Hi, I am a wannabe with a few questions.....

Discussion in 'Towing & Tow Vehicles' started by Trippster, Sep 25, 2011.

1. Trippster

Trippster Novice

Hi, all,
    I am enjoying this informative forum!
    A few questions that I will post separately.

Regarding electric brakes......do most of you have them? My jeep is wired for them, but I will need a brake controller. Anyone know of the best brand?
    Thanks!
    More questions to come!
    Ken in Louisville

2. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

Welcome, Ken. Good question. I certainly think that brakes are the way to go. As far as the brand of brake controller, I just went with my local installer's recommendation. I think a generic brand would do the job just fine. Of course, you can pay big bucks for a computerized controller, but i don't think it is worth the money.

3. Ladymc

Ladymc Novice

I went to a place called Truck Buddy and the installed the brake controller and wired my minivan for it. Did I need it? I thought the law required it, so I got it. Found out later it wasn't required for a trailer as light as mine in my state. Then I was irritated - paid a lot that I could have saved. THEN, the last time we went out I noticed that everytime I stepped on the brake the van would shimmy and I figured out that I didn't have the controller set properly a(it basically wasn't on.) So I adjusted it and BAM! No more shimmy and the stopping ability increased greatly. So I guess I did need it after all!

4. Trippster

Trippster Novice

Perfect Bill!
    Great info. I will probably get it since my jeep has the basic wiring for it, but doesn't have the controller.
    Thanks again
    Ken in Louisville

5. Trippster

Trippster Novice

I agree......thanks Evan!
    Ken in Louisville

6. Ladymc

Ladymc Novice

Just FYI- that post was from Linda not Bill! :)

7. Trippster

Trippster Novice

Oops...thanks Linda!