Griddle?

Discussion in 'Camp Cooking & Dutch Ovens' started by Randy, Oct 21, 2015.

1. Randy

Randy Ranger Donating Member

My young friend that I took camping last weekend was begging for pancakes. Can anyone recommend a compact griddle that works well with the stove?

Thanks!

Randy

2. Dean Pinter

Dean Pinter Novice

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  3. We found the same griddle but in the half size - leaves one burner free to boil the kettle which we find helpful!

4. Randy

Thank you guys. I ended up going with the Camp Chef Griddle because it has a grease drain (love bacon!) and an optional carrying case. I'll report back on how it works out.

Randy

5. hiadventurer

hiadventurer Junior Ranger

We also have the half sized lodge griddle....love it and store in a used t-shirt..

6. Randy

Camp Chef griddle doesn't fit well over the stove because of a round heating element on the underside. Back it goes. Going to be expensive to return it! I'm such a sucker for anything that comes with a case!! :/

Given the weight, I'm going to go with the single wide Lodge. I'll do my bacon in the frying pan on the other burner.

7. Michel

Michel Newbie

8. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

Interesting, I've had a Camp chef 2 burner for years with a single and a double griddle and it plopped right in. Or are you using another, non chef stove?

In fact, I just donated mine and plan on getting another one so I can start cooking again, with the single griddle and BBQ.

I like Camp Chef, those burners are like jet engines, well the Hi-performance one was...

Sorry it didn't work...

9. Randy

Frank,

I have the stock CampInn stove. The Camp Chef griddle doesn't sit flat on in. Bought a Lodge single and ground down one of the side handles, fits well now.

Randy

10. Mark & Casandra

Mark & Casandra Junior Ranger

I found this Nordic Ware Bug Pancake griddle http://www.amazon.com/Nordic-Ware-Zoo-Friends-Pancake/dp/B000T9Y10M/ref=sr_1_1?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1462293267&sr=1-1&keywords=nordic+ware+pancake & thought my little guy (10 at the time) would love it....turns out my whole family & any other breakfast "strays" I feed all think it's really cool! They have other designs available also. It is a bit more effort figuring out a good way to turn these, but I think the "fun factor" is worth it.
    [​IMG]

I also like this Caphalon Nonstick 11-Inch Square Griddle http://www.amazon.com/Simply-Calphalon-Nonstick-11-Inch-Griddle/dp/B001AS85QW for pancakes, grill cheese etc.

Both of these griddles fit over one burner of the stove, leaving the other side free for frying eggs, bacon, boiling water, etc. And they both fit & store nicely in the small vertical slot of the right side storage bin.

Casandra

11. Doug & Amber

Doug & Amber Junior Ranger Donating Member

Nice!!!! Like it.

12. Jay & Valerie

Jay & Valerie Ranger Donating Member

See, but then you end up with a bunch of bugs in your pancakes.

13. Mark & Casandra

Mark & Casandra Junior Ranger

My apologies........I need to set things right. The Caphalon Nonstick 11-Inch Square Griddle I mentioned earlier in this thread does NOT fit in the frying pan bin slot because of the way the handle is angled/attached. :/
    I took it out of the camper a while back & have been using it in the house this winter; but could have swore I used to store it in that slot.....but it did not fit when I tried to put it back in that slot for our last couple of camping trips.......maybe it grew.

Casandra

PS: LOL Jay. Are you scared of a little extra protein in your pancakes?