just lift the right
    bin lid a bit with my left hand and feel with my right (even if dark) to confirm the switch is Off.
    A box to the battery wall would require removing the table, fully lifting the lid and moving the box. :mad:
    This actually happens most in dark storage when I can't be sure I turned it off before closing the hatch.

Confession:
    I just discovered a bottle of olive oil I missed inside the upper right cupboard. I put it and my spices
    there to avoid needing to open a bin with plastic cutting boards of meat and veggies in front of the stove.
    I was VERY lucky, the frozen oil didn't crack the bottle!

18. birder526

birder526 Novice

Hi Cary,

Sounds good! Is there a photo you can post?

Will we be able to use the "frying pan slot" still?

Thank you!!

19. Cary Winch

Diane,

Not yet. Once they are fully available. We are assembling a short run of them today actually though, so it is getting close.

Yes, the frying pan slot will be usable as long as the pan does not stick up too far above the slot.

Sherry is stopping by this morning to pick up a cutting board. I am going to give her a sneak peek of the prototypes.

Cary

20. birder526

birder526 Novice

Look forward to hearing from Sherry!!