GasCheck Propane Gauge

Discussion in 'Other Gear & Equipment' started by rotus8, May 17, 2014.

1. rotus8

rotus8 Ranger Donating Member

I just stumbled on this $30 device for determining the level of propane in your tank: GasCheck Propane Gauge

I was going to buy a scale but thinking about removing the tank from the mount and probably also disconnecting the hose makes using it a pain. This device is very clever, it uses an ultrasound beam to detect the presence of the propane. You press it against the tank at different levels and it indicates propane inside or not, at that level with a red or green LED. Have any of you tried this? It's a little pricy but if it works it could be really useful.

If there is no experience, I will get one and let you know.

2. rotus8

rotus8 Ranger Donating Member

I received this and it looks pretty good. I tried it on my home 20 lb. BBQ tanks and it is a bit pickey, but it works fine. The tank must be bare painted (no shrink wrap cover like the exchange ones) and fairly clean and not rusty. You also need to press the tip quite hard against the tank to get a consistent reading; it works by sending ultrasonic waves into the tank and needs a good contact with the tank wall. I think it will work well on the Camp-Inn 11 lb. tank (when I get mine in October), though the trailer mounting band will limit where you can sense the level. Of course when the level is near the bottom is the most important thing to know and that part of the tank is clear. The sensor may fit in the gap in the band where the clamp is; the sensor is about 11/16" in diameter.

I tried it on a 1 lb cylinder and it did not sense the propane at all.