Highway 12 / Escalante

Discussion in 'Adventures & Excursions' started by MartiVltori, Oct 19, 2015.

1. MartiVltori

MartiVltori Novice

8 Nights
    583 Miles

Little late posting this. Back in September we did a really great 8 nights along Highway 12.

1 Night up near Bryce on the way down, 2 nights at the Shooting Star in Escalante where my parents met us and stayed in a rented Airstream and then 5 really relaxing nights at Calf Creek Campground.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Great pics of a beautiful area! We were there in August, camping in several area NP's - Capitol Reef, Bryce, and Zion. Wonderful section of the country.

3. AlCat

AlCat Junior Ranger Donating Member

Great pics of great area. II have not stayed at Calf Creek, but we recommended it to some folks who loved it so much they changed the rest of their trip to stay there longer. Did you hike to the falls?

We got lucky a couple years ago and drew a permit for The Wave, and we hiked it in early May. Definitely a part of the world to visit many times!

I also recommend Kodachrome, which is a state park, but beautiful. And it's a really quiet park!

Next time!!

4. MartiVltori

MartiVltori Novice

We did not hike to the falls this time but I have been there before.

We did a day trip to Kodachrome also while we were down there.

5. AlCat

AlCat Junior Ranger Donating Member

when I posted my comment, I had forgotten that Utah is your neck of the woods. I should be getting tips from YOU!!

6. Randy

Randy Ranger Donating Member

Hey Joseph,

Great pictures. What solar panel do you have?

Thanks,

Randy

7. MartiVltori

MartiVltori Novice

Randy,

That is the Renogy folding 100W

8. Randy

Thanks Joe. Were you able to terminate it with a cigarette lighter style plug for plugging into the stock CampInn solar plug on the side of the trailer?

9. MartiVltori

MartiVltori Novice

Yes. I simply used a 25' length of lamp cord, connected the lighter plug into one end and a set of MC4 connectors on the other end.

I find the MC4 cables too stiff and unwieldy not to mention usually too thick to attach to a DC lighter plug.

10. MartiVltori

MartiVltori Novice

Oh and if you want an easy solution for the MC4 side, simply buy the cheapest, shortest MC4 cable you can find and cut each connector off (there will be a male and female) then you can simply crimp the connectors to the lamp cord.

Make sure you get the polarity correct. The tip of the lighter plug is positive. Ensure it goes to the positive lead on the panel.

11. Randy

I'm surprised they don't make an adaptor.

12. pbaker2225

pbaker2225 Junior Ranger Donating Member

Thanks for the tips. Should save some struggling with the stiff wires.

13. Randy

14. rotus8

rotus8 Ranger Donating Member

Randy- the cable in the picture is an mc4 extension cable, male mc4 on one end, female on the other. The title suggests this is exactly what you need, however the description seems to be a generic statement about mc4 cables. If it is what the title says it is this a great find, a super price for something that is really a pain to make. I suggest you call them and ask. If it is the correct thing let us know. I will buy one.