Gas Struts For The Hatch

Discussion in 'Wish List' started by Hilditch, Nov 6, 2010.

1. Hilditch

Hilditch Novice

On the average the hood on our ’04 Camry gets opened once every 6 months. Cary claims that struts need to be used on a regular basis or they will leak. Our original struts on the Camry work just fine, thank you.

Cary is probably right about cheap, 1983 or underrated struts. However he is not right about his across the board dismissal of high quality correctly sized struts for the hatch. Southern ladies and old men like me find the hatch quite heavy and would enjoy having struts.

I predict if CI would offer them as an option, they would soon become standard – just like the leveling jacks and tables.

Hilditch

PS: It sure is too bad that Camp-Inn refuses to send out a mass communications to advise the other 250+ owners who haven’t stumbled across this site yet that this site is here and about other things, but instead they keep up the BS about going to do so when there is time. I asked about such communications three years ago and was told that they do that – but haven’t received one yet. Nothing about Camp-Inn, the CICO, new accessories, new seals, upgrades, etc. Zilch. I hear more from Toyota than I do from Camp-Inn. This does seem suspicious to me.

2. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

I'm inclined to agree that there must be a good quality strut out there that would work. Perhaps it would be worthwhile to offer it as an option. Sure, there could potentially be problems if the CI sits for a really long time, but that's a decision I'd prefer to have the option of weighing against how much I planned on using my trailer, and who was going to be opening the hatch.

On the other hand, I can't fault Cary and Craig too much for going out of their way to make sure that a potential problem - even one that could be a bit obscure or theoretical - doesn't occur. That's a big part of the design and attention to detail that goes into creating Camp-Inn's reputation for quality.

Regarding the PS:

I'm not surprised that you hear more from Toyota, considering that they have a full-fledged (and paid) marketing department, where Camp-Inn only has poor, overworked and un-paid Betsey (who also just started the new school year.) As I could use a dozen clones of myself to get to everything on my list, I suspect that the "BS about going to do so when there is time" is the truth - rather than a diabolical coverup to keep the other owners in the dark. :)

3. abccampinn

abccampinn Novice

Well said Evan! (especially the needing a dozen clones of ones self part)
    Charlie

4. Trippster

Trippster Novice

The hod struts on my 2005 Grand Cherokee crap out when they are really cold. I have replaced them once.
    For what its worth.
    Sorry for responding to such an old post though.
    Ken in Louisville