Hauling W/a Vw Jetta Tdi (diesel) Sedan

Discussion in 'Towing & Tow Vehicles' started by irishezs06, Sep 16, 2015.

1. irishezs06

irishezs06 Newbie

Good morn y'all. Maureen here, again.

Last issue of the morn is:

I'm towing my Classic 550 CITDT w/ the above 2013 car. Looks sharp but worried about how low the tow looks; however, it does appear that it was installed correctly.

With the load I'm towing, and as manual suggests the majority of any weight in the trailer either in the galley area or the back or mid/bottom of the teardrop (as well as some in trunk and back seat of car), the ultimate bottom of the hitch before it goes up to where the ball is and then attaches, is only about 5" from the bottom of the hitch to the ground. Yeeeeeesh!

My brother and another gentleman I met suggested talking with someone about getting either a "bladder" or a "bag" as they called it to help lift up the back end of the car.

Has any VW owners, whether a sedan or a station wagon had this issue. I know the wagon can accommodate more tongue weight and towing weight.

Txs, in advance for any ideas/solutions/knowledge.
    Best,
    Maureen aka irishezs

2. Cary Winch

Cary Winch Camp-Inn Staff

Maureen,

The first thing you need to to to help level the car is to unload as much from the tow vehicle as possible and move it to the camper. Trunk and back seat weight is tongue weight and is pulling down the back of the car.

If you move those items to the camper and place their weight as close to the camper's axle as possible it will unload the tongue weight and help level the car.

If you empty the car of all items and get them properly placed in the camper and the back of the car still rides a bit low then your brother's idea of adding a bag is a good one. Shouldn't need to though, my guess is this a loading issue. We will refer to the bag as plan B.

Cary

3. irishezs06

irishezs06 Newbie

Again, Cary, you come to the rescue! You shoulda seen all the stuff I had! Ha!

While reading the manual, too, I learned the safety chains should be crossed prior to hooking it up to the area where they need to be. Michael cut the chains shorter and then put them straight to that area and not crossed. Now that he cut the chain, and once I get the teardrop loaded and stuff out of the b.seat and trunk, I may not have enough chain, capiche?

:)
    M

4. Cary Winch

Cary Winch Camp-Inn Staff

Maureen,

Yes, it is a requirement to cross the chains. You can just stop at a hardware store and get link extension to lengthen the chains back out if need be.

Cary