HELP - I'm Walberizing Today

Discussion in 'Care & Maintenance' started by Bev, Oct 26, 2014.

1. Bev

Bev Novice

Hi all! I'm Walberizing my 550 Ultra today and wondering if I am missing something. I have the correct buffer and pads etc. and I've read everything on 'how to' and following directions. I've spent at least 2 hours yesterday and 4-5 hours today just on the galley hatch and it just looks like a poor job with all the effort (extra large bag of used blackened paper towels). Is there a trick to getting it look good? I'm applying the Walberize evenly and think I am applying equal steady pressure taking it off. I'll go out and do another small section over again, then come in and check if anyone has any thoughts for me. I'm not trying to get it to a high gloss, just refreshed and protected.

By the way, continue to enjoy my teardrop very, very much.....use it all the time!

Beverly
    Camp-Inn #633 'Little Hoot'

2. Pick

Pick Novice

I have no experience with Walberizing yet, dreading the day! Good luck.

3. pbaker2225

pbaker2225 Junior Ranger Donating Member

Hi Beverly,
    I don't have any experience with the walbernize but from your number 633 your trailer isn't much older than mine and I am shocked that you are needing to walbernize so soon. Cary gave me some advice when I picked up my trailer. I was asking about protecting the trailer with wax or Sharkhide and he advised letting it age naturally. When I said I never want to have to Walbernize he said, You don't do that yourself you hire someone else to do it.
    From what I have read on this forum it is a really big job and no one has enjoyed it much. Good luck, I'm sorry I can't be of some help.

4. 1Door

1Door Novice

We have had our 2NA CAN a little over 1 1/2 years. Camping always in Florida (we need to get out more) and all I ever do is wash it after every trip with ZYMOL Auto Wash (from Walmart). There is alot of salt in the air oceanside as you know living in Florida, but our camper looks great aging naturally.
    Don't work to hard.

5. birder526

birder526 Novice

Susan and Alan,

We just changed our CI order to a 550 Special; are you happy with yours? Did you order any upgrades? We upgraded the lights to "Ultra" style and added the front storage box. No AC or heat, stove, TV...

We are very excited about getting it! Cary and Holly have been great!

6. Randy

Randy Ranger Donating Member

Our 560 will be done in a couple of weeks, planning on appying Sharkhide while its still new. I've read a lot of positive reviews on it, including several from this forum.

7. michaelo

michaelo Novice

Hi Beverly
    Dewey is only 1 digit older than Lil Hoot, we have treated our trailer twice since new... we waxed her in the nest last November and then Walbernized and waxed her this last spring. Dewey had some very slight pitting this last spring, by pitting I mean spots that wouldn't come off with regular washing. I experimented on small sections of the skin with the Walbernize alone and was not happy with the result, I found that I could not keep the stuff viscous enough to be effective in removing the spots, it dried too fast and became chalky and ineffective. I swear by Flitz, a metal polishing product that I use on our boat. I found that by putting equal amounts of Flitz and Walbernizer on a rag they would compliment each other and cut through the aluminum oxidation quickly. Yes I polished by hand no machine. Susan and I did our trailer while primitive camping, we spent a couple hours per day over 4 days. Basically we applied the Flitz/Walbernizer in a tight circular motion over a 2 by 2 section on a clean terry cloth towel, we removed the black oxidation with paper towels and waxed with a past wax after and buffed out, all by hand. All in all it would have taken 1 whole day but we spread the work out over 4 days to break up the drudgery. It now looks better than the day we picked it up.
    It's a lot of work but we do get a lot of compliments on the quality of the finish.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Michael

8. Bev

Bev Novice

Thanks everyone!

Michael, you hit the nail on the head as to my experience with the results of the Walbernize. I have a gallon of it, so I'll try equal parts with the Flitz. By the way, what wax are you using, and are you pleased with it?

Dewey looks great! I sure have enjoyed all your posts on the forum, thanks for sharing.

On another note, my latest camping gear is a rod, reel and tackle box. While camping at Fort Desota, the family in the campsite next to me caught their dinner. It was a beauty on their grill that evening! The next day it was a trip to Bass Pro Shop and our local fish hut for me.

Having tons of fun with my teardrop!

Beverly

9. Bev

Bev Novice

Quick update - I'm getting the results I had hoped for using the Flitz Michael suggested. Thanks so much!

10. michaelo

michaelo Novice

Glad that the Flitz is working out for you Beverly. The paste wax I use is 3M boat wax, have used it for years on our boat to combat the harsh marine environment, works great on cars and teardrop trailers too.

[​IMG]

Michael

11. Cary Winch

Cary Winch Camp-Inn Staff

I got to see Michael apply the 3M wax to his trailer and can attest to how well it went on and how great it looked. I was impressed.

Cary

12. Jim and Sue L.

Jim and Sue L. Junior Ranger

My arms hurt just thinking about it. Jim says if anyone wants to demonstrate how well it works, Spamalot is available.

Crazy guy

Sue

13. michaelo

michaelo Novice

When we got to Necedah to pick up Dewey our Mini was covered in dried salt. So glad we waxed our trailer before hatching her, she gleamed and more importantly was protected for our months long trip home. Just a word for the wise, bare aluminum acts a lot like oxidized paint when it comes to using a paste wax. I would only try it on a small section until you get used to it's properties. You have to use a very light touch when getting the wax back off, turning a clean terry cloth towel over and over again to avoid streaks. The results can be impressive in the protection department, well worth the effort and you can skip the gym during wax week!

PS We waxed the Mini before the trip so no worse for the wear and tear as well.

14. Van_and_Terri

Van_and_Terri Ranger

My experience with Flitz has been good. I have used it to polish the leading of several jets over the years with good results. I have recently been using a new product, Nuvite NuShine 11. It comes in two grades, Grade C is for oxidation removal and repolishing. Grade S is for the final finishing. I have learned a secret in removing it after buffing it in. Take a plastic bottle filled with mineral spirits and spray it on. It wipes off very easy. The shine is remarkable!

15. Jay & Valerie

Jay & Valerie Ranger Donating Member

It's all about technique...
    [​IMG]

16. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

Mick says:
    The key is swirl remover at the end. (And the Migagi Technique is also key!)

He is going to polish .e this winter and we will document it for you. We do it every other year, and we go for the duller shine (not the mirror, but more like what it comes with).

17. Jay & Valerie

Jay & Valerie Ranger Donating Member

Michael,

Looks like there are several different flitz products. Can you clarify which one you are using? Perhaps a link to it on their page?

I am getting ready to walbernize our trailer and get it back to factory finish.

18. michaelo

michaelo Novice

Hi Jay
    It comes in paste or liquid, I prefer the paste, less messy.

[​IMG]

The stuff ain't cheap, the best price I have found is from Defender Marine discounter online.

Michael

19. Van_and_Terri

Van_and_Terri Ranger

We agree Flitz paste is the way to go. We have bought ours from Aircraft Spruce and Specialty.

20. dustinp

dustinp Ranger Donating Member

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016