Gear Tie Down

Discussion in 'Other Gear & Equipment' started by rotus8, Feb 3, 2018.

1. rotus8

rotus8 Ranger Donating Member

I made a gear tie down system to keep our stuff from shifting around in the back of our Xterra. We often go to some pretty remote places with roads bad to non-existent and things shifting around can be a problem, even downright dangerous with gas cans and an auxiliary battery. Plus I hate hearing things rattling when I am on the road.

I started with a couple of pieces of E-track. E-track is a metal strip used by truckers to tie down loads. Do a search on Amazon for "E-track" to see what is easily available. There are lots of configurations of track, and many types of attaching things from ratchet straps to attaching rings. There are lots of ways a tie down system could be made depending on your needs and vehicle, and the result is flexible in what you are taking with you. This describes what I did - use your imagination.

I started by making a plywood piece that fits in the cargo area of the Xterra. It is sized so it can be used with the second row of seats up or down. It is bolted down into the stock cargo track that is embedded in the floor; I had to add a couple of threaded inserts into the track for the bolts. The board has two strips of E-track set into it.
    MVIMG_20180203_140422 (Medium).jpg
    I cut two pieces of E-track and screwed them down to my board, then built up around the strips with more plywood to make a level floor. There are a number of gadgets available to attach things to the E-track, I got a couple of ratchet straps and nylon loops with metal rings.

Here it is with our Dometic fridge tied down, plus the fridge auxiliary battery and one gas can. The fridge is held in place with four 1" cam-lock straps into tie down loops, and the battery and gas can are held with a single ratchet strap and tie-down ring.
    MVIMG_20180203_143347 (Medium).jpg

One final picture, adding two water cans and another gas can at the back. All three are held in with a ratchet strap and a couple of tie down loops.
    MVIMG_20180203_143619 (Medium).jpg
    I added a couple of pieces of cardboard to keep the ratchets from banging against the gas cans. By the way, those gas cans are NATO specification cans, virtually leak-proof and indestructible, I have no qualms about having them in the passenger compartment; don't forget the spout though, it's unobtainable on the road (don't ask how I know).

We are all set for a trip boondocking in the desert, leaving Monday. The hold down system keeps things in place even when doing some serious off road driving (leaving the 560 in the campground though).

Bear, AlCat, Evan and 4 others like this.
  2. Randy

Randy Ranger Donating Member

Another brilliant Rotus creation. I wish you would stop it, you keep giving me ideas! :) What's the gas for, do you carry a generator?

Jenn likes this.
  3. rotus8

The gas is for the Xterra. Out in the southwest desert fuel stops are far apart and can be quite expensive, and off road crawling consumes quite a bit of fuel. An extra ten gallons extends the range and gives peace of mind, I also always keep at least five gallons of water while off road in case of an emergency.

Jenn and Randy like this.
  4. rotus8

I forgot to add that when we get back from one of these excursions and the trailer is put away, all the equipment - gas & water cans, fridge & battery, second spare tire, high lift jack, winch & anchor, etc. are put away, the four bolts are removed and the tie down board goes in the shed too, returning the Xterra to grocery getting and kid hauling service.

Jenn likes this.
  5. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

Take lots of pictures and post them.

6. rotus8

@Tour931, you wanted pictures, here are some:

P1010602 (Medium).JPG
    Crossing Death Valley on the way to the Saline Valley area of the park

P1010617 (Medium).JPG
    Crankshaft Junction

P1010626 (Medium).JPG Camp set up at the Eureka Dunes. We were the only ones there.

P1010661 (Medium).JPG Eureka Dunes area from the top of the dunes, early morning.

Jenn, AlCat, Tom & Diana P and 3 others like this.
  7. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

Thanks for the pictures. Love em!