Hading South to Gold Rush Country, California

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by Mick'nSarah, Jun 9, 2013.

1. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

Hi CA folks!

We are heading south to Gold Rush Country (Plymouth, CA to be exact). We are going to camp in Oregon on the way and take the Lad to Wildlife Safari and Crater Lake. I am wondering between the OR border and Sacto, is there anything worth stopping to see along the way to break up the drive? We will need to stop for lunch, and it would be good to stretch the legs a bit too. We will likely take I-5 all the way down. Not ideal, but quicker to get to our destination. We will be down for a wedding, but would love to explore the area a bit too. It is already feeling like a whirlwind, but any suggestions are welcome!

Thanks!
    Sarah

2. Tom Ruggles

Tom Ruggles Novice

Sarah -- Lake Shasta Caverns is a pretty good stop and an interesting tour, especially if it is hot outside. I don't think the caverns themselves change in temp from 55 deg all year around. Have driven I5 numerous times from So Calif to Washington and have to say that once you come out of the Siskiyous and drop into the Central Valley there isn't much all the way to Sacramento. The I5 was definitely not designed for sightseeing out the car window for some 600 miles.

Good travels to you.

Tom

3. Mick'nSarah

That was kind of what I was thinking but thought maybe, just maybe someone would know better. We used to do the drive to Shasta a bunch, and when you get south of there, it just isn't all that pretty and it is boring. It has been a while since I did the drive too. Probably will break out the movies for the Lad on that portion and hope for the best.

Thanks!

4. Jim and Sue L.

Jim and Sue L. Junior Ranger

Sue and I have spent a lot of time around Lake Shasta. Sue's sister lives on Mt O'brien just across from Shasta Caverns, but we have never been there. In the town of Redding there is a great place called Turtle Bay Exploration Park. Natural history oriented, Laddie might enjoy that. The Sundial Bridge over the Sacramento River and a great botanical garden are also at the same park. Burney Falls SP on a an I-5 by pass east of Lake Shasta another must see if you have time. Maybe on your return trip. Beautiful sunken horseshoe water fall that seep out of volcanic cliffs. In Sacramento there is Old Town Sacramento and The California State Railroad Museum
    Fully restored steam and early diesel engines plus walk through Pullman cars. Also up stairs active layout displays of toy railroads. Lionel, Marx American Flyer and more. The also have train rides along the Sacramento River.

Jim

5. AlCat

AlCat Junior Ranger Donating Member

I second Jim's suggestions of The Sundial Bridge; Burney Falls; Sacto Railroad Museum (though Sacto is pretty close to Plymouth)

Enjoy Plymouth. Beautiful country.

6. Mick'nSarah

I just did a blog post about our day last week at Crater Lake. I haven't been there since I was in high school and it was just as amazing and beautiful as I remember it. What a treasure we have in Oregon, we are lucky indeed. I also got to see lots of Clark's Nutcrackers, chipmunks, and we spotted a bald eagle flying over the lake in all it's glory. And to think Ben Franklin wanted a turkey as our national bird. If that had happened, I wonder what we would have eaten at thanksgiving? Hmmm.

Anyway, if you are interested, here is the link:
    http://havekidwillteardrop.wordpress.com/2013/06/19/crater-lake-national-park/

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  7. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

Copied from your blog, but felt might be helpful here too..:

Yah, I stopped by there on the way back from the Mt Shasta Gathering. Beautiful, but the rim roads were still closed at that time and the snow around the lodge was high. Didn't see any campgrounds that were open at that time except before you got to the entrance, some private ones. North rim road was closed due to snow... so had to backtrack and then work around towards the north.. pretty... great spot, fun....