Hillbillie Pie

Discussion in 'Desserts' started by Oysterpot, Mar 5, 2010.

1. Oysterpot

Oysterpot Moderator Staff Member

Hillbilly Pie
    12inch Dutch oven
    1 stick butter
    1 cup milk
    1 cup flour
    1 cup sugar
    1 tsp baking powder
    1 can Crushed Pineapple **
    1 cup coconut more or less
    "Follow Instructions Carefully"
    melt butter in bottom of 12" Dutch Oven
    Mix together flour, sugar ,milk & baking powder in separate bowl &
    pour over melted butter. Don’t Stir Mixture in butter!!
    Drain pineapple & pour over mix. Don’t Stir!!
    Sprinkle Coconut over pineapple in Dutch Oven. Don’t Stir!!
    Bake at 350 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes or until Golden Brown. 17 or 18 coals on top & 8 or 9 underneath DO.
    You can chop up "Fine" your favorite nuts & put on top of the
    coconut. You can also substitute Pie Filling instead of Pineapple.
    The secret to this Recipe is "Don’t Stir"!!

** Use any type of fruit pie filling
    Cherry is choice

Cherry Hillbillie Pie

2. Jean W

Jean W Junior Ranger Donating Member

George,

The delicious taste of Pineapple Upside Down Cake and chocolate cake are dripping off my tongue. A couple years ago I attended a Boy Scout/Geocaching Dutch oven training group. These two wonderful cakes were made for the crowd. I have made them on my own, resulting in burnt offerings. During the CICO gathering, I would like to make these with your tutoring?

So, how about an exchange, great cakes for lessons? Planning on bringing enough ingredients to make 2 of each, pineapple upside down and chocolate.

Jean

3. Oysterpot

Thats a deal I can't turn down. Will see you there. When are you getting there?

4. Jean W

I will be arriving shortly after picking up the 550. Plan on leaving home around 6 am. Should get to Camp Inn around 9 am. Hook up, and be there 5 minutes later. Yeah, right. Of course, you could come to my place Thursday evening. Make sure I am up and ready to leave by 6 am..... The trip from Rochester to Camp Inn is one straight shot on I-90/94 to Hwy 80, about 14 miles to CI.

5. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

Jean,

Plan on it taking about 20 minutes...it's about 14 miles from CI.

:cool:

6. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

It is interesting how many different names these have...we've always called them "Dump Cakes" because you just "dump" everything in. We have lots of variations- spice, pineapple, peach, pear raspberry, cherry chocolate, lemon supreme, etc.

Just a reminder that for the Saturday night potluck, we will be providing the dessert - our signature homemade ice cream & a variety of DO cobblers/desserts.

7. Jean W

I need dessert Friday and Sunday night too!

THen there is breakfast and lunch to consider.

8. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

We provide breakfast for you on Sunday...our traditional "Eggs in a Ziploc" that you can put together for an omelet or a burrito with all the fixings, hash browns, bagels & cream cheese & a variety of juices.

9. Oysterpot

This is a batter (from scratch) "dump" cake. Much better than the "dry dump" not a box mix.

10. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

It's fun to make your own mixes & have them on hand...then just toss them in the galley & throw everything together on site...less time & mess while camping. :) I drive my family nuts because I make most things from scratch...the pantry is full but nothing to eat! :D

11. Oysterpot

OK for you all that are using the 6 inch, 1quart DO,
    cut everything in the main recipe in half, except the can of pie filling.

so it will read 1/2, 1/2, 1/2 flour, milk, sugar.

Oh yeah,I upt the temp to 400 deg. also. You might want to use that temp for the big pie as well.

here's what it looks like.

[​IMG]

12. starlight

starlight Novice

Yum...I think the 6" would be just the right size for us. Thanks, George!

Stelena