Height Of Door Openings?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BillE, Jun 30, 2017.

1. BillE

BillE Newbie

Could someone tell me the height of the door opening? I assume that it is the same for all models? Curious what the effect of a much thicker mattress would be on ingress and exit?

2. skissinger

skissinger Ranger Donating Member

Do you mean from ground to bottom of the open door? That's going to depend upon if you get the SUV height or not. So, no, it's not the same for everyone.

Thicker mattress, a few inches doesn't affect anything for me. But you might want to contact campinn. If you can't visit the factory, they likely could put you in contact with an owner local to you so you could check it out in person.

3. BillE

BillE Newbie

No, wanting height of just the opening itself, and if anyone was going to measure, well they may as well check the width, too. I have a crazy idea and need to see if it's possible before admitting what it is! I'll have to contact the factory sooner or later but don't want to bother them when I can bother you guys!

4. Les Izmore

Les Izmore Junior Ranger

You will compress the mattress when you sit on it, so it won't significantly affect the height of the door opening. I'd measure for you, but the camper is back at the campground and there is no cell signal out there. I'll be interested to hear the crazy idea!

5. lorieandkeith

lorieandkeith Novice

I think it is 34in by 34 in. I measured from seal to seal and at the widest point. Now share!!

6. pbaker2225

pbaker2225 Junior Ranger Donating Member

I am still looking for my ideal mattress. I found the CampInn mattress too hard even with three inches of memory foam. At this time I have an air mattress with the memory foam on top. It is quite comfortable but as everyone knows when the temperature is cold it not only affects the memory foam but the air also is cold. A thicker mattress leaves less room in the foot well. I have a 560 so I have my pillows on the sofa and only use the higher part of the foot well.

7. BillE

BillE Newbie

Thanks for the replies. Now share? Well-----see, I can't sleep flat. I generally sleep in a recliner and there is no way to fit a recliner in there! However! I found this online Freestyle Comfort Base | Glideaway

This lightweight adjustable bed frame comes in two 30" sections which join to make a regular Queen. My crazy idea was to talk to Cary about installing one in a 560, perhaps eliminating the sofa to position the bed so the foot section would be clear of the cabinets. A rolled flexible mattress will go in the door. This bed frame is only 3" high and designed to sit flat on a floor (well, actually flat on a box spring or bed slats) but will work flat on the floor. If possible to fit it in there and get it assembled(!) inside, then even I could sleep in a Raindrop!

Jenn likes this.
  8. lorieandkeith

lorieandkeith Novice

Dear BillE:

Hmmm. This seems pretty interesting. Of course Cary is the only one who would be an authority as to the build. I wonder about the two top corners fitting the raindrop design, but if you are taking out the sofas, that wouldn't be difficult. The 3 inch thickness would not be a problem. In terms of use, I can't think of why it wouldn't work. I think with that design, you could probably use it as a recliner to play cards on a rainy day, and obviously, it could go flat if you wanted that for travel.

If you decide to go with a Campinn, you will love it.

Lorie

9. pbaker2225

pbaker2225 Junior Ranger Donating Member

A regular queen would be too wide. I see it in twin extra long but not in a double bed size. Very interesting solution for someone who can't sleep flat. I find the double size bed to be a great width because I have room to tuck the extra width of the blankets down at the sides. I think you need to see a 560 and talk to Cary and Craig to see how they are willing to help you out with a solution.