Galley Table Leg Securing Tip!!!

Discussion in 'Other Gear & Equipment' started by Tear Stream, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Tear Stream

Tear Stream Newbie

IMG_1978.JPG Hello all...My first post here!

I've read TONS of great info on this forum so many thanks. I figured it was time to pay it back to all you fine folks with a tip I found really useful.

I was always concerned that my 2 year old was gonnna hit one of the galley table legs and cause a disaster. Therefore I scoured the forum and found all sorts of good tips. But none addressed anchoring the table leg to the ground in a way that I felt sufficient.

What I was concerned about was:

1. Keeping the table leg from sinking into soft grass under weight.
    2. Elevating the leg as needed due to an un level site.
    3. Anchoring the leg to the ground preventing accidental "kick outs"
    4. General "keeping the leg out of mud and dirt" so it remained in a semi clean storable condition.

As a result...I bought leveling blocks that were solid and and I had drilled a hole in them to accept a tent stake. Then that stake was lashed the table leg and via a Velcro strap securing the whole assembly. Result... a nice wide anchored foot that would resist lateral movement,... and also keep the leg from sinking into soft ground.. All seemed perfect.

However..when on our first trip camping we were in Wal Mart and I stumbled upon these Camco leveling blocks with open structure. The were far superior to my drilled out solid blocks with Velcro. Not only do they allow for tent stakes to be driven wherever you want.. but coincidentally the center "hole" accepts the galley table legs just fine. So not only do I have a nice clean table leg, I have a table leg that is on a sturdy foot anchored to the ground without Velcro. What could be better?

So the blocks I use are these:

Amazon.com: Camco 44512 Yellow FasTen Leveling Block with T-Handle, 2x2 (Pack of 10): Automotive

Give them a try.. I LOVE THEM!

smitz, Jim and Sue L., Jenn and 3 others like this.
  2. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Yeah, it's a great idea. We do the same. Originally bought them for leveling the trailer, and quickly saw how useful they'd be for the table legs - especially on uneven or sloped campsites.
    20170911_083206.jpg 20170911_083134.jpg

Tom & Diana P likes this.
  3. tdldjdx2

tdldjdx2 Newbie

Thx. Just ordered the blocks.....lol

4. Tom & Diana P

Tom & Diana P Novice

Tear Stream, for a first post you hit it out of the park! Thanks for this tip. Just ordered a set. :)

Diana

5. Tear Stream

Tear Stream Newbie

So happy to help! Glad to hear it's been a helpful tip . Really a multipurpose item... I myself have two stacks of these and they have been worth the precious space they take up! Leveling the trailer AND table legs!

6. Les Izmore

Les Izmore Junior Ranger

I like the blocks as a solution, but I am too cheap to spring for a complete set, when we will likely only use one. But this a problem that we have hemmed and hawed about for a long time now.

This thread has spurred us to action. I bought a 2"x3/16" eye bolt and drilled a hole for it near the bottom of the table leg. We put a 12" tent stake through it and drive it in to the ground to secure the table leg. I suspect it will work fine. Total cost $1.50, and it uses no extra storage space and doesn't interfere with the table leg in any way.

We would have done this years ago, but in the past we spent too much time in developed campgrounds, where the table leg was resting on asphalt or concrete. Our rooftop solar panel has changed all that, so this solution will likely work for us a high percentage of the time.

7. Dave & Karen

Dave & Karen Newbie

Thanks Tear Stream... We are preparing to take delivery of our 560 on Oct 12th.
    I've looked at the 560 pictures hundreds of times and thought I noticed all the details until you addressed the single leg on the table. I can see where there is a potential problem with stability. I have a set of those blocks and will use them as you recommended...thanks again!

Dave & Karen

8. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

It was very windy on my last trip and the tables kept getting blown around. I was afraid the wind would catch them and damage them so I took them off. Has anyone ever had damage from the wind?

9. RShep

RShep Novice